MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I really thought they would take a step back and try to get Ngannou back on track against one of the Tybura/Tuivasa types but instead he's right back in there against Blaydes. He already beat him before but this seems like the worst type of match up for Ngannou right now. I'm not sure who is against it, whether it's the UFC, fighters, or managers, but there's nothing wrong with a tune-up fight every now and then.

I agree. Can't say I'm a fan of this matchup.

Also makes me wonder if Miocic v Cormier 2 will get announced for MSG.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I really thought they would take a step back and try to get Ngannou back on track against one of the Tybura/Tuivasa types but instead he's right back in there against Blaydes. He already beat him before but this seems like the worst type of match up for Ngannou right now. I'm not sure who is against it, whether it's the UFC, fighters, or managers, but there's nothing wrong with a tune-up fight every now and then.

With some of the things Dana has said about Francis, I don't think he's looking to help him out. And as the UFC who I don't think should be looking out for one fighter over another, this matchup does make some sense. They are 2 of the top contenders who don't have fights lined up and it's the classic striker vs. wrestler matchup. It's also a rematch which is an easy story line to try and sell.

Also, after Francis was exposed by Stipe's wrestling, the UFC kind of did do him a favor and gave him a guy that was almost surely going to stand up with him. Then he went out and barely threw a punch.

I agree. Can't say I'm a fan of this matchup.

Also makes me wonder if Miocic v Cormier 2 will get announced for MSG.
I'd be shocked if DC fights anyone other than Brock (unless Brock gets flagged again or something).

It is kind of strange that Blades gave up so quickly on getting the Stipe fight, but my guess is that the UFC told him that Stipe is going to wait and see how DC/Brock plays out. If Brock gets flagged or someone gets hurt, Stipe could step in.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not definite either way, but if I had to predict how it would go I would think it goes similar to Conor/Mendes. Khabib grinds him down for a good period of time in the first couple of rounds, but eventually Conor catches him.

It's an interesting fight because there is the known element (Khabib's ground game, Conor's standup) but the part that is unknown is the cardio of either guy. I don't trust either guy to stay fresh. Whoever is forced to be where they don't want to be will get tired and probably lose.
Does Khabib really get tired? I mean his fight history is inconsistent at best but I seem to recall him ragdolling guys for 3 straight rounds without looking too tired and that takes a lot of energy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Does Khabib really get tired? I mean his fight history is inconsistent at best but I seem to recall him ragdolling guys for 3 straight rounds without looking too tired and that takes a lot of energy.

Seemed like he got tired (or at least got worse as the fight went on) vs Iaquinta. That was his only 5 round fight.

I'm not saying his cardio sucks, I'm just saying it's unknown.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Heard a rumor that the UFC expects Jon Jones to be ready for UFC230 (MSG card) and he'll fight Gus for the interim LHW belt as the main event. Would be interesting for sure though.

Also, Yoel Romero is off that card. Injured.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Heard a rumor that the UFC expects Jon Jones to be ready for UFC230 (MSG card) and he'll fight Gus for the interim LHW belt as the main event. Would be interesting for sure though.

Also, Yoel Romero is off that card. Injured.

There does appear to be something up with Jones. There's the rumours you mention and he's also getting tested by USADA again and posting all these videos of him training. I don't know what Gus' injury status is but that's a fight that makes a ton of sense. I think they could even make it for the real belt because I don't see DC fighting at LHW again.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There does appear to be something up with Jones. There's the rumours you mention and he's also getting tested by USADA again and posting all these videos of him training. I don't know what Gus' injury status is but that's a fight that makes a ton of sense. I think they could even make it for the real belt because I don't see DC fighting at LHW again.

Well, that's assuming his injury was actually a real thing..

And I think you keep it an interim to tease the DC/Jones fight, regardless if it actually happens.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great fight plus one of them can replace Conor or Khabib if an injury happens

True. I'm somewhat skeptical of Conor taking that replacement fight, even though he has done so in the past, but then again he probably won't pass on a big pay day.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
True. I'm somewhat skeptical of Conor taking that replacement fight, even though he has done so in the past, but then again he probably won't pass on a big pay day.

Either of those guys (and lets be honest, it would be Ferguson who gets 1st crack) is a much easier fight for Conor than Khabib. I think he takes the fight for sure.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Either of those guys (and lets be honest, it would be Ferguson who gets 1st crack) is a much easier fight for Conor than Khabib. I think he takes the fight for sure.

He probably would but I was looking at it as what would the fight do for him other than get him paid. I don't think he would sign on to fight Ferguson if it wasn't a last minute replacement like this scenario because that fight does nothing for him.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec

I dont know if I agree with Tony being an easier matchup. I’m pretty confident Tony could take a few good shots from Conor. Khabib probably gets knocked out pretty bad if he lets Conor touch him up

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I dont know if I agree with Tony being an easier matchup. I’m pretty confident Tony could take a few good shots from Conor. Khabib probably gets knocked out pretty bad if he lets Conor touch him up

Ferguson's worst trait is that he's poor defensively on the feet. That's a bad recipe for a fight with Conor, so I like Conor in that one.

I'm a Ferguson fan too - I would pick him to beat Khabib.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So some of the upcoming cards are starting to get filled out:

UFC 230 - Still no word on this one. There is that lingering Gus/Jones rumor, but aside from that there's nothing out there. I still think Stipe/Cormier 2 is an option.

UFC Denver Fight Night - Fun card, includes:
Frankie Edgar v Korean Zombie
Cerrone v Mike Perry
Borg v Benevidez
De Randamie v Pennington

UFC 231 - Sounds like Holloway v Ortega going down here. Not sure if it's the main event or not, but I would expect it would be a main event with another title fight (Cejudo or Dillashaw) as the co-main.

UFC on Fox 31 December - Only adding this one because it's going to be interesting to see how the UFC handles the last big Fox card. Wouldn't surprise me if they tank this one.

UFC 232 - Cyborg v Nunes

-------
Cormier (at either HW or LHW), Dillashaw, Cejudo & Rose are the champs that have nothing booked that could headline cards.

If Jones isn't back for UFC 230, I think you need Cormier in there v Gus or Stipe. He's the only guy that can headline it, and he's been really quiet.

From there you have Dillashaw as the co-main at UFC 231, Rose can co-headline UFC 232 and turn it into a "girl power" double headliner thing for marketing, then hold Cejudo for the DJ rematch. DJ/Cejudo would make a good headliner for the first Fox card in January.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So some of the upcoming cards are starting to get filled out:

UFC 230 - Still no word on this one. There is that lingering Gus/Jones rumor, but aside from that there's nothing out there. I still think Stipe/Cormier 2 is an option.

UFC Denver Fight Night - Fun card, includes:
Frankie Edgar v Korean Zombie
Cerrone v Mike Perry
Borg v Benevidez
De Randamie v Pennington

UFC 231 - Sounds like Holloway v Ortega going down here. Not sure if it's the main event or not, but I would expect it would be a main event with another title fight (Cejudo or Dillashaw) as the co-main.

UFC on Fox 31 December - Only adding this one because it's going to be interesting to see how the UFC handles the last big Fox card. Wouldn't surprise me if they tank this one.

UFC 232 - Cyborg v Nunes

-------
Cormier (at either HW or LHW), Dillashaw, Cejudo & Rose are the champs that have nothing booked that could headline cards.

If Jones isn't back for UFC 230, I think you need Cormier in there v Gus or Stipe. He's the only guy that can headline it, and he's been really quiet.

From there you have Dillashaw as the co-main at UFC 231, Rose can co-headline UFC 232 and turn it into a "girl power" double headliner thing for marketing, then hold Cejudo for the DJ rematch. DJ/Cejudo would make a good headliner for the first Fox card in January.

The MSG show is the big one everyone is wondering about. I'm not sure what they can do if Jones isn't back. DC is the obvious one to headline based on whose remaining without a fight but that's probably going to be tough because of what he'd be risking in potentially losing the Lesnar fight. I also don't think there's any way he's getting down to 205 lbs in a healthy way with 10 weeks remaining until that event.

I figured they'd hold Holloway out until next year some time but I guess this means everything is good with him. Ever since his first fight in Toronto and the love he was showing the city, Toronto and Canada in general seems to get behind him so that's a good spot for him. PPV sales are a different story but I think he can do just fine locally as the headliner.

I'm still hoping for a GSP return on one of those two cards, as unlikely as it might be at this point. I can't think of any realistic fights for him and he seems pretty set on Conor or Khabib.

I can definitely see a poor Fox card to end that deal. They've already been watered down quite a bit from what it was originally supposed to be. It's also going to be in Milwaukee in mid December, which probably isn't ideal for a big card.

Lawler vs. Wonderboy is reportedly in the works for the first ESPN card in January. PVZ is also expected to be on that card because of obvious reasons.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The MSG show is the big one everyone is wondering about. I'm not sure what they can do if Jones isn't back. DC is the obvious one to headline based on whose remaining without a fight but that's probably going to be tough because of what he'd be risking in potentially losing the Lesnar fight. I also don't think there's any way he's getting down to 205 lbs in a healthy way with 10 weeks remaining until that event.

I figured they'd hold Holloway out until next year some time but I guess this means everything is good with him. Ever since his first fight in Toronto and the love he was showing the city, Toronto and Canada in general seems to get behind him so that's a good spot for him. PPV sales are a different story but I think he can do just fine locally as the headliner.

I'm still hoping for a GSP return on one of those two cards, as unlikely as it might be at this point. I can't think of any realistic fights for him and he seems pretty set on Conor or Khabib.

I can definitely see a poor Fox card to end that deal. They've already been watered down quite a bit from what it was originally supposed to be. It's also going to be in Milwaukee in mid December, which probably isn't ideal for a big card.

Lawler vs. Wonderboy is reportedly in the works for the first ESPN card in January. PVZ is also expected to be on that card because of obvious reasons.

Yeah, I was surprised on Holloway too. I actually didn't think he'd fight again at 145lbs.

Lawler v Wonderboy is a great fight. I wonder if they would do that as the main event. It would make sense as a main event, but I kind of think they'll go really big (some sort of title fight) for the first card.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I might be wrong on this but it seems to me that Blaydes has more to lose then to gain out of Francis fight.

I don’t see him being any closer to title shot with a win and he would fall back in line with a loss.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I might be wrong on this but it seems to me that Blaydes has more to lose then to gain out of Francis fight.

I don’t see him being any closer to title shot with a win and he would fall back in line with a loss.

I don't really think so.

If he wins, he solidifies the next title shot. If he loses, of course he falls back. The only fight that would be better for him would be the Miocic fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, I was surprised on Holloway too. I actually didn't think he'd fight again at 145lbs.

Lawler v Wonderboy is a great fight. I wonder if they would do that as the main event. It would make sense as a main event, but I kind of think they'll go really big (some sort of title fight) for the first card.

I believe the first event will be on the main ESPN channel so I'm almost expecting a PPV quality card to start things off. A title fight with one of the lower weight classes would make some sense.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't know how dumb trying to get another hundred million for a sham fight is, but yeah....lol
Well, Floyd isn't going to face him in the UFC for sure, and people don't really care for a boxing rematch between the two, though I guess some idiots could be suckered into it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well, Floyd isn't going to face him in the UFC for sure, and people don't really care for a boxing rematch between the two, though I guess some idiots could be suckered into it.

A lot of idiots got suckered into it the first time and pretty much everyone knew it was farce. So I don't doubt that there wold be at least a fair share of people who would fall for it again....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad