MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He is a Connor ball huffer. You cant take anything he says seriously. It’s gonna be funny when Khabib rides Connor like a pony.

Meh, I like LSC. His Pride and PED takes usually get me going lol. But overall he's more knowledgeable than the idiots commenting on MMAFighting and MMAJunkie, as is pretty much everyone in here.

Plus he's a Bruins fan.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He is a Connor ball huffer. You cant take anything he says seriously. It’s gonna be funny when Khabib rides Connor like a pony.

I am a fan of good fights, regardless of who wins. McGregor generally goes in with the intentions of putting on a good show, and his fights are usually memorable. If he wins or loses, it doesn't really matter to me. My whole goal as a fan is to be entertained. And if he does win, it usually means a very large percentage of fans are going to be pissed because they dislike the guy. That's actually the best part of it. :laugh:

If Khabib rides him like a pony, so be it, just as long as it's not a boring ass fight. The biggest challenge facing Khabib is making it to the fight. That's where he usually struggles. But even if McGregor wins, you'll be here saying Tony, or whomever he fights next, will destroy him. Which again, makes it better...:laugh:

Oct 15, 2008
I am a fan of good fights, regardless of who wins. McGregor generally goes in with the intentions of putting on a good show, and his fights are usually memorable. If he wins or loses, it doesn't really matter to me. My whole goal as a fan is to be entertained. And if he does win, it usually means a very large percentage of fans are going to be pissed because they dislike the guy. That's actually the best part of it. :laugh:

If Khabib rides him like a pony, so be it, just as long as it's not a boring ass fight. The biggest challenge facing Khabib is making it to the fight. That's where he usually struggles. But even if McGregor wins, you'll be here saying Tony, or whomever he fights next, will destroy him. Which again, makes it better...:laugh:
It will be the most interesting fight in years. I don’t think Ferguson could beat either McGregor or Khabib. I don’t think Connor has much of a chance, but he does have a chance. We will see what happens.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Excited for the fight, but the fact that they showed the bus incident in the promo video... They went full WWE with this one. :laugh:
It's the elephant in the room. They almost have to address it and it's part of the story...however cringe worthy it is. I'm just glad the fight is finally happening. It was/is getting on my nerves all the people who definitively say one guy will easily beat the other. I have no idea who will win and that's why it's such an interesting fight.

Good to see Nate back. Whatever happens, I just hope Conor doesn't win AND Nate loses. Any other outcome, it keeps the trilogy dream alive. I don't buy Nate's threat that he won't fight. He's just making noise to get his name out there. He had to know Conor vs. Khabib was coming.

UFC 230 is already a can't miss card and they haven't announced a main event yet. Personally, I wish DC would give Stipe a rematch.

Only 2 fights announced for the following Fight Night, but I'm in for that one too. Frankie vs. Korean Zombie and Cowboy vs. Perry.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's the elephant in the room. They almost have to address it and it's part of the story...however cringe worthy it is. I'm just glad the fight is finally happening. It was/is getting on my nerves all the people who definitively say one guy will easily beat the other. I have no idea who will win and that's why it's such an interesting fight.

Good to see Nate back. Whatever happens, I just hope Conor doesn't win AND Nate loses. Any other outcome, it keeps the trilogy dream alive. I don't buy Nate's threat that he won't fight. He's just making noise to get his name out there. He had to know Conor vs. Khabib was coming.

UFC 230 is already a can't miss card and they haven't announced a headliner yet. Personally, I wish DC would give Stipe a rematch.

Only 2 fights announced for the following Fight Night, but I'm in for that one too. Frankie vs. Korean Zombie and Cowboy vs. Perry.

If Khabib can take Conor down it's advantage Khabib. If Conor can keep it stood up he'll murder Khabib, whose standup looked pretty shoddy against Iaquinta.

Nate's stirring the pot like normal. He knows he's got one money fight and then another one if he wins. Hell, even if he loses.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

UFC 230 is already a can't miss card and they haven't announced a main event yet. Personally, I wish DC would give Stipe a rematch.

This is the annoying part to me as well. There are two obvious ways the fight will go (Khabib takes him down and smashes him, or Conor tunes him up on the feet) yet the fans of either guy are completely discounting the opposite method where their guy might get killed. Half of the people will technically end up "right" even if the reasoning doesn't add up.

And yeah, some fun cards coming up. Hoping some of these murky divisions get straightened up soon.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Khabib can take Conor down it's advantage Khabib. If Conor can keep it stood up he'll murder Khabib, whose standup looked pretty shoddy against Iaquinta.

Nate's stirring the pot like normal. He knows he's got one money fight and then another one if he wins. Hell, even if he loses.
Yeah, of course. But nobody knows how it will play out.

Nate is a decent draw by himself, but he's got one BIG money fight left and that is Conor. If Conor beats Khabib and Nate loses, it is going to be tough for him to get that trilogy fight.

This is the annoying part to me as well. There are two obvious ways the fight will go (Khabib takes him down and smashes him, or Conor tunes him up on the feet) yet the fans of either guy are completely discounting the opposite method where their guy might get killed. Half of the people will technically end up "right" even if the reasoning doesn't add up.

And yeah, some fun cards coming up. Hoping some of these murky divisions get straightened up soon.
Yeah, the "I told you so!" comments might be even worse. If you at least went and actually put money down, then fine. Go ahead and gloat. Otherwise, shut up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Such a disgrace that Dana continues to turn a blind eye for certain fighters.

Might as well make a card that headlines the Diaz brothers, McGregor, Jones, Lesnar etc.. Call it UFC "We don't give a shit about your past" Fight Night.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I think it's a straight up pick em at this point. Whomever can assert their will into the fight is who's going to win. Is McG's take down defense good enough to keep Khabib standing? Is Khabib strong enough on his feet to withstand McGregor's punching and kicking while he works to get McG down to the ground? Can Conor withstand the ground and pound and get back up? Lot's of interesting angles to this fight. Hard to say what will happen, but I fully expect it to be entertaining at the very least, which as a fan, is all I want.

Reactions: m9

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Might as well make a card that headlines the Diaz brothers, McGregor, Jones, Lesnar etc.. Call it UFC "We don't give a **** about your past" Fight Night.

I'd put Nate and McGregor's offenses in a far different category than Lesnar and Jones, and Nick Diaz appears to be a complete dirt bag with what he's been charged with. Have to wait to see it all shake out, but don't fool yourself. There are plenty of dirt bags in MMA right now besides these guys. I mean wasn't Mike Perry on probation when he debuted in the UFC? I vaguely recall him being on house arrest for something...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Might as well make a card that headlines the Diaz brothers, McGregor, Jones, Lesnar etc.. Call it UFC "We don't give a **** about your past" Fight Night.

So people are treated differently based on their value to the company they work for?

That is how life works. Quit whining and get used to it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Coker loves his tournaments. My only complaint is that 8 man tournaments take way too long to finish but there could be some interesting match-ups here. It would've been weird if Rory (or whoever beats him) wasn't defending the belt throughout so I'm glad they cleared that up.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Can't wait for Daley/MVP and Ruth/Gracie. Hell, I'm loving all the matchups. Rory's title will also be on the line every time he fights, so Rory/Fitch will be a title fight. All fights will be 5 rounds.

But Bellator should have learned from the HW tourney that NO ONE is a fan of the pacing of the rounds. The Stanley Cup Final will be over before this tournament is. That is embarrassing.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I watch sports to watch the best athletes in their field perform. I couldn’t care less what they do when they’re not performing

Reactions: LSCII

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Anyone else watch the contender series? It’s not high level MMA but it’s some of the most fun events. These guys go all out to get finishes and the best part is the entire thing is over in less than two hours.

Hardy had another easy win last night. It’s still far too early to tell what he can become but just like his last fight, you can see he’s on another level compared to most HWs when it comes to the combination of power, speed, and athleticism. We all know he’s a terrible person but they’re going to be invested him because of that raw talent. He’s currently fighting guys who have nothing for him though, which is normal for someone with his experience.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Anyone else watch the contender series? It’s not high level MMA but it’s some of the most fun events. These guys go all out to get finishes and the best part is the entire thing is over in less than two hours.

Hardy had another easy win last night. It’s still far too early to tell what he can become but just like his last fight, you can see he’s on another level compared to most HWs when it comes to the combination of power, speed, and athleticism. We all know he’s a terrible person but they’re going to be invested him because of that raw talent. He’s currently fighting guys who have nothing for him though, which is normal for someone with his experience.
How are the guys Hardy is fighting? Are they on the same level as other guys on the Contender Series? Or are they handing him cans so he smashes them and they can build up the story?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Coker loves his tournaments. My only complaint is that 8 man tournaments take way too long to finish but there could be some interesting match-ups here. It would've been weird if Rory (or whoever beats him) wasn't defending the belt throughout so I'm glad they cleared that up.

Bellator knocking it outta the park with this one! I can't wait. They need to roll out some promotion though, these are some world class big exciting fights.

I honestly try to keep up with Bellator but far too often cards with good fights sneak up on me. Or I see the results and think wtf? How did I miss this?

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
How are the guys Hardy is fighting? Are they on the same level as other guys on the Contender Series? Or are they handing him cans so he smashes them and they can build up the story?

I can only go based on record because I haven't seen them actually compete but they appear to be on a similar level as Hardy as far as experience goes. The first fighter was 2-0 with both being early first round finishes and yesterday the guy was 3-0 with all three wins via TKO. There's an obvious difference in talent though as Hardy made quick work of both of them.

Bellator knocking it outta the park with this one! I can't wait. They need to roll out some promotion though, these are some world class big exciting fights.

I honestly try to keep up with Bellator but far too often cards with good fights sneak up on me. Or I see the results and think wtf? How did I miss this?

Just don't miss Rory vs. Mousasi next month. On paper that might be the best fight they've ever had.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Somewhat hockey related, the PFL has secured $28 million of capital from comedian Kevin Hart, motivational speaker Tony Robbins, TV producer Mark Burnett, and Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis.

PFL President Carlos Silva on what $28 million investment means for promotion

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've quickly become a PFL fan. Don't usually get to watch the events live, but can catch condensed main cards (no commercials) a couple days after.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I have a feeling the McGregor/Khabib fight won't happen - at least not in October

It seems like it's kinda been rushed, so I have to wonder if they're announcing it so it doesn't look like McGregor has completely stepped away from the cage

Hopefully I'm wrong, but like I said, I just have a feeling

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I have a feeling the McGregor/Khabib fight won't happen - at least not in October

It seems like it's kinda been rushed, so I have to wonder if they're announcing it so it doesn't look like McGregor has completely stepped away from the cage

Hopefully I'm wrong, but like I said, I just have a feeling
I think it's been in the works for a while now, but they couldn't finalize it until Conor's legal troubles were settled.

I'd also add that, based on their histories, if the fight doesn't happen, it will probably be on Khabib. Has Conor ever signed a fight contract and not shown up to fight? He took a terrible stylist matchup in Mendes on short notice, he took on the 'unbeatable' Aldo, he moved up in weight to fight the 'unbeatable' RDA only to move up further in weight to fight Nate on short notice, and of course the Mayweather fight that even he had to know he was going to lose. Khabib on the other hand...well, not as nearly sterling of a record for showing up to fight.

And I don't say that as a Khabib-hater or a Conor-fanboy. I like both guys, but facts are facts.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think it's been in the works for a while now, but they couldn't finalize it until Conor's legal troubles were settled.

I'd also add that, based on their histories, if the fight doesn't happen, it will probably be on Khabib. Has Conor ever signed a fight contract and not shown up to fight? He took a terrible stylist matchup in Mendes on short notice, he took on the 'unbeatable' Aldo, he moved up in weight to fight the 'unbeatable' RDA only to move up further in weight to fight Nate on short notice, and of course the Mayweather fight that even he had to know he was going to lose. Khabib on the other hand...well, not as nearly sterling of a record for showing up to fight.

And I don't say that as a Khabib-hater or a Conor-fanboy. I like both guys, but facts are facts.

The mindset of a fighter looking to ascend to the top can often change once they get there

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The mindset of a fighter looking to ascend to the top can often change once they get there
I said based on their histories.

But I'm not going to doubt Conor until he gives me a reason to. He hasn't yet. He's showed up to fight...Every. Single. Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->