MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Right, nothing wrong to be against Nazis or Communists. Now some of the people using the flag today aren't really against Communists, some are either Communists or sympathetic to them. But, that's not really the issue here.

MLS is just making a blanket statement of nothing political. I'm fine with that, knowing that there will be good/positive political messages that won't be allowed either. They are just trying to minimize issues and keep the focus on the game.

Hell, the Betsy Ross flag is considered a hate symbol by some now and is banned at places. Probably better for places just to say no political flags at all.
Okay, thanks for your explanation. Politics should not be in sports. We have a lot of this here in Germany. Left wing and right wing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Okay, thanks for your explanation. Politics should not be in sports. We have a lot of this here in Germany. Left wing and right wing.
Yeah, I think it's one of those situations where they have good intentions, but this is one of weird consequences of it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Promotion/relegation isn't what makes the Euro leagues great. It's just the only thing the bottom clubs have to keep things exciting. In NA sports, every team has a chance at winning the league at some point. That makes a better league IMO.
I suspect that said parity is also a large part of why over here we put more emphasis on postseason tournaments rather than best regular season record, but that's more of a prejudicial guess on my part rather than a reasoned debate point. ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I always appreciate it when someone comes out and insists MLS needs pro/rel; it's a quick and easy way for me to readily identify folks who don't actually bother to study the problem and instead just insist on Blind Eurosnobbery.

That’s a good one.

Can you show me where I’ve made comments that would indicate this type of viewpoint?

I made a true comment about the nature of the league. Until the owners of teams like Houston, New England, Chicago are going to be forced to care about the teams they own and there’s some pressure on them, MLS is going to be bogged down by these teams. These aren’t even poor owners without money to spend and improve their teams. They just don’t care to do so in the way that Atlanta, Seattle, LAFC, LAG do. Saying that doesn’t put me into a category of MLS haters.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there will never be promotion/relegation in MLS

what the league should do is stop expanding so fast. let the new teams get their foot through the door first before adding 3 more teams

Reactions: Pouchkine

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That’s a good one.

Can you show me where I’ve made comments that would indicate this type of viewpoint?
You insisted on pro/rel. That's a simplistic blind Eurocentric approach no matter how one spins it.

I made a true comment about the nature of the league. Until the owners of teams like Houston, New England, Chicago are going to be forced to care about the teams they own and there’s some pressure on them, MLS is going to be bogged down by these teams. These aren’t even poor owners without money to spend and improve their teams. They just don’t care to do so in the way that Atlanta, Seattle, LAFC, LAG do. Saying that doesn’t put me into a category of MLS haters.
True enough - BUT that doesn't automatically mean pro/rel is the solution, or even a solution at all. Presuming that that's the way to fix it because of an assumption that this problem doesn't exist in Europe (itself a highly dubious position; cheapskate owners are universal) thanks to pro/rel just suggests a lack of in-depth research. And that's before we get into all the problems and complications that attempting to implement pro/rel here would prompt (thus making the cure - assuming it even is a cure! - worse than the disease).

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ

I know its few weeks old but just saw it today, they deserve it based off the already established fan base and a new stadium in the works

But for the neutral fan its another "meh" team in the MLS which won't drive TV numbers up along with the recent teams like Minnesota, Cincy and I doubt Nashville, Austin and even St. Louis will bring much nationally

Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know its few weeks old but just saw it today, they deserve it based off the already established fan base and a new stadium in the works

But for the neutral fan its another "meh" team in the MLS which won't drive TV numbers up along with the recent teams like Minnesota, Cincy and I doubt Nashville, Austin and even St. Louis will bring much nationally
I think Sac is a much better option to drive ratings up. I see them building a good team with young players. Living in Sac, they got a FANTASTIC youth soccer set up here and Sac Republic can partner with some of these programs then wow.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Strong result for RBNY last night. Perhaps this team is finding a little bit of a groove with these last two results going into a very big home game against DC on Sunday. Getting a home playoff game will be huge!

Reactions: sabremike

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Shiny!

Crew unveils detailed renderings of Arena District stadium - Sports - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Groundbreaking is Oct. 10. Two days after that is the one-year anniversary of the announcement of the Haslam/Dr. Pete purchase negotiations. One week after that is the two-year anniversary of Precourt announcing that he wanted to take the team to Austin (and one month after that, PSV claimed that there were no options made available to him for a downtown stadium and that it couldn't happen. To be fair, he was partially right - there were no options available to him.)

Reactions: sabremike

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hate to say this because I love him as a person but if Seattle doesn’t make it to at least the western conference final, Brian Schmetzer should be let go. I mean look at that roster. It might not have the top end talent that LAFC has (really just Vela and maybe Rossi) but after that Seattle has the next best 3-5 players. They should be battling with LAFC for 1st. They play way too defensively and static under him.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean yes and no. I do agree with his point that in order to get to the top level, they need to play top teams.
In principle, yes. In practice, when it's Klinsmann saying it, it amounts to basically abandoning any hope of domestic development ever - the old "it's not good enough now, therefore it can never be good enough ever" approach.

The solution to local problems like that isn't "it's doomed; get out and never look back", it's "it's bad; work hard and bring in outside help where you can." (And when you do bring in outside help to, say, coach your national team, make sure it's not the kind that holds the "it's doomed" position and therefore actively sabotages any and all attempts to improve things locally. Seriously, he can go f*** himself.)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I certainly don't think much of Klinnsman as a coach, but he is a visionary. The problem is that he had no clue on how to properly implement ideas beyond saying go to Europe. I like that he challenged US soccer at times, but it got to a point where he thought only he knew everything and he was the only one who could do it

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
**** off Galaxy. 2 weeks in a row blowing conceding late. The team is basically Ibra, Pavon, Dos Santos and friends right now. Won't go far in the playoffs with these performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad