MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Max-Conor is way too risky for Conor/UFC, but Conor needs to win a fight before he gets the Khabib rematch IMO and I think most people see it that way as well. That's why he should fight Poirier, Cowboy, Nate. Someone like that. Someone that he 'should' beat.

Disagree

If Conor loses to Max, well, he lost to a champion on a 13 fight win streak

If loses to Poirier, he just lost to a guy most fans couldn't pick out of a lineup

The UFC should want McGregor in big fights, and that means having a belt on the line

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Disagree

If Conor loses to Max, well, he lost to a champion on a 13 fight win streak

If loses to Poirier, he just lost to a guy most fans couldn't pick out of a lineup

The UFC should want McGregor in big fights, and that means having a belt on the line
Right, but the chances he loses to Max are much, much higher than him losing to Poirier. At least in my opinion. I think Conor beats Poirier rather easily. I think this Max f***s up Conor.

I don't believe Conor will ever weigh 145lb. again, so fighting for Max's belt is not realistic to me. If they fought, I think it would be at 155lb.

The UFC could do an immediate rematch with Khabib-Conor. I hate that. I think any non-hardcore Conor fan would. Khabib-Tony should be the fight. Conor should have to win another fight to get another title shot, especially after getting mauled by Khabib the first time, so that's my thinking that leads me to...

Poirier/Cowboy/Nate. They are winnable fights that set him up for another title shot at 155lb.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Other than an immediate Khabib vs. Conor rematch, it's really tough for the UFC to go wrong here. There are so many good options and I'd love to see any combination. I think you have to do Khabib vs. Ferguson for the title and then Conor, Poirier, Nate, and Holloway (if he moves up) can battle it out. If it's a lengthy suspension then they could do Ferguson vs. Poirier/Holloway for an interim belt and keep things moving that way. It's stupid now the NSAC is holding the entire top of the division up when the brawl happened three months ago. Just make a decision so everyone can move on.

I'm good with whatever but my ideal scenario would probably be:

Khabib vs. Ferguson
Conor vs. Nate
Holloway vs. Poirier
Iaquinta vs. Gaethje

Holloway might deserve a bigger fight if he's moving up but I don't think Nate wants to fight anyone other than Conor and I really want to see him back so just do the trilogy. If Nate's willing to take that Poirier fight again then you can switch him and Holloway in that scenario. If Holloway wants to stay at 145 and fight Frankie then that's fine too. Again, it's tough for the UFC to screw this up because of how much talent there is at LW.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Other than an immediate Khabib vs. Conor rematch, it's really tough for the UFC to go wrong here. There are so many good options and I'd love to see any combination. I think you have to do Khabib vs. Ferguson for the title and then Conor, Poirier, Nate, and Holloway (if he moves up) can battle it out. If it's a lengthy suspension then they could do Ferguson vs. Poirier/Holloway for an interim belt and keep things moving that way. It's stupid now the NSAC is holding the entire top of the division up when the brawl happened three months ago. Just make a decision so everyone can move on.

I'm good with whatever but my ideal scenario would probably be:

Khabib vs. Ferguson
Conor vs. Nate
Holloway vs. Poirier
Iaquinta vs. Gaethje

Holloway might deserve a bigger fight if he's moving up but I don't think Nate wants to fight anyone other than Conor and I really want to see him back so just do the trilogy. If Nate's willing to take that Poirier fight again then you can switch him and Holloway in that scenario. If Holloway wants to stay at 145 and fight Frankie then that's fine too. Again, it's tough for the UFC to screw this up because of how much talent there is at LW.
I agree. Everyone has their preferences/guesses of what is going to happen, but I'd be excited for any fight they make. I 100% think it should be Khabib-Tony....but I'd still watch and get excited for a Khabib-Conor rematch. I don't think the UFC/Conor want anything to do with a Conor-Max rematch....but I'd love to see it.

I'm also looking forward to Cowboy-Hernandez. If Cowboy wins, he's right back in the mix at LW. He's a big enough name and has enough cred with the UFC (which apparently means more than an interim belt) where I could definitely see him getting the Conor fight or someone else near the top. I guess Hernandez puts himself into the mix with a statement win as well, but he's probably not a big enough name yet for top 5 opponents.

If it were up to me:

Khabib-Tony
Max-Frankie
Conor-Poirier/Nate/Cowboy
Whoever doesn't get the Conor fight can fight each other.
Al-Gaethje

Edit: Wow. I didn't realize Al shot up to #4. I know Lee was ranked #4 at the time, but it wasn't like he dominated him or anything. He definitely deserves to move up a few spots (and Lee down), but #4 seems like a lot. Maybe there is something to the Conor-Al fight then :dunno:

Reactions: Avs_19

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If I'm Holloway, there's no way I'm moving up for anything less than an immediate title fight or a bout with McGregor

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nothing announced until suspensions are figured out later this month, but the rumour is UFC236 is going to have a bunch of big fights at 145/155lbs. Would expect both Khabib and Max to be involved.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nothing announced until suspensions are figured out later this month, but the rumour is UFC236 is going to have a bunch of big fights at 145/155lbs. Would expect both Khabib and Max to be involved.
Interesting. I guess Max isn't the biggest draw for PPVs, but with how starved they are for main events sometimes, I would have thought they would save him for his own card. I guess they expect Conor, DC, maybe Nunes, maybe TJ/Cejudo to be able to headline the card after that.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Interesting. I guess Max isn't the biggest draw for PPVs, but with how starved they are for main events sometimes, I would have thought they would save him for his own card. I guess they expect Conor, DC, maybe Nunes, maybe TJ/Cejudo to be able to headline the card after that.

I've said this other times, but with Nunes ready and Rose/Andrade already booked.. UFC237 is the perfect chance to do an all WMMA main card. Or at least all 3 champs. Nunes and Shevchenko are both ready and Rose/Andrade is already booked.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've said this other times, but with Nunes ready and Rose/Andrade already booked.. UFC237 is the perfect chance to do an all WMMA main card. Or at least all 3 champs. Nunes and Shevchenko are both ready and Rose/Andrade is already booked.
I'm not sure any of those are really main event worthy unless Holly wins her next fight and is then willing and able to make a pretty quick turnaround. I could definitely get behind it then. But if it's GDR or Vieira, I'd be pretty lukewarm on it.

Rose-Andrade is a solid co-main, though. I have little interest in anyone in that 125lb. division fighting Valentina, but as the third fight, yeah, sure.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good call. My memory completely erased that co-main once the main event happened.

Yea I honestly can't even remember anything about that co-main event.

Then it's settled - UFC237 needs to have all 3 champs for anyone to care.

Would be an interesting novelty, but I can't see it selling many PPV's. Nunes just isn't a PPV draw, at all. She wrecked two of the biggest female MMA fighters in successive fights and managed to garner 100K and 85K PPV buyrates in her two subsequent title defenses. And I don't see Rose or Valentina increasing the buyrates all that much.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Would be an interesting novelty, but I can't see it selling many PPV's. Nunes just isn't a PPV draw, at all. She wrecked two of the biggest female MMA fighters in successive fights and managed to garner 100K and 85K PPV buyrates in her two subsequent title defenses. And I don't see Rose or Valentina increasing the buyrates all that much.

For sure. I guess there's still lots of time to figure it out. What if they did Nunes v Cyborg 2 there? I think that along with Rose/Andrade isn't that bad.

Last edited:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
That would be the key to that card being a PPV success. Without that I think it's gonna fall short no matter who you put Nunes against.

And on a slight sidenote, I really hope we see that fight again (and soon). No excuses, Nunes was better that night plain and simple, but I'd be very curious to see how that fight plays out if Cyborg doesn't brawl.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

If she ever is going to be, they need to build on that Cyborg win. This is where the UFC needs to be more than a matchmaker and actually do some promotion. She'll never be Conor or Ronda, but I think she could be at least be Cyborg level.

Rogan always talks about how the UFC f***ed up by only promoting Ronda in the Ronda-Nunes fight and I completely agree. It turned into 'Ronda lost to that girl' when it could have been 'Nunes beat Ronda'. There is always going to be some of that with a star as big as Ronda, but still, they missed a chance to build Nunes.

You guys are right, though. Cyborg would be the fight that could make it main event worthy. I said Holm, but it would be a tough turnaround for her. I wasn't thinking Cyborg because I kind of expect them to fold that division.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'd be interested in Holly/Nunes, but I don't think it'll be too big of a draw. I think Holly might be able to outpoint her if she fights a perfect fight.

Crazy notion probably, and I realize she looked real bad the first go-round, but any chance Ronda comes back? I know Nunes ran through her the first time, but with an actual decent coach/gameplan, does Ronda have a chance? I feel like if she could get that fight to the ground, while also admitting to herself she can't stand/trade with Nunes, that she would. My guess is she's very happy/content in the WWE, but her return would needless to say be quite a draw.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Rousey came back it would be because she saw an easy opportunity to win a big fight, like when Couture saw Sylvia or GSP saw Bisping. She's not coming back to fight prime Nunes.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd be interested in Holly/Nunes, but I don't think it'll be too big of a draw. I think Holly might be able to outpoint her if she fights a perfect fight.

Crazy notion probably, and I realize she looked real bad the first go-round, but any chance Ronda comes back? I know Nunes ran through her the first time, but with an actual decent coach/gameplan, does Ronda have a chance? I feel like if she could get that fight to the ground, while also admitting to herself she can't stand/trade with Nunes, that she would. My guess is she's very happy/content in the WWE, but her return would needless to say be quite a draw.
Not a huge draw, no, but it wouldn't be the worst main event they ever had. The biggest problem is that Holly already has a fight scheduled for UFC 235. So it would be a quick turnaround for her.

If Nunes came out like she did against Cyborg, Holly definitely has a chance. She's a counter striker, so being overly aggressive like that is playing right into her game. But Nunes obviously has the power advantage.

The only way I could see Ronda coming back is if it was against Tate. I'd even put those odds pretty low, especially since she beat her a couple times already. I think she's done fighting.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
After some rumors that Jones/Gus did 900k buys.. things have settled in and they are around 700k. Still a great #, but not a crazy one like 900k.

Reactions: Avs_19

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If I'm running the UFC, I'd be looking to make a Rousey vs Carano fight

I'd also be interested in Holm vs Carano

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If I'm running the UFC, I'd be looking to make a Rousey vs Carano fight

I'd also be interested in Holm vs Carano

Gina Carano hasn't fought in 10 years. 10. She's in movies and television now and certainly would not leave that world to step back into something that was her stepping stone to where she is today. I just don't see it as being viable or happening in any way.

Reactions: Rocko604 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I doubt there will ever be a female MMA fighter as hot as Carano in her prime, but I really have no interest in seeing her fight again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad