MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
MLS not using the away goals rule...They just can't get it right it seems, always need to fucq with something that is working fine everywhere.

Anyway Portland went through.

They do use the away goals rule. They just don't use it in extra time which makes sense. You have to be the biggest Debbie Downer I've ever encountered when it comes to MLS.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Might be time to change the thread title soon to "Exit Zlatan"...

One downside of stepping down as a mod: I can't edit the title anymore :laugh:

We're well over 1,000 now and that's supposed to be a thing again, though, so if someone wanted to start a new thread go right ahead.

He indicated after meeting with the media that he was likely to stay. I suspect Gio will be on the way and Zlatan will take his spot as our last DP. But honestly if he decides to leave I wouldn't blame him

I hope this is the case, and I'm with you in completely understanding Zlatan if he wants out.

Mostly I just want Gio gone. Also Klein, but only one of them is plausible right now.

Reactions: kingsboy11

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
They do use the away goals rule. They just don't use it in extra time which makes sense. You have to be the biggest Debbie Downer I've ever encountered when it comes to MLS.
How does it makes sense, the home team already has the big advantage of playing 30 extra minutes AT HOME. All it does is making the league look like a joke.
I'm a fan of soccer, I can watch tons of leagues and different levels, I just don't understand all the bizarre things MLS does. I want the sport to succeed here, simply I hate when MLS takes bad decisions, which still happens way to often.

Like 17 days off for Portland before the next game. After having played 3 playoff games in 9 days.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
How does it makes sense, the home team already has the big advantage of playing 30 extra minutes AT HOME. All it does is making the league look like a joke.
I'm a fan of soccer, I can watch tons of leagues and different levels, I just don't understand all the bizarre things MLS does. I want the sport to succeed here, simply I hate when MLS takes bad decisions, which still happens way to often.

Like 17 days off for Portland before the next game. After having played 3 playoff games in 9 days.

Because Seattle played a 34 game season to earn the right to play extra time at home in the most important game of the year thus far. Why are we going to penalize them for being the better team all year with away goal rule in ET?

Go find something else to bitch about...oh wait, I see you already have.

Reactions: sabremike

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm totally fine with not using away goals in ET.

MLS does some stupid stuff, but nitpicking ET away goals is a really dumb thing to come at them with.
I think two legged MLS playoff ties are dumb anyway. that would be an "easy" way to avoid this

Reactions: Pouchkine

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Hot take.........

The playoffs suck. We're conditioned in NA to playoffs being the end all be all, but I actually have grown to love the regular season table deciding it. It's a far better a way to reward the best teams.

Though I understand it's unlikely in MLS cause it would't appeal to the casual fan, and because of the travel and divisions cause unbalanced schedules.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the playoffs are fairly dumb overall for a league, but if you're gonna have them I have no issues with pre-final games being two legged.
I do. It extends the season too long. It should not be ending in December. Also since the matchups are seeded, there is no for 2 legs. It makes the regular season even more meaningless and really reduces a teams home field advantage; which is the point of seeding the games.

It's stupid.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I do. It extends the season too long. It should not be ending in December. Also since the matchups are seeded, there is no for 2 legs. It makes the regular season even more meaningless and really reduces a teams home field advantage; which is the point of seeding the games.

It's stupid.
Now that's a great comment. Thank You!

Also you see very small crowds in a lot of places come november, those home/away playoff ties are beyond stupid, the regular season is basically one long boring ride and the playoffs are to long and especially incoherent.

Portland 3 games in 9 days after that 17 days before the next one, how is that logic and good marketing for the playoffs?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
FC Cincinnati will be picking 5 players in an expansion draft on Dec 11. This is the team that already has Adi and Alashe. Also they will get more allocation money than any other team because teams that had a player picked by LAFC last year are exempt. That means Seattle, San Jose, Sporting KC, Toronto, and Columbus will be exempt from the draft.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Now that's a great comment. Thank You!

Also you see very small crowds in a lot of places come november, those home/away playoff ties are beyond stupid, the regular season is basically one long boring ride and the playoffs are to long and especially incoherent.

Portland 3 games in 9 days after that 17 days before the next one, how is that logic and good marketing for the playoffs?
Unfortunately a lot about the MLS playoffs is stupid. They really should be looking to end the season before the NBA starts, and they absolutely need to stop scheduling important playoff games on the weekends during NFL and College Football. They should be trying to own Friday night

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Unfortunately a lot about the MLS playoffs is stupid. They really should be looking to end the season before the NBA starts, and they absolutely need to stop scheduling important playoff games on the weekends during NFL and College Football. They should be trying to own Friday night

Yeah I really cannot understand what they're thinking going on consecutive sundays against the NFL. You're not winning that. Ever.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
FC Cincinnati will be picking 5 players in an expansion draft on Dec 11. This is the team that already has Adi and Alashe. Also they will get more allocation money than any other team because teams that had a player picked by LAFC last year are exempt. That means Seattle, San Jose, Sporting KC, Toronto, and Columbus will be exempt from the draft.
Isn't Alashe a loan? (Wikipedia sure seems to think so...)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
MLS not using the away goals rule...They just can't get it right it seems, always need to fucq with something that is working fine everywhere.

Anyway Portland went through.
In UCL the legs are determined by a random draw, so there is a reason to mitigate the advantage the team hosting the second leg. In MLS the team hosting the second leg earned that right by virtue of their regular season record. They earned that advantage. Mitigating their advantage in any way would be absurd.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
In UCL the legs are determined by a random draw, so there is a reason to mitigate the advantage the team hosting the second leg. In MLS the team hosting the second leg earned that right by virtue of their regular season record. They earned that advantage. Mitigating their advantage in any way would be absurd.
If you look at the statistics of mls playoff history those home-away ties are close to 50% even, so your season advantage isn't coming into play. 1 game playoff would be FAR BETTER FOR TV and easy to follow for "casuals". The biggest problem with MLS that they have to fix in the years ahead is tv ratings. One game playoff are easy to schedule and hype.

And for the first knockout in the Champions League the home team in the return leg is the team that finished 1st in their group.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you look at the statistics of mls playoff history those home-away ties are close to 50% even, so your season advantage isn't coming into play. 1 game playoff would be FAR BETTER FOR TV and easy to follow for "casuals". The biggest problem with MLS that they have to fix in the years ahead is tv ratings. One game playoff are easy to schedule and hype.

And for the first knockout in the Champions League the home team in the return leg is the team that finished 1st in their group.
I totally agree they should all be one offs. Problem is that the TV partners want more games. It's shortsighted as hell but it is what it is.

Edit: one idea for 2 leg ties that used to be used in Mexico: if the aggregate is even the higher seed wins the tiebreaker and advances.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I totally agree they should all be one offs. Problem is that the TV partners want more games. It's shortsighted as hell but it is what it is.

Edit: one idea for 2 leg ties that used to be used in Mexico: if the aggregate is even the higher seed wins the tiebreaker and advances.

I dislike the idea of using regular season results as a tie breaker just becuase it feels gimicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad