MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Relegation isn't realistic in North America. That said, there's no reason MLS shouldn't have stopped at 24 and there's no reason they shouldn't stop at 28 except that they think they need to have as many teams as the NHL and NBA. Focusing on allowing the teams that have established themselves and allowing them to spend and improve their quality would go a lot further towards becoming a better league than more expansion.
They only think short terms. They want the expansion money in their pocket now.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Another ****ing own goal costs us more points. Frustrating game getting a red card 5 minutes in and still playing well enough to get the win and then not seeing it out.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Another ****ing own goal costs us more points. Frustrating game getting a red card 5 minutes in and still playing well enough to get the win and then not seeing it out.

and of course its skjelvik being in the wrong place at the wrong time. every game i watch he just looks completely lost out there

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
i wouldn't blame bingham. any goalie would've come out to try and play that ball

especially knowing skjelvik was beaten on D for the millionth time
Agreed any goalie would have tried but they wouldn’t have done that crazy diving header when he could have stayed a yard back and caught the ball safely.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Agreed any goalie would have tried but they wouldn’t have done that crazy diving header when he could have stayed a yard back and caught the ball safely.
it would've worked

skjelvik just happened to be in the worst possible place and the ball hit him in the head. as fluky as it gets

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah the only way I see it happening in MLS if they expand to something crazy like 40+ teams but even then I won’t get my hopes up because “MLS2” will still appear minor league and too much risk for these owners

I do see pro/rel coming to the USL though in the relative near future once the lower levels get established

I think MLS would be far more likely to essentially split the two conferences into separate leagues and have a super cup at the end of the season to be MLS “champions”. It wouldn’t really be that much of a change, you’d just eliminated inter conference games during the regular season. You could still have a combined all-star game or something where a European squad comes over to play against them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What stupid Euro or South American team name will St. Louis have? An Italian influence would actually make sense with The Hill and the 1950 team.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
MLS expanding this fast will only hurt the league

give the newer teams time to set a foundation before expanding more. not to mention the league is just getting more and more watered down talent wise. that's now 4 more teams that will be added by 2022

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

give the newer teams time to set a foundation before expanding more. not to mention the league is just getting more and more watered down talent wise. that's now 4 more teams that will be added by 2022
If new teams come in and bring in talent like Atlanta and LAFC have, then it won't be an issue. If they try to rely on local and American players, then it'll be a problem.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

I disagree with the talent being watered down part, MLS is already in that 2nd/3rd tier of leagues and staying small isn't going necessarily improve the talent level.

Like, if you have a bell curve of all the soccer players out there ranked by talent, EPL, La Liga, Series A, Bundesliga, etc gets those elite players on the tail of the curve. MLS is pulling players from the meatier center of the bell where more players are closer in skill level. I don't think adding players from MX or 2nd tier Euro leagues is gonna water down the talent in any significant way.

Reactions: Viqsi

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If new teams come in and bring in talent like Atlanta and LAFC have, then it won't be an issue. If they try to rely on local and American players, then it'll be a problem.
I dunno, I wouldn't hate making Josh Sargent our big signing. Ibisevic is probably too old by then. Mark Pais could do a spell as keeper. Will Bruin is solid MLS talent. Tim Ream would be older by then, but still able to play. There's some decent STL talent out there

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I dunno, I wouldn't hate making Josh Sargent our big signing
True, not saying you can't have a team led by local or American stars, but for the league, it just needs the most talent it can get. For Sargent, I hope he stays in Europe, but comes back after he's had a good career over there.

Reactions: bluesfan94

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I dunno, I wouldn't hate making Josh Sargent our big signing. Ibisevic is probably too old by then. Mark Pais could do a spell as keeper. Will Bruin is solid MLS talent. Tim Ream would be older by then, but still able to play. There's some decent STL talent out there
If not him, they definitely need to get a Bosnian or two.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Soccer is one sport where watering down talent isn't really an issue.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->