MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Bader to take him down and force a TKO stoppage within 2 rounds. But it's heavyweight, so who knows.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like Bader to win rather easily as well. Anything can happen at HW and we've seen Fedor catch plenty of guys and Bader come up short in big moments but I don't think that'll happen tonight.

I'm looking forward to seeing Pico again. Too bad Mousasi isn't fighting tonight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Bader just effectively one-punched Fedor.. though that follow-up on the ground was vicious too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What a brutal KO that was. Pico gets reckless in there and it cost him again. I don't know if he can do anything about that chin but he can certainly fight smarter.

Bader makes easy work of Fedor. Nice to see him have success after never getting a title shot in the UFC. He's still a top five LHW regardless of promotion and would likely be up there at HW as well.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
to me, that pico fight is just careless matchmaking. the way they handle fighting prospects needs to change. you'd never see this type of acceleration in such a limited amount of matches in boxing. to put a kid like this in the co main against a veteran like corrales is just too much too soon. less than ten minutes of professional mma experience.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
to me, that pico fight is just careless matchmaking. the way they handle fighting prospects needs to change. you'd never see this type of acceleration in such a limited amount of matches in boxing. to put a kid like this in the co main against a veteran like corrales is just too much too soon. less than ten minutes of professional mma experience.

They've been doing that with Ed Ruth, Neiman Gracie, AJ McKee, and MVP.

But unlike boxing, if you slowly build up a prospect in a big organization, instead of a regional promotion, he'll just be accused of being a can crusher with an inflated record.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Boxing is a whole different animal, but how is this any different than how the UFC handled Sage Northcutt? It's not lke Corrales is some world beater. If Pico is this stud prospect they make him out to be he should walk through him. And he almost did. Unfortunately he's just not that good. Like Sage.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Boxing is a whole different animal, but how is this any different than how the UFC handled Sage Northcutt? It's not lke Corrales is some world beater. If Pico is this stud prospect they make him out to be he should walk through him. And he almost did. Unfortunately he's just not that good. Like Sage.
Corrales is close to the point of being a title contender in Bellator, he's not a scrub. I wouldn't say Pico is not that good just because he lost tonight... With a few adjustments and some better IQ he wins this fight, and he's still only 22. My only real concern with him is that he seems to be a bit chinny, as he's gotten stunned or wobbled in most of his fights at some point.

Oct 15, 2008
What a brutal KO that was. Pico gets reckless in there and it cost him again. I don't know if he can do anything about that chin but he can certainly fight smarter.

Bader makes easy work of Fedor. Nice to see him have success after never getting a title shot in the UFC. He's still a top five LHW regardless of promotion and would likely be up there at HW as well.
I don’t think so. He was in a tourney with a bunch of has beens.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don’t think so. He was in a tourney with a bunch of has beens.

The UFC LHW division is very weak. Bader would likely be favoured over everyone except Jones and Gus. He can compete with and probably beat a few of the top 10 HWs as well.

Oct 15, 2008
The UFC LHW division is very weak. Bader would likely be favoured over everyone except Jones and Gus. He can compete with and probably beat a few of the top 10 HWs as well.
He is a good and relevant fighter. Probably the only one in that tourney.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Bader would be top 5 in the UFC LHW, but I think that says more about the state of that division than it does about Bader. If DC and Rumble were still around and other guys like Rockhold and Romero finally move up, I think it's real debatable he is still top 5.

I think he would really struggle at HW in the UFC.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Bader is constantly underrated, probably because of the Tito loss and because he was a clown on TUF. He's very good and I would have liked to see him vs Cormier before Bader went to Bellator.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Bader is constantly underrated, probably because of the Tito loss and because he was a clown on TUF. He's very good and I would have liked to see him vs Cormier before Bader went to Bellator.
I think he's just a Tier 2 LHW. Like Gus. Probably a notch or 2 below Gus even. Very good fighters. Will beat the perennial #5-10 type of guys, but will lose to the top guys.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fedor's legacy is that he's a marginal fighter at this point and can't take even a light punch now. He's 7-5 in his last 12, and really it's 6-6 if you attribute him a loss in that fight against Maldonado, which he didn't actually win. And he's lucky to be .500 because he's looked that bad. Dude needs to hang it up before he gets hurt permanently. Getting dusted easily by Mitrione and Bader should be enough for him to realize he's cooked as both of those guys are good but not great fighters. Definitely more 2nd tier than the top UFC fighters.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Khabib's suspension is in : 9 months that can be reduced to 6 months if he participates in an anti-bullying campaign.

That should make him eligible to fight at UFC236 in April, which has been the rumor for awhile.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Conor got a straight up 6 months, so he would be eligible to return mid-April as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Khabib's suspension is in : 9 months that can be reduced to 6 months if he participates in an anti-bullying campaign.

That should make him eligible to fight at UFC236 in April, which has been the rumor for awhile.
Conor got a straight up 6 months, so he would be eligible to return mid-April as well.

Good news. Hopefully they get back sooner rather than later. I saw Ariel Helwani tweeted that he doesn't expect Khabib to fight before his teammates suspensions are up, which would be October, and Conor's more likely to be back late spring/summer.

It could just be some negotiating tactics but if Khabib really does sit out because of loyalty and won't fight before October even though he's eligible in April, they'll need to do something about the belt. I don't think you strip him but you have to get things moving so an interim title fight involving Ferguson might make sense. The top of their best division has already been held up for too long.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good news. Hopefully they get back sooner rather than later. I saw Ariel Helwani tweeted that he doesn't expect Khabib to fight before his teammates suspensions are up, which would be October, and Conor's more likely to be back late spring/summer.

It could just be some negotiating tactics but if Khabib really does sit out because of loyalty and won't fight before October even though he's eligible in April, they'll need to do something about the belt. I don't think you strip him but you have to get things moving so an interim title fight involving Ferguson might make sense. The top of their best division has already been held up for too long.

The good news is that hopefully it sets things up for Conor to fight someone else and not forcing that rematch. I've gone down the hypothetical road with this division too much already at this point, but the usual guys are going to be in the mix and match them however you like with Ferguson, Conor, Poirier, Nate. Cowboy & Iaquinta have worked their way into the discussion as well. We'll see with Holloway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The good news is that hopefully it sets things up for Conor to fight someone else and not forcing that rematch. I've gone down the hypothetical road with this division too much already at this point, but the usual guys are going to be in the mix and match them however you like Ferguson, Conor, Poirier, Nate. Cowboy & Iaquinta have worked their way into the discussion as well. We'll see with Holloway.

Good point. I don't want to see an immediate rematch so that's one good thing. There's more talk about Cerrone and Holloway than Khabib though so hopefully that's the direction they're going in with Conor anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad