MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I can't remember if it's from the last fight or when the failed test occurred, but since they were within a few days of each other it doesn't really matter. I believe it's from his last fight.

Second offense essentially means the potential suspension is doubled. So this drug he was busted with carries max of 2 years for 1st offense, but since he failed a previous drug test the max would be 4 years.

They wouldn't really have to do something screwy to get Jones at UFC230. First, Jones just has to convince USADA that he is not completely at fault for the failed test. If he can do that, he avoids the 4 year ban. I think this one is a done deal. On the other side, the best case scenario is that he proves he had zero fault, which means he is free to fight whenever. This scenario is extremely unlikely and you can rule that one out too.

That leaves an incredibly vague middle-ground where he can be suspended between 8 months and 3 years depending on how much fault they find. I would bet my house that when this is cleared up Jones will be suspended for between 8 months and 3 years retroactive to his last fight/failed test. He will be eligible to fight somewhere between now and August 2020. So as long as we are talking 1 year or less, he's good to go for UFC230.

Far be it for me to question Chael Sonnen on this kind of thing as nobody knows the system more than him, however there is definitely a scenario based on USADA guidelines where Jones is fighting at UFC230 and it's perfectly legit. It just comes down to the level of fault they find with him and then how long they want to suspend him for.
Listening again, Chael said that they already tested the supplements that Jones disclosed he was taking and didn't find anything. So the tainted supplement excuse is out which leaves him facing a 2-4 year ban since it's his second offense. Chael didn't see a way around that. Obviously 2 years puts him well past UFC 230 regardless of when the suspension officially started.

However, Jones after the fact disclosed that we was taking 6 additional supplements. Chael's point was that's nice and all, but by the rules shouldn't be allowed. It might be what they use, though, I don't know.

So...I don't know. The explanation will be interesting. How does Jon prove he's not at fault if the supplements he disclosed he was taking weren't tainted? Someone messed up with his sample? The tainted meat excuse? Someone gave him something against his will and/or without his knowledge? Or Chael could be wrong. Or Chael could have found out other information about Jones' situation since that video. Or the UFC could be giving USADA a wink*wink*nudge*nudge.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yeah, even when he was a welterweight he would get up to 220+ in between fights.

Jon Jones has been in the USADA testing the whole time, which is why he is a legit option. I would be surprised if Rumble has been.

As for Leanar, the reality is Lesnar made enough money for them to get an exemption. Don't think Rumble does.

It's not just Rumble fighting some random guy. We're talking about Rumble vs Jones as the Main Event at MSG

That would be a big enough fight, IMO, to get the UFC to push for it

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's not just Rumble fighting some random guy. We're talking about Rumble vs Jones as the Main Event at MSG

That would be a big enough fight, IMO, to get the UFC to push for it

.. and the story would be the return of Jon Jones for the interim title, not Rumble. They can do Jones v Gus which will be just as big and not have to jump through all of the hoops.

There's also no chance Rumble makes 205, so now we have Jones v Rumble for no title at HW for what purpose exactly?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Listening again, Chael said that they already tested the supplements that Jones disclosed he was taking and didn't find anything. So the tainted supplement excuse is out which leaves him facing a 2-4 year ban since it's his second offense. Chael didn't see a way around that. Obviously 2 years puts him well past UFC 230 regardless of when the suspension officially started.

However, Jones after the fact disclosed that we was taking 6 additional supplements. Chael's point was that's nice and all, but by the rules shouldn't be allowed. It might be what they use, though, I don't know.

So...I don't know. The explanation will be interesting. How does Jon prove he's not at fault if the supplements he disclosed he was taking weren't tainted? Someone messed up with his sample? The tainted meat excuse? Someone gave him something against his will and/or without his knowledge? Or Chael could be wrong. Or Chael could have found out other information about Jones' situation since that video. Or the UFC could be giving USADA a wink*wink*nudge*nudge.

I don't see where Chael is getting that information from and I wonder if he is just assuming something. USADA finding Jones completely responsible and enforcing a 2-4 year ban is not the most likely outcome, a 1-3 ban with Jones getting partial responsibility is. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
.. and the story would be the return of Jon Jones for the interim title, not Rumble. They can do Jones v Gus which will be just as big and not have to jump through all of the hoops.

There's also no chance Rumble makes 205, so now we have Jones v Rumble for no title at HW for what purpose exactly?

All of that is true, but even if Jones fought Gus, the story is still the return of Jon Jones

Rumble is a pretty big name with knockout power who's never fought Jones. Personally, I think that's a more intriguing story line and fight than Jones vs Gus 2

That's not to say it would be a better fight, just a more intriguing one

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
All of that is true, but even if Jones fought Gus, the story is still the return of Jon Jones

Rumble is a pretty big name with knockout power who's never fought Jones. Personally, I think that's a more intriguing story line and fight than Jones vs Gus 2

That's not to say it would be a better fight, just a more intriguing one

I personally agree it's a more interesting fight, I just don't think it sells many more PPV's than something like Jones/Gus 2. So, there's not really much incentive for the UFC to pull some extra strings to get Rumble in there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Funny how this decision comes down just as the UFC might be getting ready to announce a main event for MSG. Whether it's that card or not, it looks like the rumours were true and Jones will be back very soon.

Last edited:

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Funny how this decision comes down just as the UFC might be getting ready to announce a main event for MSG. Whether it's that card or not, it looks like the rumours were true and Jones will be back very soon.

Werdum gets 2 years, and Jones gets 15 months as a repeat offender?

USADA just lost all credibility to me.

Reactions: Zeppo

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
USADA is a f***ing joke and so is Jon Jones. f*** him. Now I'm gonna have to watch DC lose to him for a third time ugh

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jones, his legal team and USADA representatives met with arbitrator Richard H. McLaren last Saturday, per the release. Going into arbitration, USADA already determined there should be a reduction of two years and six months to a potential Jones suspension “based on Jones’ delivery of substantial assistance,” the release stated. Jones was facing a four-year ban, because this was his second UFC anti-doping policy violation.

McLaren then reduced the suspension to 15 months based on Jones’ degree of fault, which took into account that he had passed multiple out-of-competition drug tests leading up to UFC 214, before failing the in-competition test — the one he knew was coming. Jones was tested eight times in 10 months around UFC 214 and failed just the one test.

Per the decision document, the “substantial assistance” is in reference to article 10.6.1.1 in the UFC anti-doping policy, which has to do with a fighter helping USADA or another anti-doping organization with “discovering or bringing forward an Anti-Doping Policy Violation” by another person or something else that “results in a criminal or disciplinary body discovering or bringing forward a criminal offense or the breach of professional rules committed” by another person. If Jones no longer cooperates, he runs the risk of getting time tacked on to his suspension, per the UFC anti-doping policy.

Jon Jones given 15-month suspension after arbitration in USADA case

If you believe USADA, Jones apparently snitched on people to get his suspension reduced. Haha.

The whole thing does seem sketchy, especially with the timing of it, but I just want to see Jones fight again. Unlike his first case, there was also something that seemed off about this one with him passing all of his tests except the one the day before the fight.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
UFC should just do away with USADA at this point as it's clear the whole thing is just a front to make the sport look more legit. The fact that Jones' suspension just so happens to conveniently end just days prior to UFC 230 reeks of collusion.

That said, I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad we'll get to see him back in the octagon sooner than later.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jon Jones given 15-month suspension after arbitration in USADA case

If you believe USADA, Jones apparently snitched on people to get his suspension reduced. Haha.

The whole thing does seem sketchy, especially with the timing of it, but I just want to see Jones fight again. Unlike his first case, there was also something that seemed off about this one with him passing all of his tests except the one the day before the fight.

I remember reading about that snitch rule, and it's pretty hilarious if Jones did it. Sounds like the hold-up was they would knock 3 months off his suspension if he snitched and he finally came around so he could fight sooner.

Reactions: Avs_19

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Seems pretty convenient for Jones to be cleared one day before the Conor-Khabib press conference. Jones will definately headline 230 the question is against who

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Dc saying he won't fight Jones is dumb. "Oh jones cheated" yet the guys gonna fight brock lesnar lol. DCs last 2 fights should be jones and Gustafson. Not Brock amd somebody.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dc saying he won't fight Jones is dumb. "Oh jones cheated" yet the guys gonna fight brock lesnar lol. DCs last 2 fights should be jones and Gustafson. Not Brock amd somebody.

I think he still wants to fight Jones again, he just wants the Brock fight first.

Earlier he said he wanted to fight once before Brock, so I guess he's either changed his mind.. or wants an easier fight than Jones so he doesn't ruin his big $ money.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Dana White this morning said that Jon Jones isn't fighting until 2019 because he's a bit "heavy".

Truth or just a swerve before the press conference? I found the "heavy" term interesting, maybe he's alluding to a HW fight. It would be really strange for them to hold off on this UFC230 main event, have Jones cleared for the exact time frame needed, then not have him fight.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Have Jones fight Stipe at UFC 230, winner fights the winner of Brock/DC. I'd watch that.

On a sidenote, how much ratting out did Jones have to do to have his sentence reduced by 30 months?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
DC should do whatever the f*** he wants now. He doesn't owe anyone anything, the guy has spent his whole career being a model athlete and company man. Take the money and ride off into the sunset, and enjoy a nice long career as an MMA analyst. Jones has been given a bunch of chances as it is. Hell, he probably would've popped another time when USADA came looking for him and he hid under the ring for 6 hours or whatever it was.

Reactions: Zeppo

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
"I ain't surprised, motherf***ers."
- Nate Diaz
-pistolpete11​

Yeah, I don't think Jones, the UFC, and USADA would go through all of this to reduce his suspension by a couple months if he wasn't going to fight at UFC 230. So I'm not buying that comment from Dana. And the 'heavy' comment makes me think Jones-DC at HW even more now.

The excuse is super sketchy. I guess that's a rule, though. We'll probably never hear what he actually told them. I mean, he doesn't know anything, right? He's never used PEDs before, right? Right?

I think he still wants to fight Jones again, he just wants the Brock fight first.

Earlier he said he wanted to fight once before Brock, so I guess he's either changed his mind.. or wants an easier fight than Jones so he doesn't ruin his big $ money.
I don't think it's possible to wait for Brock, still fight Jones, and stick to his self imposed retirement of March 2019. Somethings gotta give.

The more I think about it, the more I think UFC 230 main event is Jones-DC 3 at HW. It's a huge risk for DC, but I'd imagine he would still be getting paid big time for that fight. Not Brock big time, but still a lot of money. And if he won and still got the Brock fight, that would maximize his legacy, his financial situation, and his peace of mind. If he lost, at least he still made a lot of money and he could go back down to 205 and maybe fight Gus for the belt. It would be for a lot less money, but

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There's really no reason to have Cormier fight Jones for a 3rd time

We've seen how that song and dance goes

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
"I ain't surprised, mother****ers."
- Nate Diaz
-pistolpete11​

Yeah, I don't think Jones, the UFC, and USADA would go through all of this to reduce his suspension by a couple months if he wasn't going to fight at UFC 230. So I'm not buying that comment from Dana. And the 'heavy' comment makes me think Jones-DC at HW even more now.

The excuse is super sketchy. I guess that's a rule, though. We'll probably never hear what he actually told them. I mean, he doesn't know anything, right? He's never used PEDs before, right? Right?

I don't think it's possible to wait for Brock, still fight Jones, and stick to his self imposed retirement of March 2019. Somethings gotta give.

The more I think about it, the more I think UFC 230 main event is Jones-DC 3 at HW. It's a huge risk for DC, but I'd imagine he would still be getting paid big time for that fight. Not Brock big time, but still a lot of money. And if he won and still got the Brock fight, that would maximize his legacy, his financial situation, and his peace of mind. If he lost, at least he still made a lot of money and he could go back down to 205 and maybe fight Gus for the belt. It would be for a lot less money, but

Brock is a way easier fight for Cormier than Jones though. He should fight Brock next and then just have Jones as his last fight. I'm sure he will push his retirement back to fight Jones for a truckload of money.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As for UFC 230, Dana insists Jones isn't fighting. Well, at least in the main event.

If they didn't announce it today, you have to assume it's an underwhelming main event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad