MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah this upcoming card is a legit 7 fights deep w stuff I want to watch. Quite excited.

Formiga vs Moreno
Walker vs Krylov
ZDS vs Kunchenko
Trinaldo vs Makdessi
Moicano vs Hadzovic
Maia vs Burns
Lee vs Oliveira

loaded it up for the Brazilian fans. Trinaldo rly beat alexander hernandez, ppl forget that

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Maia getting 2.5 to 1, that's the value pick on this card imo

My locks are Bueno Silva and Moicano

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
On the ground I think Burns and Maia more or less negate each other (I don’t think they’d be able to submit one another) but Burns actually has decent striking. I imagine that’s why the odds are what they are

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds like Cruz V Sandhagen will co-main at the Fight Night in San Diego. With Poirier/Hooker headlining that's a great top two fights.

Not sure where it leaves Sterling, though.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sounds like Cruz V Sandhagen will co-main at the Fight Night in San Diego. With Poirier/Hooker headlining that's a great top two fights.

Not sure where it leaves Sterling, though.
Dang. That's a hell of a Fight Night main and co-main. It's not even on big ESPN is it?

I'll be glad to see Cruz back, but yeah, where does it leave Sterling? Maybe Frankie if Frankie decides to give BW a go again?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dang. That's a hell of a Fight Night main and co-main. It's not even on big ESPN is it?

I'll be glad to see Cruz back, but yeah, where does it leave Sterling? Maybe Frankie if Frankie decides to give BW a go again?

that was the rumored fight before Sterling needed wrist surgery

Not sure where his wrist is at but if it’s not ready yet maybe he takes the loser of Aldo-Cejudo? If it is healthy I like the Frankie idea. If not then Idk who he should fight, should honestly probably sit out until one of the top guys is available. Maybe run it back with assuncao (but I think he’s fighting Cody soon). Rob Font would be a fun fight but we are probably talking about somebody who is too low in the rankings for Aljamain to risk fighting

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
that was the rumored fight before Sterling needed wrist surgery

Not sure where his wrist is at but if it’s not ready yet maybe he takes the loser of Aldo-Cejudo? If it is healthy I like the Frankie idea. If not then Idk who he should fight, should honestly probably sit out until one of the top guys is available. Maybe run it back with assuncao (but I think he’s fighting Cody soon). Rob Font would be a fun fight but we are probably talking about somebody who is too low in the rankings for Aljamain to risk fighting
I thought it was Frankie-Sandhagen, but then Frankie took TKZ fight on short notice. I must have missed it if Sterling-Frankie were ever linked.

I'd say Frankie or else he should wait for some of these other fights to play out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Edgar/Sterling was supposed to happen at the Diaz/Masvidal card last year, Sterling pulled out due to the injury. TKZ/Ortega was also booked, along with Edgar/Sandhagen. Then when Ortega pulled out, Edgar jumped in there and Sandhagen was left without a fight.

I could see Sterling fighting the Garbrandt/Assuncao winner.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought it was Frankie-Sandhagen, but then Frankie took TKZ fight on short notice. I must have missed it if Sterling-Frankie were ever linked.

I'd say Frankie or else he should wait for some of these other fights to play out.

they were linked even before the Frankie-Sandhagen fights. Tbh I didn’t know about it until I googled sterling’s injury- I knew he was recently in a cast and I wanted to figure out how long his recovery process has been so far and I stumbled upon that Frankie/aljo stuff

Aljamain Sterling announces wrist surgery, withdrawal from rumored MSG bout vs. Frankie Edgar

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's as if Ferguson saw this clip, and decided to adopt the "Lucky Patrick" shtick for himself:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Barboza scheduled to fight Josh Emmett.

Another example of why people can just ignore when fighters do things like this, it's just usually some sort of negotiating ploy.

thats a very high level fight

And also a good point lol. I wonder if he got paid more....although the article I read implied he wanted to be cut because he couldn’t get a fight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Poor Marc Raimondi got booed out of the building and brushed off by Dana when he asked about the coronavirus last week but they're likely going to need to change things up. That event is in two weeks so not having fans in attendance, moving the card elsewhere, having it at the UFC Apex in Vegas, or cancelling the event all together could be possibilities.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would think they'll do everything they can to not cancel the card. Their gate is important obviously but it's probably more important that they get these cards out there to fulfill their ESPN contract.

Having watched so many TUF events, having cards in an empty arena doesn't seem that weird to me.. I'm actually totally fine with it. I don't want to say I'm looking forward to it, but admittedly it would be kind of cool. And let's not pretend the prelims for many of these cards aren't 50-75% empty anyway.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I do think the crowd can impact scoring to a degree so I think this will be the sport at its purest

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would think they'll do everything they can to not cancel the card. Their gate is important obviously but it's probably more important that they get these cards out there to fulfill their ESPN contract.

Having watched so many TUF events, having cards in an empty arena doesn't seem that weird to me.. I'm actually totally fine with it. I don't want to say I'm looking forward to it, but admittedly it would be kind of cool. And let's not pretend the prelims for many of these cards aren't 50-75% empty anyway.
Agreed, they won't cancel. If anything, they'll fight without an audience. Honestly, though, I don't think the UFC will give a shit unless it is mandated to them. They let the legal process decide everything when it comes to criminal stuff, so I think they will follow the government's lead when it comes to public health, too.

I think an empty arena is kind of weird. Doing it at the Apex, though...that could be cool.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Poor Marc Raimondi got booed out of the building and brushed off by Dana when he asked about the coronavirus last week but they're likely going to need to change things up. That event is in two weeks so not having fans in attendance, moving the card elsewhere, having it at the UFC Apex in Vegas, or cancelling the event all together could be possibilities.

Yeah, poor guy :laugh:. Given everything else that has been cancelled or changed because of corona around the world, it was a perfectly legitimate question.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If they start cancelling every NBA game, maybe. Otherwise, I hope not. I just read the NBA has a contingency plan to play games without fans in the stadium if it gets worse. Crazy.

ohhhh boy

You honestly can’t script this shit if khabib vs tony gets postponed again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad