MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Meanwhile, in other news about expansion and not relocation despite best efforts, the groundbreaking at McKalla Place took place today. And during that ceremony...

...Precourt helpfully confirmed that yes, indeed, there was a literal honest-to-G-d conspiracy to sabotage the Crew all along.

I am so glad he's out of here.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The Galaxy didn't deserve to win tonight, but they didn't deserve to lose. I'm not exaggerating when I say this, the last 15 minutes is among the worst officiating I have ever seen in this sport. Absolutely shambolic to have this kind of officiating in the middle of this playoff race

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
In your opinion, would soccer specific stadium in a suburb with direct access to L or Metra be an option?

People who live in the city aren't going to take Metra out to the suburbs for a game. For the majority of people, you have to take the L or bus into downtown to get it, so it becomes a long and expensive commute.

There's only 4 or 5 suburbs that the L touches, and those sort of still feel like the city. There was actually some rumors of them playing a few games in Evanston at Northwestern when Soldier Field has conflicts.

The city wants to put the new SSS at the old Michael Reese Hospital site, a little under 2 miles south of Soldier Field at 31st & the lakefront. But the L doesn't go near that either, so who knows if it's a good idea.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
People who live in the city aren't going to take Metra out to the suburbs for a game. For the majority of people, you have to take the L or bus into downtown to get it, so it becomes a long and expensive commute.

There's only 4 or 5 suburbs that the L touches, and those sort of still feel like the city. There was actually some rumors of them playing a few games in Evanston at Northwestern when Soldier Field has conflicts.

The city wants to put the new SSS at the old Michael Reese Hospital site, a little under 2 miles south of Soldier Field at 31st & the lakefront. But the L doesn't go near that either, so who knows if it's a good idea.
Looking at the map, there is Metra Electric line that goes nearby there. The closest station looks walkable but is pretty distant. Maybe they can build a new station?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What do you think, when will MLS get to the level of 2nd tier European championships (Russia, Portugal, Netherlands, Turkey and like)?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I've been watching some bits of MLS football this season. There's a lot of exposure over here with Frank de Boer's Atalanta and a bunch of other Dutch and former Eredivisie players. I have to say I am at times pleasantly surprised about the talent walking around. Teams usually play an offensive brand of football, which is attractive, but the lack of tactics, defense and overall depth is making it inferior to any of those aforementioned leagues, who all have top teams able to make noise in the CL. I hear about expansion, but the league is already too big at 24 teams. The league is slowly beginning to form as an inbetween step for South and Central American talents, but overall it's still a league that attracts older players in their twilight years, or players who failed in Europe, rather than real young talent. Those second tier European leagues all sprout out massive talents on a yearly base.

I think the gap is still pretty big, but it's closing.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It would help if MLS teams could finally start producing quality young players.

With 24 teams and soon 28-30 teams it will be nearly impossible to compare MLS to most European Leagues because in Europe there's a big hierarchy with 2-3-4-5 clubs dominating in almost each league.

Do you compare your average MLS team to Zenit Ajax Porto or usual midtable or relegation battling teams?

Still I watch some Russian League games for free on youtube and even "weaker" teams play at a much higher level and the refereeing is so much better also.

Last night I watch some part of SKC-Galaxy it was fun but there was tons of easy turnovers and comical defending while saturday night Montreal-Cincinnati was USL reserves bad, unwatchable.

Reactions: Ajacied

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The gap is the MLS rules. MLS would be a top 10 league in the world if the owners could spend freely and there was promotion/relegation.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
MLS still has a minimum salary around 50k a year. They have to up that before they start talking about spending more on the stars.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The gap is the MLS rules. MLS would be a top 10 league in the world if the owners could spend freely and there was promotion/relegation.
I always appreciate it when someone comes out and insists MLS needs pro/rel; it's a quick and easy way for me to readily identify folks who don't actually bother to study the problem and instead just insist on Blind Eurosnobbery.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Promotion/relegation isn't what makes the Euro leagues great. It's just the only thing the bottom clubs have to keep things exciting. In NA sports, every team has a chance at winning the league at some point. That makes a better league IMO.

Reactions: Viqsi

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I understand that MLS is just trying to remove anything political to not cause issues. Better ways to go about it, but I at least understand the motivation.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I understand that MLS is just trying to remove anything political to not cause issues. Better ways to go about it, but I at least understand the motivation.
They (SPD in Germany) used it in 1931. Nobody here (in Germany) knows the meaning of 3 arrows. It doesn't even exist a german version on wikipedia. And I'm sure Portland fans don't know the meaning. It's nothing wrong being against being against nazis or comunists.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They (SPD in Germany) used it in 1931. Nobody here (in Germany) knows the meaning of 3 arrows. It doesn't even exist a german version on wikipedia. And I'm sure Portland fans don't know the meaning. It's nothing wrong being against being against nazis or comunists.
Right, nothing wrong to be against Nazis or Communists. Now some of the people using the flag today aren't really against Communists, some are either Communists or sympathetic to them. But, that's not really the issue here.

MLS is just making a blanket statement of nothing political. I'm fine with that, knowing that there will be good/positive political messages that won't be allowed either. They are just trying to minimize issues and keep the focus on the game.

Hell, the Betsy Ross flag is considered a hate symbol by some now and is banned at places. Probably better for places just to say no political flags at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad