OT: MN High School Hockey Thread

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
North won their QF last night 14-0.

Only upset statewide in AA was 5 v 4 game, two of the Rochester's. Century and Mayo. Century won I think.

Wayzata snuck away with a 1-0 W over Hopkins

Section 6AA is brutal. Hopkins had a solid team so I'm not surprised they gave Wayzata a tough game. It will be interesting to see who makes it to the X between E.P., Benilde, Minnetonka, and Wayzata.

Slick Willy*

Section 6AA is brutal. Hopkins had a solid team so I'm not surprised they gave Wayzata a tough game. It will be interesting to see who makes it to the X between E.P., Benilde, Minnetonka, and Wayzata.

Yeah that's a tough section. Holy Angels was good as well they lost to Benilde last night.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm a Holy Angels grad. The hate for our hockey team was real haha. Poaching the best public school players, winning like 10 straight conference titles. I think 2010 was the last year they were any good. Undefeated and lost in the 1st round of sections to Burnsville. Haven't been relevant since moving to a real conference.

My son's coaches are HA hockey players circa 04-05? One of them just quit hockey (ECHL). They say that HA has gone downhill because they no longer give tuition breaks to athletes, unlike when they were playing.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
My son's coaches are HA hockey players circa 04-05? One of them just quit hockey (ECHL). They say that HA has gone downhill because they no longer give tuition breaks to athletes, unlike when they were playing.

Only players I remember playing pro hockey from 04-05 years is Jack Hillen and he is still in the NHL. I don't know if the tuition break stuff was ever true. Their coaching staff used to scout public school practices and grabbed their best players. They have an all new coaching staff and the athletic director was an art teacher or something before he got that position. The football team has gotten better though.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Only players I remember playing pro hockey from 04-05 years is Jack Hillen and he is still in the NHL. I don't know if the tuition break stuff was ever true. Their coaching staff used to scout public school practices and grabbed their best players. They have an all new coaching staff and the athletic director was an art teacher or something before he got that position. The football team has gotten better though.

Nate Hagemo and Jeff Frazee were drafted and I THINK they were 05'. I think Hillen played for CC in 04-05... Did he get drafted?

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I think it is safe to say Edina will be coming through their section. I heard that Prior Lake has some eligibility issues and they were really Edina's only "threat". Apparently they have to forfeit 8 games from the regular season and their starting goalie is ineligible.

I have said on this thread before that he isn't a game changing tender by any means but it still matters at this point in the season.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Nate Hagemo and Jeff Frazee were drafted and I THINK they were 05'. I think Hillen played for CC in 04-05... Did he get drafted?

Ahh that's right. Just looked up Frazee and he plays in Germany. Hillen was undrafted college free agent. Didn't Hagemo end up having a drug addiction problem that derailed his career?

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Ahh that's right. Just looked up Frazee and he plays in Germany. Hillen was undrafted college free agent. Didn't Hagemo end up having a drug addiction problem that derailed his career?

I thought something along those lines happened so I looked it up. He had a shoulder injury that put him out a year and he started to develop an issue with the painkillers. Really too bad.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think it is safe to say Edina will be coming through their section. I heard that Prior Lake has some eligibility issues and they were really Edina's only "threat". Apparently they have to forfeit 8 games from the regular season and their starting goalie is ineligible.

I have said on this thread before that he isn't a game changing tender by any means but it still matters at this point in the season.
Lol for real?

Wonder if it's a situation like when I was at Prior Lake, a bunch of athletes were suspended/ruled "ineligible"/stripped pf captaincies because of a FB picture with a bottle of alcohol in the background :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think I have this former players name... Mike Carmen?

Nope. Cameron Cooper, though it was another guy (also former HA player) who mentioned the tuition break thing. Went to Mankato State 08-12, then ECHL.

Now Benilde and Breck are doing it, among others. Other privates won't go that route.

When did Erik Johnson go there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad