MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If he doesn’t, his spot on the National Team will be gone by the World Cup. No sane coach is going to take a 28 year old MLS’er over a young kid having success in one of the best European leagues, potentially for a team playing in European competitions.
Berhalter honestly might

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can almost guarantee Austin takes a keeper and a CB in the expansion draft. I think a lot of teams will use Nashville as a blueprint for how non-rich teams come into the MLS. With the trades made yesterday by Austin, their back line looks something like:

Sweat-Cascante-xxx-Lima

With Segura sitting in front. I’d assume they go after a Sjoberg, DeLaGarza, Ciman type of CB as well as a Bendnik, Rowe, Meara type of keeper.
Expansion draft is about being efficient. Don’t blow it on big salaries. Don’t blow international slots on it. Keep it simple. Also don’t take a guy who is out of contract if possible.
  • George Acosta - Inter Miami / unless they want to take a swing for Wil Trapp
  • Nico Lemoine - Houston Dynamo
  • One of Nealis/Seagrist/Stroud from RBNY
  • Rowe or Bendik for GK
  • Wyatt Omsburg from Chicago
Cheap, homegrown young depth. Some dice throws. You aren’t going to get your next star here but easy way to fill some roster holes.

also shoutout to Nashville who has my favorite player in the MLS

Last edited:

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Expansion draft is about being efficient. Don’t blow it on big salaries. Don’t blow international slots on it. Keep it simple. Also don’t take a guy who is out of contract if possible.
  • George Acosta - Inter Miami / unless they want to take a swing for Wil Trapp
  • Nico Lemoine - Houston Dynamo
  • One of Nealis/Seagrist/Stroud from RBNY
  • Rowe or Bendik for GK
  • Wyatt Omsburg from Chicago
Cheap, homegrown young depth. Some dice throws. You aren’t going to get your next star here but easy way to fill some roster holes.

also shoutout to Nashville who has my favorite player in the MLS

I agree. I actually think they overpaid for all 3 of those defenders, and wasted precious GAM. I'd rather go for an Opera/Zimmerman than those 3. Both and Abubakar went for near a million in GAM/TAM (I can't remember/tell the difference). Way more impactful than replacement level players like Sweat and Cascante.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
If he doesn’t, his spot on the National Team will be gone by the World Cup. No sane coach is going to take a 28 year old MLS’er over a young kid having success in one of the best European leagues, potentially for a team playing in European competitions.

Meh, depends on who breaks out. With Ledezma's injury (not same position but a midfielder that coulda pushed him out by shifting others) and Weah/Konrad/Llanez still not broken out, Morris' spot is still TBD.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree. I actually think they overpaid for all 3 of those defenders, and wasted precious GAM. I'd rather go for an Opera/Zimmerman than those 3. Both and Abubakar went for near a million in GAM/TAM (I can't remember/tell the difference). Way more impactful than replacement level players like Sweat and Cascante.
Yeah I mean the one thing you don’t want to do is hurt your flexibility trying to hit home runs.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lima was a great buy. Sweat and Cascante I agree aren’t hugely impactful players but both definitely have the ability to be solid players. Cascante is really good with the ball at his feet and Sweat will be a good option in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with the DP winger they signed in front of him so he doesn’t have to defend much and Sweat doesn’t have to get forward as much. My picks would be Akindele, Meara, Cornelius, Luis Felipe and someone who is trade bait. Akindele gives them a forward that knows MLS and can score. Meara can be replaced by Bendnik but basically keeper with MLS experience. Cornelius is a young CB and should only get better. Luis Felipe is an entirely favoritism pick and I don’t foresee them taking him. I love this guy though. Every time I watch him play (which granted isn’t as much as I’d like but with Sac Republic and SJ as my local channel games Ive seen more than you’d think as a Seattle fan) he’s everywhere. He works his ass off and should be a good box-to-box midfielder. Technically he isn’t perfect but basically Cristian Roldan lite. The last spot could be a young guy since Claudio Reyna said they aren’t really looking for trades but I think they need to recoup some allocation money and so my last spot is saved for whoever offers me to most money.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Meh, depends on who breaks out. With Ledezma's injury (not same position but a midfielder that coulda pushed him out by shifting others) and Weah/Konrad/Llanez still not broken out, Morris' spot is still TBD.

Two years ago were we talking about all those players? There were be more players we aren't talking about now just like we weren't talking about Reyna, Dest, Musah for the National Team two years ago, let alone guys like Weah/Konrad/Llanez/Ledezma. We are eventually going to get to a point where the only MLS guys who can make the team are the young players who've yet to move to Europe. I think there's a good chance it'll be by the World Cup.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Two years ago were you you talking about all those players? There were be more players we aren't talking about now just like we weren't talking about Reyna, Dest, Musah for the National Team two years ago, let alone guys like Weah/Konrad/Llanez/Ledezma. We are eventually going to get to a point where the only MLS guys who can make the team are the young players who've yet to move to Europe. I think there's a good chance it'll be by the World Cup.
It’s Morris’s spot to lose and I don’t think any of those guys will be better than him by then.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s Morris’s spot to lose and I don’t think any of those guys will be better than him by then.

I think you have it flipped. While I agree its his spot for now, it'll be for the guys in Europe to lose because they would be at a higher level environment. If they cannot get up to a requisite level, he will keep a spot.

He should go to Europe, and put himself in the same playing field as those guys. Prove he's better than Llanez/Konrad/Ledezma/Weah. It's very possible, but to take the case of Llanez, if we have a starter for Wolfsburg in two years, I don't know how Berhalter can justify taking a 28 year old MLS'er over a starter for Wolfsburg.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think you have it flipped. While I agree its his spot for now, it'll be for the guys in Europe to lose because they would be at a higher level environment. If they cannot get up to a requisite level, he will keep a spot.

He should go to Europe, and put himself in the same playing field as those guys. Prove he's better than Llanez/Konrad/Ledezma/Weah. It's very possible, but to take the case of Llanez, if we have a starter for Wolfsburg in two years, I don't know how Berhalter can justify taking a 28 year old MLS'er over a starter for Wolfsburg.
Why does it matter where they are playing, if they start, whatever? Tim Ream is a starter (or at least was at the beginning of the year) and I hope he never plays for the MLS again. To a lesser extent Miazga too. Yes I agree that Morris staying in the MLS lowers his ceiling but you are vastly undervaluing him by calling his just a MLSer. He is the best winger in the MLS. He can play anywhere along the frontline and at 28, he would be considered a vet presence which I’d much rather have on the team in a World Cup than an unproven kid with high potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why does it matter where they are playing, if they start, whatever? Tim Ream is a starter (or at least was at the beginning of the year) and I hope he never plays for the MLS again. To a lesser extent Miazga too. Yes I agree that Morris staying in the MLS lowers his ceiling but you are vastly undervaluing him by calling his just a MLSer. He is the best winger in the MLS. He can play anywhere along the frontline and at 28, he would be considered a vet presence which I’d much rather have on the team in a World Cup than an unproven kid with high potential.

I don’t think it’s as simple as MLS vs. Europe. It’s that there’s an up and coming generation playing in Europe that is better than prior ones. It’s not like people are saying pick Boyd over Morris because he plays in Europe. If it’s one of these younger kids who people think have a huge future as opposed to a 28 year old MLS lifer, I think it’ll be a hard sell to pick Morris.

I think Morris could be good enough on his own to claim a spot. And I never undervalued him. I said he’s the best player in MLS. That’s why I say he transfers to Europe and proves himself better than the young players at his position in Europe.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t think it’s as simple as MLS vs. Europe. It’s that there’s an up and coming generation playing in Europe that is better than prior ones. It’s not like people are saying pick Boyd over Morris because he plays in Europe. If it’s one of these younger kids who people think have a huge future as opposed to a 28 year old MLS lifer, I think it’ll be a hard sell to pick Morris.

I think Morris could be good enough on his own to claim a spot. And I never undervalued him. I said he’s the best player in MLS. That’s why I say he transfers to Europe and proves himself better than the young players at his position in Europe.
But if you are going for the World Cup, you take Morris especially right now along with those young guys and you let them battle for a spot.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And I got zero players from the expansion draft right :laugh:

Danny Hoesen (SJ), Jared Stroud (NYRB), Brady Scott (NSH), Joe Corona (LAG), and Kamal Miller (ORL).

Kamal Miller traded to Impact for allocation money and a first round pick (11th overall).

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Montreal now have 19 Canadians on their roster. Most ever by an MLS team.
It's by default, a lot of players who won't be coming back were already gone and some also injured. Those Canadians are mostly youngsters who probably won't play for the main team in the near future.

And no it's not a good idea to follow the team now after 4 losing seasons in a row and almost nothing that stands out in the current squad.

People are losing interest in Montreal with the evident lack of ambition of the owner.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's by default, a lot of players who won't be coming back were already gone and some also injured. Those Canadians are mostly youngsters who probably won't play for the main team in the near future.

And no it's not a good idea to follow the team now after 4 losing seasons in a row and almost nothing that stands out in the current squad.

People are losing interest in Montreal with the evident lack of ambition of the owner.
Default or not it's still a great sign for the Canadian game. When was there ever this many Canadians even on the cusp of making the MLS? Sure not all will stick with the club or the league but at least there are more carving out professional careers.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Default or not it's still a great sign for the Canadian game. When was there ever this many Canadians even on the cusp of making the MLS? Sure not all will stick with the club or the league but at least there are more carving out professional careers.
Still none of them played yesterday, we only made two subs, so they are still far from becoming MLS players.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Still none of them played yesterday, we only made two subs, so they are still far from becoming MLS players.
One of those subs was Canadian prospect Jean-Aniel Assi..... A Canadian who is 16 and well on his way to becoming an MLS player... Not sure what you are going for with "None of them played".

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
One of those subs was Canadian prospect Jean-Aniel Assi..... A Canadian who is 16 and well on his way to becoming an MLS player... Not sure what you are going for with "None of them played".
Soccerway has him as Ivory Coast nationality. If he now wants to play for Canada I didn't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad