MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Well at least if was fun to watch, now big final, let's hope the refereeing will be decent and we won't hear any excuses either way.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Should be a fun game tonight. Tigres is the better team overall, but LAFC have the best player on the field and the great equalizer, Carlos Vela. Too bad they haven't been able to pick someone up yet to replace BWP/Dio up top. No Atuesta hurts too.

I see this one going to extra time and Tigres getting the win. I hope I'm wrong. Also, it's a shame this isn't on FS1.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I hope LA wins. It would be cool to have MLS team at FIFA World Club Cup. That would be first time for MLS team, right ?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I hope LA wins. It would be cool to have MLS team at FIFA World Club Cup. That would be first time for MLS team, right ?

The Galaxy and DC United have won this competition before, just a different format. The Galaxy were invited the Club World Cup all those years ago, but the tournament was cancelled.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If MLS would like to gain a little street cred on the world stage, winning tonight would be a good start.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Tigres 0-0 LAFC after 45 minutes. Can't say the referee isn't letting them play, but not really any chances so far.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's actually quite impressive how MLS teams just can't win this competition... You basically only have real rivals from one league. Even during an odd year the league can't get it done.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
BWP headed to Columbus with FA now open.

Seattle needs to sign a winger, a RB, and a back up keeper. Hoping for Fagundez, Meredith, and honestly don’t care at RB. It’s Roldan’s position now, just need a back up that isn’t bad.

Reactions: Fro

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Its weird. If MLS teams were getting blown out, we'd know what the problem is.

Sure Liga MX is better, but MLS teams can and have beat them. Just...never in the Final. Frustrating.
I'd say the biggest difference is still the big gap in players quality within MLS teams, there's still too many weak spots even on the starting 11 which makes it easier to exploit for the Mexican teams who have a better balance.

Also the MLS format of a long regular season and then too many teams in the playoffs it seems when you go to a do or die one game format the teams are not used to such high pressure games as much.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
well this f*cking sucks

Sucks that we aren't likely to retain him. He was the shining light in a trash pile. I'm not glad to see him go, but if they were asking 10-15+ I can see why we backed out. Its hard to justify spending that kind of money on 1 player, when the rest of the team is shit. Gotta be able to invest in the whole team and not one player. That's what has gotten us into this position see Ibra came in.

So now we hire Vanney and now we have to find another DP player. Can't say I'm not nervous

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Sucks that we aren't likely to retain him. He was the shining light in a trash pile. I'm not glad to see him go, but if they were asking 10-15+ I can see why we backed out. Its hard to justify spending that kind of money on 1 player, when the rest of the team is shit. Gotta be able to invest in the whole team and not one player. That's what has gotten us into this position see Ibra came in.

So now we hire Vanney and now we have to find another DP player. Can't say I'm not nervous
:chicharito has entered the chat:

Reactions: kingsboy11

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Its weird. If MLS teams were getting blown out, we'd know what the problem is.

Sure Liga MX is better, but MLS teams can and have beat them. Just...never in the Final. Frustrating.
Since the start of the Champions League format in 2008, Liga MX has all of the champions and 8 of the 12 finalists, along with about half the other semifinalists. The U.S.-based teams of MLS have 0 champions, 2 finalists, 5 semifinalists. Canada has 0-2-2.

Is MLS getting blown out? Not per se, but it's clearly not winning matches to advance when given the shot to do so.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Since the start of the Champions League format in 2008, Liga MX has all of the champions and 8 of the 12 finalists, along with about half the other semifinalists. The U.S.-based teams of MLS have 0 champions, 2 finalists, 5 semifinalists. Canada has 0-2-2.

Is MLS getting blown out? Not per se, but it's clearly not winning matches to advance when given the shot to do so.

Some of it is mental and getting over the hump MLS teams have been in position in deciding games but imploded in such fashion when giving the chance to drive the knife in and finish the Liga MX teams off. MLS teams in this tournament have been mentally weak and utimately always manage to fold and find ways to lose when faced with adversity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->