MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You see what Thiago did to the people before Jon? He was never really able to land significant damage on Jon

I may be biased though because Santos is my favorite fighter. Could be giving him too much credit
He landed enough damage to convince 1 of the judges he won. And he would have landed even less damage if Jones put him on his back and rained elbows and fists down on him like he's more than capable of. I mean, this is a guy that took down DC. I'm sure he could take down a hobbled Santos.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He landed enough damage to convince 1 of the judges he won. And he would have landed even less damage if Jones put him on his back and rained elbows and fists down on him like he's more than capable of. I mean, this is a guy that took down DC. I'm sure he could take down a hobbled Santos.

I have no doubt he could take him down, he just might’ve thought it was more risky to attempt it.

Santos landed but there was never really a moment where Jon was in danger. Same can be said about Jon but I think that was the point for him. Take as little risk as possible, keep the belt so you can keep money fights available

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I have no doubt he could take him down, he just might’ve thought it was more risky to attempt it.

Santos landed but there was never really a moment where Jon was in danger. Same can be said about Jon but I think that was the point for him. Take as little risk as possible, keep the belt so you can keep money fights available
Yeah, Jones is tough to hit, but Santos's most likely path to victory was a KO. The more you stand with him, the more time you're giving him to land that shot.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Did it show? He arguably lost the fight, and would have lost it for sure if Santos' mobility wasn't destroyed due to injuries. It was the worst performance of Jones' career and an absolutely awful gameplan.

Jones has had a few of these type of performances(OSP/Anthony Smith). Seems like it’s only a matter of time before there’s a perfect storm that takes him out. I’m not sure if it’s a lack of motivation or underestimating his opponents, but he should be absolutely dominating these guys and he just isn’t. Reyes will be a good test and may bring out thes best in Jones. Or maybe he gets caught?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jones has had a few of these type of performances(OSP/Anthony Smith). Seems like it’s only a matter of time before there’s a perfect storm that takes him out. I’m not sure if it’s a lack of motivation or underestimating his opponents, but he should be absolutely dominating these guys and he just isn’t. Reyes will be a good test and may bring out thes best in Jones. Or maybe he gets caught?
That OSP fight is kind of why I think it is a motivation thing. He looked 'bad' in that fight (still won every round) and then came back and KO'ed DC and smashed Gus (2 of the best LHW in the era) in back-to-back fights. The Gus fight was only a year ago, so it's still in there. I think he just needs a challenge or for someone to piss him off. I think Reyes is pissing him off, so I think we're going to see that killer again. I think we'd see it if he went to HW or against Stylebender, too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Uh, okay then. Can't believe this is where Rory ended up after a decade, definitely not what I imagined for his future when he was 7 seconds away from beating Condit back in 2010. Disappointing, but he just wants secure money now I guess.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Uh, okay then. Can't believe this is where Rory ended up after a decade, definitely not what I imagined for his future when he was 7 seconds away from beating Condit back in 2010. Disappointing, but he just wants secure money now I guess.

Is it secure money? I know the winner gets $1M, but that takes like 5 fights or something to get. He'd probably make $1M if he stayed at Bellator and fought 5 times. But what if Rory loses or has to pull out or something like that? How much guaranteed money is he getting?

Haven't watched him on Ariel yet, but it will be interesting to hear his thought process. Hopefully he's open and honest about it.

I've heard good things about PFL, though, so good for them. Easily their biggest splash signing even if he's not quite what he once was. I'd still rather all the best guys be in the UFC, but maybe PFL can pull them more in their direction than the WWE direction.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I doubt he'll come out and say it, but I bet Rory sees the tournament as fairly easy money compared to who he's been fighting in the UFC/Bellator. Chances are the fights will be a bit of a step down and it's an excellent opportunity to get his career on track.

As for the money, if it's standard PFL style he is still going to get paid a standard win/show contract that he has negotiated for 2 or 3 fights. I'm sure that contract will be an okay payday. Then in the playoff he has the chance to fight 3 times for 1 million bucks. I think the guys who lose in the first round still get 50k for one fight each, 2nd round loss means 100k, and finals loss means 200k. So 50k+ per fight anyway.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me if Rory's getting a pretty good deal from PFL being a well-known, former champ. Like m9 said, if he wins the tournament, it's a good opportunity for him to get a string of dominant wins together and make some good money. And if he goes out early, well, then maybe his days as a professional fighter are over.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rory should be the favourite going in but I don't think there's any guarantee he'll win the tournament at this point. Not everyone in PFL is a scrub and maybe more importantly, he'd have to stay healthy and active. There's no shame in losing to guys like Mousasi and Lima but he just looks like a completely different fighter now. He has taken a lot of damage over the years and there's obviously the change in mentality he has spoken about. He has been one of my favourites for a long time so I hope he has a relatively easy road and wins.

One interesting part about this is that apparently Bellator didn't make him an offer and try to keep him. For whatever reason, that's two organizations now that decided not to keep him around.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
His best competition is probably gonna be Magomed Magomedkerimov and Ray Cooper III. Magomedkerimov might be a bitch to face and he’s gotta avoid Cooper’s power but other than that he should be ok

Also Jared Rosholt is almost the heavyweight king over there, thought that was funny

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Haven't been around for a while, hope all of you are well and had a good end to the year.

I find it interesting that whatever PFL offered him for the standard fight contract, Bellator declined to match. Jimmy Smith made a good point in that whatever Bellator was going to get out of Rory, they got it. He wasn't going to bring in new viewers at this point. But I like this move for Rory, keeps him in North America so I can still watch him, I just hope he doesn't think he's going to waltz to the championship.

Hopefully PFL stays on TSN. The fighters may not be well known to the casual fans, but given the point structure, it makes for some damn good fights.

Final point, Bellator never coming to Canada with Rory was a major fail.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's interesting that Bellator didn't even make Rory an offer. His comments about not having that fire any more must have really scared them off. I guess it's a tough position to be in where a guy who doesn't even want to be fighting could be your champ. Rory losing gives them a clean break and they can move on.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What's the most underrated fight of the year, fellas? I'd say Hermansson Jacare and Poirier Holloway.

I don't have a better answer off the top of my head, but I can't get behind Hermansson/Jacare. Jacare was awful that fight.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
What's the most underrated fight of the year, fellas? I'd say Hermansson Jacare and Poirier Holloway.

Underrated? I mean it was pretty dominant win by Poirier. Basically the punches Max threw didn't bother Poirier. Poirier hit a lot harder, and damaged Max quite a bit. It wasn't a particularly interesting fight imo.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Underrated? I mean it was pretty dominant win by Poirier. Basically the punches Max threw didn't bother Poirier. Poirier hit a lot harder, and damaged Max quite a bit. It wasn't a particularly interesting fight imo.
I guess we weren't watching the same fight. Poirier came out strong and hurt him in the first and at the end of a second. Had a great moment in the 4th when he sliced up Max's forehead with a knee. Dustin's had big moments in that fight. Volume and pressure though was on Max's side as always. He's been more consistent in that fight and had Dustin hurt in the 3rd when he caught him against the cage and unloaded a barrage of punches. Dustin himself admitted after the fight that he was hurt at that moment but bit down on his mouthpiece and decided to swing until Max would knock him out unconscious (that obviously didn't happen). That was a great fight with a momentum going back and forth. Max also outstruck Dustin in most of the rounds. I wasn't sure Dustin won that fight 100% before judges scorecards were read. Poirier had to dig deep to win it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Two good fights and I think the right call in both cases.

Cejudo was likely never going back down and at the very least not anytime soon so get that division moving if you're keeping it around. Benavidez was a no-brainer choice and Figueiredo is an exciting fighter with a few wins in a row.

I don't think you could've gone wrong with either Cannonier or Till for Whittaker's next fight. Should be a good fight and the winner will be right there in the title mix, especially if it's Cannonier. He's on a really good run and I don't think you could deny him after an impressive win over Whittaker. Adesanya has been giving him a lot of props as well and seems up for a potential fight.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Other fights I’ve seen made:

Mickey Gall vs Cowboy Oliveira

John Dodson vs Nathaniel Wood- Dodson seems to be the gatekeeper of the division. If you beat him then you can be taken seriously.

Yancy Medeiros vs Lando Vannata- should be fun

Scott Holtzman vs Jim Miller

Neil Magny vs Li Jingliang

Paul Craig vs Ryan Spann (Low key fun)

Idk if Garbrandt vs Assuncao has been mentioned

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Idk if Garbrandt vs Assuncao has been mentioned

I think this is one of those cases where it'd be in everyone's best interest to get Garbrandt a tune-up fight but they just refuse to do it. Put him in there against someone like Font or Dodson to get him back on track. He has been KO'd in three straight fights and this might even be a tougher fight than his last one. He has the power and skills to beat all of these guys so I wouldn't be surprised if he beat Assuncao but it could easily go the other way as well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So Josh Barnett was supposed to make his return tonight against Ronny Markes but the fight was called off at the very last second due to Barnett being ill

Érik Perez bellator debut fight got moved to the main event and he got starched in a minute by a guy who is 11-7

Disaster of a show for Bellator. At least Joey Davis got another KO win. Tywan Claxton with a UD win.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Josh Barnett was supposed to make his return tonight against Ronny Markes but the fight was called off at the very last second due to Barnett being ill

Érik Perez bellator debut fight got moved to the main event and he got starched in a minute by a guy who is 11-7

Disaster of a show for Bellator. At least Joey Davis got another KO win. Tywan Claxton with a UD win.

Yeah, pretty brutal for the fans. Tonight's card has been okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad