MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 51464

So year by year, who are the biggest people he missed in their respective primes and who did he fight in their stead? How big was the gap between actual competition and potential competition in this time frame?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I believe the stories out there were that he was offered a boatload of money per fight by Dana, but that the co-promotion thing got in the way. And again, he's had a great career, and he's certainly one of the best all time. But to me, if you want to be considered the greatest, you really need to face and beat everyone. Since he never came over to UFC, I'm not sure he can say that definitively.

The UFC doesn't own a monopoly on MMA relevance. Ben Askren and Bibiano Fernandes are legit. Rickson Gracie was legit. Shinya Aoki was legit. Ricardo Arona was legit. Igor Vovchanchyn was legit. Fedor was legit. Maybe some people question that. People have questions about contrails, vaccines, and the shape of the Earth, too. What can ya do.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The UFC doesn't own a monopoly on MMA relevance. Ben Askren and Bibiano Fernandes are legit. Rickson Gracie was legit. Shinya Aoki was legit. Ricardo Arona was legit. Igor Vovchanchyn was legit. Fedor was legit. Maybe some people question that. People have questions about contrails, vaccines, and the shape of the Earth, too. What can ya do.

Sure, there are a lot of relevant fighters not in the UFC, no question. At that stage of Fedor's career though (post Pride), the highest and most consistent level of competition would have been found in the UFC. He couldn't reach a deal with them multiple times, so he fought in other organizations. Obviously they had some good fighters, but the consistency of fighters wasn't as good, if that makes sense and clarifies my view.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I believe the stories out there were that he was offered a boatload of money per fight by Dana, but that the co-promotion thing got in the way. And again, he's had a great career, and he's certainly one of the best all time. But to me, if you want to be considered the greatest, you really need to face and beat everyone. Since he never came over to UFC, I'm not sure he can say that definitively.

IMO, I think he would have had a similar showing in the UFC as he did in Strikeforce. Greatest fighter ever? I think that's a stretch given the talent we're seeing today. Greatest of the 00s? Absolutely.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
IMO, I think he would have had a similar showing in the UFC as he did in Strikeforce. Greatest fighter ever? I think that's a stretch given the talent we're seeing today. Greatest of the 00s? Absolutely.

I never get too worked up over GOAT debates, because like you point out, it's too hard to compare cross generations. The guys now are light years ahead of what came before them, and the guys in 10 years will surpass them. It's just the evolution of the sport.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I never get too worked up over GOAT debates, because like you point out, it's too hard to compare cross generations. The guys now are light years ahead of what came before them, and the guys in 10 years will surpass them. It's just the evolution of the sport.

Totally. I just don't think people question Gordie Howe's all-time greatness because of how he looked in a Whalers jersey. Or Tretiak's because he didn't play in the NHL.

Connor McDavid teleported back in time would be much better than Howe. Bobrovsky would be better than Tretiak. They're still among the GOATs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Totally. I just don't think people question Gordie Howe's all-time greatness because of how he looked in a Whalers jersey. Or Tretiak's because he didn't play in the NHL.

Connor McDavid teleported back in time would be much better than Howe. Bobrovsky would be better than Tretiak. They're still among the GOATs.

Absolutely. Generational players are always good regardless of era. It's just that concept of dropping them into a different generation and saying they'd do x that I have an issue with. You can argue it both ways too. A guy like Bobby Orr wouldn't be as good today because the skaters and fitness in all players is greater than it was back then. Or a guy like Orr would be just as dominant because he'd get to use modern training techniques, etc. You know?

Fedor was an all time type of fighter. He's not now. It's sad to watch and even more scary to me is that he may get badly hurt at some point.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think anyone wants to see someone like Fedor or BJ get pummeled at this point in their careers. I was worried that might happen with Henderson. If they're going to fight, they should be fighting total cans. Meathead could have really clobbered Fedor if that fight went further.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mousasi signed with Bellator. A while back it was reported that him re-signing with the UFC was almost a done deal but now he's gone. Great pick up for Bellator and good for him for getting paid but it kinda sucks as a fan. Bellator's MW division is terrible and there were a lot of potentially great fights for him in the UFC.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Mousasi signed with Bellator. A while back it was reported that him re-signing with the UFC was almost a done deal but now he's gone. Great pick up for Bellator and good for him for getting paid but it kinda sucks as a fan. Bellator's MW division is terrible and there were a lot of potentially great fights for him in the UFC.

Man, the UFC blew it letting him go. Good on him for getting paid.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rory potentially moving up could get me more excited about this signing. If all goes according to plan, both Rory and Mousasi could win belts at WW/MW and maybe fight next year. I'd love to see that.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Rory potentially moving up could get me more excited about this signing. If all goes according to plan, both Rory and Mousasi could win belts at WW/MW and maybe fight next year. I'd love to see that.
Ex-LHW fighting a WW who moved up to MW? Not a fair fight.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Wow, the UFC continues to **** away all of their top talent. What a waste of 4 billion dollars.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
UFC apparently matched Bellator's monetary offer, but according to Mousasi, sponsorship money, ability to compete in boxing (which UFC would not match due to Reebok and him not being named Conor McGregor) and working with Coker again, was why he signed with Bellator. There also seemed to be no plans to put him in the title picture, nevermind give him a title fight, while he'll face Calvarho in his first fight.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Mousasi, but I actually don't think this is a big loss or big deal for the UFC. 185 is pretty deep, and Mousasi just has never really been that big with fans.

Nice addition for Bellator though.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Dana vs Ariel 2

Apparently Showtime wasn't on board with this move, so the UFC must have threatened something huge for them to go through with it.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I like Mousasi, but I actually don't think this is a big loss or big deal for the UFC. 185 is pretty deep, and Mousasi just has never really been that big with fans.

Nice addition for Bellator though.

MW is not really deep at all. Within 2 years, Silva, Bisping, Jacare and Romero will be gone. The only fighters left are Whittaker, Rockhold and Wideman (who is a shell of his former self).

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Good. Ariel is a good reporter sometimes but in many other cases he's basically TMZ and stirs **** up, asking stupid questions.

You're seriously gonna ask Romero "hey, you promised to win the fight and bring the belt to your son. You didn't. Are you still planning on going home to your son?"

Like seriously, dude? What the actual ****?

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Good. Ariel is a good reporter sometimes but in many other cases he's basically TMZ and stirs **** up, asking stupid questions.

You're seriously gonna ask Romero "hey, you promised to win the fight and bring the belt to your son. You didn't. Are you still planning on going home to your son?"

Like seriously, dude? What the actual ****?

This entire fight is TMZ. And like I said, for Showtime to reluctantly go through with it makes me think Dana threatened to pull all of their promotional material.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
MW is not really deep at all. Within 2 years, Silva, Bisping, Jacare and Romero will be gone. The only fighters left are Whittaker, Rockhold and Wideman (who is a shell of his former self).

Jacare and Romero will probably be around in two years. Rockhold, Weidman, and Whittaker will too. Gastelum probably will be there. I think Jotko & Carlos Jr will be in the top ten mix, too. It's true they have a few older guys, but I think it's positioned better than some of the other divisions.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
People get so worked up about things like this with Helwani, I just couldn't care less. The whole thing with the UFC last time was ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad