MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean, you posted it to begin with and said “f*** this dude” so...

For This I have no problem with Khabib. Dudes upset his religion is being attacked. Khabib’s associations with Kadyrov on the other hand I am far less ok with...unfortunately he is far from the only fighter to have those. Like I mean wtf is Weidman doing with that guy

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I mean, you posted it to begin with and said “f*** this dude” so...

For This I have no problem with Khabib. Dudes upset his religion is being attacked. Khabib’s associations with Kadyrov on the other hand I am far less ok with...unfortunately he is far from the only fighter to have those. Like I mean wtf is Weidman doing with that guy

Sorry, but this is garbage.

The specific incident that Macron is discussing (and Khabib is coming at him for) is absolutely disgusting. It's not a referendum on his religion, it's about a specific incident.

I don't care that you think your religion got insulted, that's not enough to support someone getting beheaded or other forms of extreme violence. Using "my religion was insulted" as justification for this kind of act is sick.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sorry, but this is garbage.

The specific incident that Macron is discussing (and Khabib is coming at him for) is absolutely disgusting. It's not a referendum on his religion, it's about a specific incident.

I don't care that you think your religion got insulted, that's not enough to support someone getting beheaded or other forms of extreme violence. Using "my religion was insulted" as justification for this kind of act is sick.

Where did he support the beheading again? You’re going to have to point that out because it didn’t happen.

Just because you don’t like my opinion doesn’t make it garbage. Macron specifically targeted the religion as being under crisis globally when he’s a Catholic. That’s LOL funny (coming from somebody who grew up in the Catholic Church)

you can denounce what Macron said without endorsing the acts of terror that were committed. It takes a little bit of perspective and critical thought and the MMA community isn’t the best with that though so I understand....

Khabib is speaking out against Macron’s support of using his god as a caricature under the guise of freedom of speech. Millions upon millions of people feel the same way. 99.999% wont react with extremist violence. Maybe be respectful of people’s religions...novel concept, I know

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Where did he support the beheading again? You’re going to have to point that out because it didn’t happen.

Just because you don’t like my opinion doesn’t make it garbage. Macron specifically targeted the religion as being under crisis globally when he’s a Catholic. That’s LOL funny (coming from somebody who grew up in the Catholic Church)

you can denounce what Macron said without endorsing the acts of terror that were committed. It takes a little bit of perspective and critical thought and the MMA community isn’t the best with that though so I understand....

Khabib is speaking out against Macron’s support of using his god as a caricature under the guise of freedom of speech. Millions upon millions of people feel the same way. 99.999% wont react with extremist violence. Maybe be respectful of people’s religions...novel concept, I know

This is why context is important. If Macron had randomly come out with this speech then I would be saying something different. If you choose to ignore context - which is obviously extremely important in this matter - I can see why you would have this opinion.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This is why context is important. If Macron had randomly come out with this speech then I would be saying something different. If you choose to ignore context - which is obviously extremely important in this matter - I can see why you would have this opinion.

Yeah well he still singled out Islam for being under a global crisis and supported caricatures of Muhammad so he’s gonna get angry backlash from the Muslim community. I’d suggest he deal with it and people stop slandering Khabib for saying he supports terrorism because that’s not what happened here.

And im not ignoring context at all so try again. I know why he came out with his recent speech. Btw he singled out Islam weeks before the beheading.

And I do want to clarify that there is obviously no justification for cutting a guys head off. It’s subhuman, savage behavior. I will say that if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes though. Drawing a caricature of Muhammad is like throwing a rock at a grizzly bear at this point- this isn’t the safari zone in Pokémon. This is the real world and there are a lot of people who are going to be offended by that, and if a lot of people are offended by it then there’s almost certainly going to be some crazies among that large group. And that’s kind of what we are seeing. Plus it’s played out. South Park did it 15 years ago, people should get some new material when it comes to showing off free speech.

my apologies if this is all too political. I just don’t think it’s fair to say Khabib is more or less endorsing terrorism.

Definitely fair to say Zelim Imadaev did condone terrorism though and for that I post this video of him getting embarrassed by Michel Pereira

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'll probably get more excited if/when it gets close but I'd much prefer the Jones fight if Adesanya's moving up, even without a belt on the line. I do like Adesanya's chances in this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I usually hate guys moving up for superfights but honestly I like it here. It's by far the most intriguing fight for either guy. Hoping they can get that booked for February.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If Izzy wins that fight you know Bones is coming

It puts Jones in a weird spot though. With Stipe and Ngannou coming next does Jones fight someone else at heavyweight first or wait that fight out and try to jump into a title fight against the winner? Or does he wait to see what happens with Izzy and Blachowicz at light heavy and then come back and fight for that title? It's not going to be easy for Jones to beef up to heavyweight and then drop back down to light heavy. He's been straddling the line between both divisions but I kind of think he's going to need to commit to one division or the other fairly soon.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It puts Jones in a weird spot though. With Stipe and Ngannou coming next does Jones fight someone else at heavyweight first or wait that fight out and try to jump into a title fight against the winner? Or does he wait to see what happens with Izzy and Blachowicz at light heavy and then come back and fight for that title? It's not going to be easy for Jones to beef up to heavyweight and then drop back down to light heavy. He's been straddling the line between both divisions but I kind of think he's going to need to commit to one division or the other fairly soon.

I think Izzy really bothers him personally and he’s going to do whatever he can to get him in the octagon.

Such a troll move by Izzy to do this now for the reasons you outlined too :laugh:. He’s basically telling Jon he can have him but it will be a year knowing that it’ll be downright impossible for Jones to beef up to fight Stipe/Francis and then move all the way back down. It’s basically ice your career to fight Izzy or move up and let him keep poking your buttons

also neither here nor there but RDA is a +350 underdog against Islam. Wow

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I'll probably get more excited if/when it gets close but I'd much prefer the Jones fight if Adesanya's moving up, even without a belt on the line. I do like Adesanya's chances in this one.

Weird part for me is that according to Dana they we’re looking to do the Whittaker fight again but Rob didn’t want it so they decided to do this. I guess he’s not over the clowning Izzy handed him yet.

Reactions: Avs_19

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Weird part for me is that according to Dana they we’re looking to do the Whittaker fight again but Rob didn’t want it so they decided to do this. I guess he’s not over the clowning Izzy handed him yet.

Whittaker has been pretty open about not really caring one way or the other.

Tbh I don’t know if he wants to hold the title ever again. He was pretty open about the extra responsibilities/pressures getting to him a bit. It’s why he got burnt out

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Whittaker never said he wouldn't fight Izzy again, he just gave his usual super chill response and said he'd fight whoever they give him next but he needs some time off as he's about to have another child. Dana just interpreted that as "Whittaker doesn't want to fight Adesanya" because he's Dana. I actually think it's the other way around and Izzy doesn't have any interest in fighting Whittaker again. Ariel said on his podcast with DC a few days ago he heard from someone in Izzy's camp they had absolutely zero interest in fighting Whittaker again. As soon as Canonier lost that fight Izzy probably made the decision he would go up to LHW.

With everyone in the UFC seemingly thinking Jan is an easy mark he could really become the people's champ with some nice upset wins soon.

Also, how about Uriah Hall beating Anderson Silva just to have Dana **** all over him ten minutes later. He called Hall one of the most gunshy fighters in the UFC.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As with everything Dana says, I think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt that "Whittaker doesn't want the fight." Whittaker has a baby on the way and said he wants to enjoy Christmas with his family. If the UFC wanted that fight in February and Whittaker wanted more time, in Dana's warped reality, that's "not wanting the fight". Whittaker needs to be careful. If he loses to Stylebender again, his only hope to regain the belt would then be for someone else to beat Stylebender. He won't get a 3rd shot at him, 170lb is too tough of a cut, and 205 is way too big for him. So he can't let the UFC bully him into taking a fight when he's not ready.

As for Stylebender-Jan, I don't like it. The winner of Glover-Santos deserves a title shot. I could see an argument that Santos would only have 1 win in the last 2 years because of the injury, but he also beat Jan, sooooooo....

Although, from Izzy's perspective, if he wants to fight and Whittaker isn't ready, there is no one else really to fight. People will say Jones and I agree it would be a bigger fight, but I also think it would be even bigger if one of them had the belt.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I know Whittaker is extremely likable, and people chalk up his answer to being a chill dude. But it is a little odd IMO. Very rare for a fighter to get smoked by someone and not be chomping at the bit for a rematch. Personally I think that's a bad thing, but maybe he is more enlightened than me and has the right things in perspective.

The Jan fight just makes too much sense for Izzy to turn down. No offense to Jan, but you're not going to get a better/easier matchup stylistically to become 205 champ than him. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if Adesanya didn't put on a clinic picking him apart.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I mean, the correct way to term what Whittaker said is he doesn't want the fight.. right now. I'm sure he he's eying a return more towards the middle of next year so the timeline doesn't work for him. Not a big deal, just very poorly worded by Dana White. By the time Whittaker comes back it's possible Adesanya has completely moved on from 185lbs and Whittaker will find himself in a title fight anyway.

I like the Adesanya/Blachowicz fight as there's nobody who deserves the fight at 185lbs anyway. If Santos beats Glover this weekend then I think it's perfectly fair for him to need one more fight before he gets a title fight given his inactivity.

The only guy who gets kind of screwed IMO is Glover if he wins this weekend. He's on a nice streak, and if he wins this weekend that would be 2 wins vs the top of the division during this streak. I think that's worthy of a title shot, and now he probably won't get it next.

How Jon Jones fits in is pretty interesting to me... but more annoying than interesting. If Jones is just going back to 205lbs, I don't know what the point of all this has been for the last few months. And if he's going back, just have him fight Blachowicz first and have Adesanya defend against someone at 185lb.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Whittaker can't setup his jab with the reach difference and would just get picked apart again. He needs to add some GSP-style wrestling/GnP to his game to beat Adesanya, which we haven't seen much of in his last two fights. Jan at least has the power, reach and ground game to take his game to Israel.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
How Jon Jones fits in is pretty interesting to me... but more annoying than interesting. If Jones is just going back to 205lbs, I don't know what the point of all this has been for the last few months. And if he's going back, just have him fight Blachowicz first and have Adesanya defend against someone at 185lb.
Jon's next fight needs to be at HW. If he gets jealous because Stylebender wins the LHW belt and goes back to 205 right away, he's going to look like such a tool. The GOAT should not be chasing around a guy who is naturally a weight class below him. He needs to stick to "I've got my eye on the HW belt and we'll see what happens after that." But I think Izzy is in his head and his ego won't allow anyone else to have the spotlight even for a minute, so he'll probably fall for it.

I don't think Jan is a big enough name yet for Jones to go back on his move to HW. That could change with a win over Stylebender, but still I think Jones should go for the HW belt first.

Whittaker can't setup his jab with the reach difference and would just get picked apart again. He needs to add some GSP-style wrestling/GnP to his game to beat Adesanya, which we haven't seen much of in his last two fights. Jan at least has the power, reach and ground game to take his game to Israel.
Jan has good striking, but I think Stylebender is several levels above him and he would have the speed advantage. The part I'd be looking for is how Stylebender's power translates to LHW. If Jan is able to just eat them in order to land a few of his own, it could be a problem for Izzy. If Izzy has enough power to earn Jan's respect, though, I think he would pick him apart. If Jan got it to the ground, I assume he'd have the advantage, but I think Izzy's too fast and too smart to let Jan put him against the fence and I don't think Jan is explosive enough to take him down in the center of the cage.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Robert Whittaker 'confused' by Dana White's 'twist on words' about Israel Adesanya rematch

Whittaker basically confirming what we were speculating. It's not that he doesn't want Izzy, he just doesn't want to fight until March or April. Granted, he could also be lying or telling half truths to save face, but the only people that lie more than promoters are politicians.

Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson in the works for UFC 257

This would be the Conor-Poirier card if they ever make that official. Good fight for Ribas. Step up in competition and a name, but still a fight she should win. She didn't look out of place at FLW and Waterson is a natural AW. Ribas will have the advantage on the ground and despite the Karate Hottie moniker, Waterson isn't much of a threat to KO anybody.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Robert Whittaker 'confused' by Dana White's 'twist on words' about Israel Adesanya rematch

Whittaker basically confirming what we were speculating. It's not that he doesn't want Izzy, he just doesn't want to fight until March or April. Granted, he could also be lying or telling half truths to save face, but the only people that lie more than promoters are politicians.

Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson in the works for UFC 257

This would be the Conor-Poirier card if they ever make that official. Good fight for Ribas. Step up in competition and a name, but still a fight she should win. She didn't look out of place at FLW and Waterson is a natural AW. Ribas will have the advantage on the ground and despite the Karate Hottie moniker, Waterson isn't much of a threat to KO anybody.

Agreed with you on Ribas. I think this is a good fight for her. Waterson is basically just a top 10 version of PVZ, so it's a nice step up for Ribas without throwing her into deep water yet.

As for Whittaker, It seems to me that the UFC/White/Adesanya were expecting Cannonier to win and when he didn't they're just kind of throwing other options out there without really thinking them through. At this point I'm just going to wait to see what actually gets announced before I care too much about it.

Reactions: member 51464
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad