MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I thought MLS was all about getting away from football stadiums and into soccer specific? Can't see them happy about that even if it wasn't working outside the city I don't think it'll be any better at soldier field.

Also this new Miami team is already looking like a bad idea with the stadium not even in Miami and now the issue over the name Inter. I can't see this working out too well just like the last time in Miami.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Huge game tonight for Sporting KC away to Monterrey in the first leg of the Concacaf 1/2, I think they have a shot, they just destroyed Montreal 7-1, have quality mostly everywhere and have a good coach. Do you think they will do it?

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Huge game tonight for Sporting KC away to Monterrey in the first leg of the Concacaf 1/2, I think they have a shot, they just destroyed Montreal 7-1, have quality mostly everywhere and have a good coach. Do you think they will do it?

I see a 2-0 Monterrey win. SKC takes them 2-1 at home, but the away goal spurns them.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
0-5. Now this is something else. From 7-1 to 0-5 it's laughing stock bad. Tough to explain such a scoreline.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
The gap is still large enough where MLS teams are prone to getting it handed to them in Mexico. Loosen up the purse strings, Garber! Spots 1-4 on an MLS roster are fine compared to Liga MX. Spots 5-18 are miles behind.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sporting has a lot of injuries right now, watching them it looks like the starting 11 looks a little overworked in some games. MLS always has this issue.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The gap is still large enough where MLS teams are prone to getting it handed to them in Mexico. Loosen up the purse strings, Garber! Spots 1-4 on an MLS roster are fine compared to Liga MX. Spots 5-18 are miles behind.

Yeah, MLS teams can't win when the bench players get paid what they are paid. You need quality to rotate in when you try to compete in both MLS and champions league.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah, MLS teams can't win when the bench players get paid what they are paid. You need quality to rotate in when you try to compete in both MLS and champions league.
Sporting played Saturday afternoon at home and the away game was Thursday night. At the "start" of the season we really can't use this excuse. They destroyed us 7-1 on saturday, they sure looked good then, tough to understand how they can get hammered so easily last night. Atlanta also. We are talking about top MLS clubs not mediocre teams.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sporting played Saturday afternoon at home and the away game was Thursday night. At the "start" of the season we really can't use this excuse. They destroyed us 7-1 on saturday, they sure looked good then, tough to understand how they can get hammered so easily last night. Atlanta also. We are talking about top MLS clubs not mediocre teams.
Montreal didn't have Piatti, that's a huge difference maker in that game. I'm not calling it an excuse, and the Mexican clubs are better. My point is simply this, Sporting has had inconsistencies in MLS play and champions league due to the players not being used to this type of schedule, and then injuries on top of that. It's context of why the MLS in general typically doesn't do well in the competition.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
But this time they had 5 days between games which is better than the usual 3-4 days. We were missing Piatti on saturday but we could have conceeded 10 goals it was that bad.

What key guys were they missing last night?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
But this time they had 5 days between games which is better than the usual 3-4 days. We were missing Piatti on saturday but we could have conceeded 10 goals it was that bad.

What key guys were they missing last night?
Monterrey is just simply a better team, proven by what they did against Atlanta and Sporting. Sporting themselves have had inconsistencies this season due to not being able to rotate like they would prefer. They have been inconsistent all year, it's not like they've been dominating teams like they did against Montreal or that they are even playing to last season's standard. Fatigue isn't just x amount of games in a week or 10 days, it's about the minutes and travel over a longer duration too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I see. Atlanta was even worst but had a new coach but overall for the "casual" observer it's not looking good for MLS. In 2019 for MLS to still not have won it and really the worst part is those hammerings it's really tough to take,

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I see. Atlanta was even worst but had a new coach but overall for the "casual" observer it's not looking good for MLS. In 2019 for MLS to still not have won it and really the worst part is those hammerings it's really tough to take,
Yeah, with the way the MLS is structured, it's very hard to have quality depth due to teams not being able to really invest much in depth players, and when schedules are included the Mexican teams are closer to mid-season form, while the MLS is just getting started. It's why I don't really care about the competition because it's just very unlikely that a MLS club wins it. I'm not sure the casual fans even know the tournament exists though.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Most people know for sure, yeah your league is getting better but you can't even beat the Mexicans... That's all you hear from casual fans. Look at the comments on the official MLS website, people are not happy there either.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I thought MLS was all about getting away from football stadiums and into soccer specific? Can't see them happy about that even if it wasn't working outside the city I don't think it'll be any better at soldier field.

Also this new Miami team is already looking like a bad idea with the stadium not even in Miami and now the issue over the name Inter. I can't see this working out too well just like the last time in Miami.

that's what i was thinking. unless soldier field is just a temporary venue. although isn't their stadium fairly new?

and chicago city FC would be an awful name. i don't understand the need to try and mimic euro team names

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Chicago "City" AND "FC" makes it even worst, absolutely terrible. MLS has lost control over stadiums and quality grass field. Now you still see football stadiums, a lot of synthetic fields and even a small baseball stadium...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Most people know for sure, yeah your league is getting better but you can't even beat the Mexicans... That's all you hear from casual fans. Look at the comments on the official MLS website, people are not happy there either.
Most? The die-hards know about the tournament, but I know plenty of SKC fans that don't know about it because they are casual fans that like going to games for the experience, but don't really invest much time in it. Mexico has a better league, simple as that. They are also setup better to succeed in it, and if the MLS seriously wants to compete in it, then they have to make some changes, it's just not a high priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad