MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yea I doubt St Louis getting a team would block Sacramento from getting one. If they don’t get one MLS was never really interested to begin with.
It wasn't that long ago that the league pretty much made it clear that it was down to St. Louis and Sacramento, but the next team that gets added would be the other city.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would they add another team in California? Put one in Phoenix in you need another Western conference one. To me Texas with Austin coming should be tapped out and California should be with Sacramento not getting a team. I don't see any reason why any state should have even 3 teams let alone 4. Most stadiums are 20k, you don't need to be in the most populated states to fill a stadium. All this expansion is just watering down the league even more.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Why would they add another team in California? Put one in Phoenix in you need another Western conference one. To me Texas with Austin coming should be tapped out and California should be with Sacramento not getting a team. I don't see any reason why any state should have even 3 teams let alone 4. Most stadiums are 20k, you don't need to be in the most populated states to fill a stadium. All this expansion is just watering down the league even more.
You do realize the concept of state is arbitrary right?

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah why does the EPL only have 20 teams? Explain this to me the richest league in the world knows that 20 teams is enough to protect the quality and MLS wants to expand non stop even doing so with teams who have no soccer stadiums and no real grass. This year I've seen to many mediocre games in front of empty stadiums and fake grass.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah why does the EPL only have 20 teams? Explain this to me the richest league in the world knows that 20 teams is enough to protect the quality and MLS wants to expand non stop even doing so with teams who have no soccer stadiums and no real grass. This year I've seen to many mediocre games in front of empty stadiums and fake grass.
Because England basically has the population of California and Pennsylvania. The United States can support a bigger league, it's just about getting to a point where South American players view it as a more advantageous route towards Europe. No reason the MLS can't act as a feeder league to Europe. Should be able to pay more than the South American leagues and can offer a higher quality of life.

If Europe created a Super League with land mass and population comparable to the US, there would be much more than 20 teams.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why does it matter about state? In Sac everyone goes to Sac Republic games not Earthquakes.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
STL, Sacramento, Phoenix, and i'd say Vegas would be after them. that'd put them at 31 teams

damn, i remember when MLS was 10-12 teams who played in massive football stadiums with fans only sitting in the lower bowls. crazy how much the league has grown

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

I would say they have more, since the championship, league 1, league 2 etc are all eligible for the EPL

USL etc are not eligible for MLS

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I would say they have more, since the championship, league 1, league 2 etc are all eligible for the EPL

I think eventually there will be relegation/promotion. Just need to make the league more attractive.

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

There's only 20 at any given time, and they're the ones getting the moneys, so I wouldn't say they have more. I suppose one could try including those teams presently receiving parachute payments if one wanted to be really picky, but I don't really know that system all that well (yes, I'm one of those American soccer fans that doesn't see the appeal of pro/rel; maybe it has something to do with following another Have/Have Not oriented league in the form of NCAA football).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There's only 20 at any given time, and they're the ones getting the moneys, so I wouldn't say they have more. I suppose one could try including those teams presently receiving parachute payments if one wanted to be really picky, but I don't really know that system all that well (yes, I'm one of those American soccer fans that doesn't see the appeal of pro/rel; maybe it has something to do with following another Have/Have Not oriented league in the form of NCAA football).
Pro/rel is good for the more neutral fans and then fans of clubs that wouldn't make the top 20/30 clubs that would be in the top tier permanently. I'm not sure why the owners or players would ever want that in a CBA negotiation, it wouldn't benefit either party, and definitely hurts the owners.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think eventually there will be relegation/promotion. Just need to make the league more attractive.

Agree there...I have long said MLS will get to 40 and do pro/rel themselves then continue bleeding USL teams in until there are 3 tiers

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Zero chance seems extreme. None of us know for sure.
You would be asking the MLS owners to accept the possibility of losing a ton of money. I don't even know why the players would advocate it either. It only benefits people not associated with the MLS.

It's the same issue with NFL players wanting to get rid of the Franchise Tag without giving up anything in return. There is no incentive for the owners to do it, and in this case, no incentive for the players either.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Relegation isn't realistic in North America. That said, there's no reason MLS shouldn't have stopped at 24 and there's no reason they shouldn't stop at 28 except that they think they need to have as many teams as the NHL and NBA. Focusing on allowing the teams that have established themselves and allowing them to spend and improve their quality would go a lot further towards becoming a better league than more expansion.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Agree there...I have long said MLS will get to 40 and do pro/rel themselves then continue bleeding USL teams in until there are 3 tiers

Yeah the only way I see it happening in MLS if they expand to something crazy like 40+ teams but even then I won’t get my hopes up because “MLS2” will still appear minor league and too much risk for these owners

I do see pro/rel coming to the USL though in the relative near future once the lower levels get established

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad