MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Article I read said he was conscious backstage and then it got bad. Had unsuccessful surgery to relieve pressure on the brain. He's brain dead, on life support, waiting for family to make organ donation arrangements. I'll look for the link.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Terrible. Worse is that that piece of ****, failed football player turned rapist Adam Braidwood was the one who killed him.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Terrible. Worse is that that piece of ****, failed football player turned rapist Adam Braidwood was the one who killed him.

I googled him. Saw he was a former pro football player and had one MMA fighter - a win over Ryan Jimmo. Rapist too?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I googled him. Saw he was a former pro football player and had one MMA fighter - a win over Ryan Jimmo. Rapist too?

I remember that ****wad. Googled to make sure, he basically pulled a gun on his ex and raped her. Scum.

That being said, Hague's cornerman and that ref have got to be going through hell right now. Hague was dropped 5 times before he was finally out cold, there's no way that fight should've went on. A friend of mine is a fighter and coach, a coach who has thrown in the towel before. He said it perfect, he'd rather get cussed out by his fighter, than get cussed out by his fighters mother at a funeral.

Sad sad stuff.. RIP

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I remember that ****wad. Googled to make sure, he basically pulled a gun on his ex and raped her. Scum.

That being said, Hague's cornerman and that ref have got to be going through hell right now. Hague was dropped 5 times before he was finally out cold, there's no way that fight should've went on. A friend of mine is a fighter and coach, a coach who has thrown in the towel before. He said it perfect, he'd rather get cussed out by his fighter, than get cussed out by his fighters mother at a funeral.

Sad sad stuff.. RIP

Yeah ultimately Hague had no business being in that fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Braidwood has had a pretty eventful life. Lots more about him that isn't really public, too. Not his fault in this case, though. RIP Hague.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Braidwood has had a pretty eventful life. Lots more about him that isn't really public, too. Not his fault in this case, though. RIP Hague.

I found an Eskimo forum dedicated to him and his criminal history. Pretty brutal stuff. He's a big man and seems to have had potential in many different sports.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Woodley/Maia, JDS/Ngannou, Cyborg/Evinger, and likely Lawler/Cerrone all scheduled on UFC 214, along with Jones/DC obviously. Card is friggin' stacked.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Woodley/Maia, JDS/Ngannou, Cyborg/Evinger, and likely Lawler/Cerrone all scheduled on UFC 214, along with Jones/DC obviously. Card is friggin' stacked.

JDS/Ngannou is UFC 215 in Edmonton and Dana stated today when asked that Cerrone/Lawler won't be in Anaheim. Still a solid card with three title fights on it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
JDS/Ngannou is UFC 215 in Edmonton and Dana stated today when asked that Cerrone/Lawler won't be in Anaheim. Still a solid card with three title fights on it.

I'm excited for that. I'd be cool with Cerrone/Lawler in Edmonton too.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Good call. Lotta news yesterday and I got too excited. Haha.

Just rumors right now but word is Conor wants Khabib and GSP will get the Woodley/Maia winner.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Cerrone/Lawler is back on the Anaheim card.

Another instance of why we should take what Dana says with a grain of salt...:help:

That card is looking really stacked. Three title fights including the return of Jon Jones, Lawler/Cerrone, Manuwa/Oezdemir, as well as a bunch of other interesting fights/fighters. Let's hope this one doesn't fall apart.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Can't really argue with Overeem's logic on this. Literally one of the most vastly overrated fighters of all time, IMO...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/...nenko-he-fought-cans-and-declined-to-fight-me

He's still doing the same thing today, but now he's fighting cans and getting KO'd by them.

That's also when Overeem was known as Ubereem and he too was fighting cans around Japan. Fedor's prime isn't right now. Fedor's prime was in the mid 2000s. He was the king when the HW division was the division. He destroyed legitimate guys.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's also when Overeem was known as Ubereem and he too was fighting cans around Japan. Fedor's prime isn't right now. Fedor's prime was in the mid 2000s. He was the king when the HW division was the division. He destroyed legitimate guys.

Regardless of his legacy, he still never fought in the UFC, and that can be held against him if you want to be critical. I do, so I hold it against him for never doing that.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Regardless of his legacy, he still never fought in the UFC, and that can be held against him if you want to be critical. I do, so I hold it against him for never doing that.

So? PRIDE's HW division was so much better than the UFCs. He fought the best, unlike Randy Couture I guess you can say.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

There are lots of things to hold against Fedor's record, but I don't agree with this one. As mentioned, Pride's HW's were better. He also smashed their two best HW's in Sylvia & Arlovski soon after they left the UFC.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

As was mentioned, UFC was very much a lower tier of competition at that time. Sakuraba only fought in the UFC what, once? And was recently admitted to the UFC HOF.

So? PRIDE's HW division was so much better than the UFCs. He fought the best, unlike Randy Couture I guess you can say.

Not only that, but he did fight (and beat) the UFC champions he was missing out on over at PRIDE (beating both Andrei Arlovski and Tim Silvia). He also bought UFC HW champions Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman. The only really notable guy he didn't have a chance to beat from that era was Josh Barnett. Randy Couture was fighting at a lower weight class back then.

Alistair Overeem wasn't really a legit contender for Fedor until around 2008.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get the Pride stuff, but let's talk about after that. Picking Strikeforce over UFC. Picking Bellator over UFC. M1. He avoided UFC like the plague, and it's a definite valid criticism.

And so what that Overeeam only became a contender after 2008. He could have fought him along with Lesnar and a slew of other greats had he come over to UFC. If he had, the only criticism for his career would be gone. He didn't though, so it's still something that can legitimately be brought up as a negative.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't blame Fedor one bit for not going to the UFC.

At the time, he stood to make more money going to Strikeforce as opposed to the UFC because of the M1 co-promotion. Had he gone to the UFC, he probably would have given a deal similar to CroCop's. ($350k for UFC 67 but eventually dropped to $75/75 by UFC 115).

Let's pretend he had gone to the UFC, and went 1-3 like Strikeforce. I'll bet when he left Strikeforce he probably had a billion rubles waiting for him from M-1.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't blame Fedor one bit for not going to the UFC.

At the time, he stood to make more money going to Strikeforce as opposed to the UFC because of the M1 co-promotion. Had he gone to the UFC, he probably would have given a deal similar to CroCop's. ($350k for UFC 67 but eventually dropped to $75/75 by UFC 115).

Let's pretend he had gone to the UFC, and went 1-3 like Strikeforce. I'll bet when he left Strikeforce he probably had a billion rubles waiting for him from M-1.

I believe the stories out there were that he was offered a boatload of money per fight by Dana, but that the co-promotion thing got in the way. And again, he's had a great career, and he's certainly one of the best all time. But to me, if you want to be considered the greatest, you really need to face and beat everyone. Since he never came over to UFC, I'm not sure he can say that definitively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->