MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There are haters on both sides of this rivalry.

They could video the faces of Khabib’s haters if he mauls Conor and it would be the same.

I’m having doubts this fight ever happens anyway.

Agreed. Even if they actually sign to fight, I see weight cut issues or training injuries on the horizon for this one.

Reactions: MaxV

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Agreed. Even if they actually sign to fight, I see weight cut issues or training injuries on the horizon for this one.
Don't think it'll be weight cut, Khabibs last cut went great and Conor has never had issues cutting weight especially at LW. Training injuries I could see, those AKA guys go hard and are notorious for that.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
I like Conor as a fighter very exciting to watch if only he could not talk or be respectful and not a piece of shit.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Don't think it'll be weight cut, Khabibs last cut went great and Conor has never had issues cutting weight especially at LW. Training injuries I could see, those AKA guys go hard and are notorious for that.

LSC thinks Khabib will miss weight for every fight. Also, when was the last time AKA had a high profile fighter miss a fight due to a sparring injury? Cormier for UFC 206 is the last one I can think of.

Reactions: LSCII

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I generally find from observation that the biggest source of injuries in this sport come a lot more from wrestling training than hard sparring. I doubt AKA will ever tone down their wrestling practice.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
LSC thinks Khabib will miss weight for every fight. Also, when was the last time AKA had a high profile fighter miss a fight due to a sparring injury? Cormier for UFC 206 is the last one I can think of.

I go by the record of the fighter. McGregor has typically shown up and fought, regardless, while Khabib has pulled out of fights because both injury and bad weight cuts.

As for AKA, off the top of my head, Cain, Corriea, DC, and Khabib have all pulled out for medical reasons in the near recent past.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I generally find from observation that the biggest source of injuries in this sport come a lot more from wrestling training than hard sparring. I doubt AKA will ever tone down their wrestling practice.

Sorry. To clarify, I meant training overall, not just the act of stand up sparing. I lumped it all together and should have been more clear. They're a very physical gym and their fighters seem to get hurt more frequently during their camps than other gyms.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
maybe I'm reading too much into his instagram, but the way Conor is captioning his photos makes me think something is coming...

read rumours that the fight could be announced by Friday for Conor/Khabib.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
maybe I'm reading too much into his instagram, but the way Conor is captioning his photos makes me think something is coming...

read rumours that the fight could be announced by Friday for Conor/Khabib.

I'm sure the plan is to have them at the press conference on Friday. Should be interesting.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I really wanted Ferguson vs. Poirier but I'm more than okay with this. It'll be nice to finally have Nate fight again. Article says it's the co-main for the MSG card.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If the Khabib/Conor fight is next, which all signs are pointing to, and Nate is fighting Poirier in November, I wonder where this leaves Tony Ferguson? I looked or an injury upate but the only thing I could find was an article from May saying he'd like to fight Khabib for the title in November.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Finally official. Been waiting for it for a while so hopefully it actually happens.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Excited for the fight, but the fact that they showed the bus incident in the promo video... They went full WWE with this one. :laugh:

Reactions: tacogeoff

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If the Khabib/Conor fight is next, which all signs are pointing to, and Nate is fighting Poirier in November, I wonder where this leaves Tony Ferguson? I looked or an injury upate but the only thing I could find was an article from May saying he'd like to fight Khabib for the title in November.

Hopefully they get him on the card so that he's ready in case something happens. Ferguson vs Pettis would be a fun one. Or just do Ferguson v Aldo at 155lbs - that really sets up some intriguing fights going forward.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Best part is it's only 8 weeks away so we don't have to wait long and there likely won't be some extended promo tour.

Nate got pissed and walked out when the video started playing and says he's not fighting now. Apparently he thought that fight was going to be the main event for his card but it's actually a month earlier.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So who headlines 230 then? DC/Gus? That would be a letdown. Rose? Cybord/Nunes? Ortega/Aldo for interim FW belt? There's no good options here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So who headlines 230 then? DC/Gus? That would be a letdown. Rose? Cybord/Nunes? Ortega/Aldo for interim FW belt? There's no good options here.

Cyborg/Nunes isn't going to happen until December. The only fights that make sense are DC vs someone or something crazy like GSP vs Anderson Silva.

Probably will be DC v Miocic 2.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think I'd prefer they just make Diaz vs. Poirier the main event so it's a five round fight rather than some random title fight. I can't think of anything great they could put in that slot with what's available.

Diaz vs. Poirier
Rockhold vs. Weidman
Romero vs. Costa*
Brunson vs. Adesanya
Jacare vs. Branch

*Still not confirmed even though the UFC tweeted it's official.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nate got pissed and walked out when the video started playing and says he's not fighting now. Apparently he thought that fight was going to be the main event for his card but it's actually a month earlier.

This is what happens when you have a guy who loves to stir the pot, but also isn't all that bright. :laugh:

Oct 15, 2008
He is a Connor ball huffer. You cant take anything he says seriously. It’s gonna be funny when Khabib rides Connor like a pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad