Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Any Bruin player that behaved like them people would be killing them for it

Is it really a straight comparison though?

The behavior/celebrations across association football are all over the top. Not trying to argue whether or not it’s “right”...simply saying that the USWNT receiving so much attention and criticism for it is sketchy.

Sure, if you compare it to hockey, it appears reprehensible. But for better or worse, it’s sort of par for the course for this sport.

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
Stayed up to watch it.

He is just the worst. The. Worst.

How many big games can he be the difference for the opponent before they stop playing him?

There is still wayyyyyy too much of an influence of MLS on the National Team. It would be like sending players from the Red Claws to the Olympics, and for me, Bradley is the mascot for that neglect.

If the US wants to compete at a high level internationally, I'd argue that no more than 2-3 starters should be MLS based, none of which should be over the age of 20. Last night we had Bradley, Altidore, Arriola, Morris, and Long

MLS is expanding to 30! teams. Which is ridiculous for the level of American talent in a 5th rate salary capped league. It's ridiculously watered down and the national team players who do play in that league often find that mistakes that get quickly punished at the international level aren't as harmful in MLS and they develop poor habits.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
There is still wayyyyyy too much of an influence of MLS on the National Team. It would be like sending players from the Red Claws to the Olympics, and for me, Bradley is the mascot for that neglect.

If the US wants to compete at a high level internationally, I'd argue that no more than 2-3 starters should be MLS based, none of which should be over the age of 20. Last night we had Bradley, Altidore, Arriola, Morris, and Long

MLS is expanding to 30! teams. Which is ridiculous for the level of American talent in a 5th rate salary capped league. It's ridiculously watered down and the national team players who do play in that league often find that mistakes that get quickly punished at the international level aren't as harmful in MLS and they develop poor habits.

Everybody from that disaster in Trinidad should never wear that jersey again except for Pulisic. There was no point watching last night when Bradley and Altidore were named in the lineup.

What are they trying to accomplish? Those guys should be gone. They’re not playing in the next World Cup - if we even qualify. We have more than enough young players to put a team together and they still would have been in the finals of this tournament.

What, we couldn’t get shutout by Mexico’s B team with Boyd and others in the lineup? When Adams is healthy and this federation gets their head out of their asses and gives Sargent a real opportunity, Bradley and Altidore better be forced into retirement or never selected again, not even for a friendly vs Aruba.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
The reason why guys like Bradley and Altidore are hanging on to USMNT roster spots is because there's a giant gap in US player development. There's about a five or six year stretch when the development system just laid an egg. It failed.

Part of the reason they missed the last World Cup is they didn't have many impact players in the primes of their careers.

The reason for this gap is debatable. I happen to believe a big reason for it is that MLS raised the foreign player limit and the salary cap. When Clint Dempsey joined the Revolution in 2004, he took playing time away from Brian Kamler, a 25-year old kid from St. Louis who played four years of college soccer at Creighton and was probably making $65,000/year. They've got a kid this year named Justin Rennicks, who was on the US U-20 National Team earlier this spring, and he basically can't get on the field because ahead of him in attacking positions are four guys who all make at least $500,000/year, and they're about to add another foreign attacking player in the next day or two.

Guys like Justin Rennicks and Tajon Buchanan with the Revs need to be playing professional soccer. They can't get better if they don't play. Their current team doesn't play them because they've imported players who were playing professional soccer when they were Rennicks' and Buchanan's age.

This is why MLS has stagnated as a feeder system for the USMNT. Because with the notable exception of a few clubs - Dallas, Philadelphia, the Red Bulls, etc., young players don't get the chance to play. Atlanta United is currently ruining the careers of two promising players - Andrew Carleton and George Bello. And I almost can't blame them - Frank de Boer doesn't give a crap about developing teen wonderkids. He's got MLS Cups to try and win now.

The good news is that I think kids are catching on. Take a look at the US roster from the last U-20 World Cup. Very few kids who aren't signed to good/very good European clubs or MLS teams that have a history of giving chances to their academy kids. That's encouraging. And that's also why the USMNT won't miss another World Cup in our lifetimes.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
But also there’s too much emphasis on college soccer and going to college in general. In Europe these guys are professionals and playing at 18 years old. Just starting your pro career at 22 wouldn’t happen because you likely would have been overlooked. That’s The most major part of the problem and it will never change.

That said you’re right the US did have a development gap because they are producing these types of players now.

I’m willing to give them a pass for the Gold Cup because of the injuries to Adams, Brooks, Yedlin and others. But that’s it, these guys all need to go.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
The reason why guys like Bradley and Altidore are hanging on to USMNT roster spots is because there's a giant gap in US player development. There's about a five or six year stretch when the development system just laid an egg. It failed.

Part of the reason they missed the last World Cup is they didn't have many impact players in the primes of their careers.

The reason for this gap is debatable. I happen to believe a big reason for it is that MLS raised the foreign player limit and the salary cap. When Clint Dempsey joined the Revolution in 2004, he took playing time away from Brian Kamler, a 25-year old kid from St. Louis who played four years of college soccer at Creighton and was probably making $65,000/year. They've got a kid this year named Justin Rennicks, who was on the US U-20 National Team earlier this spring, and he basically can't get on the field because ahead of him in attacking positions are four guys who all make at least $500,000/year, and they're about to add another foreign attacking player in the next day or two.

Guys like Justin Rennicks and Tajon Buchanan with the Revs need to be playing professional soccer. They can't get better if they don't play. Their current team doesn't play them because they've imported players who were playing professional soccer when they were Rennicks' and Buchanan's age.

This is why MLS has stagnated as a feeder system for the USMNT. Because with the notable exception of a few clubs - Dallas, Philadelphia, the Red Bulls, etc., young players don't get the chance to play. Atlanta United is currently ruining the careers of two promising players - Andrew Carleton and George Bello. And I almost can't blame them - Frank de Boer doesn't give a crap about developing teen wonderkids. He's got MLS Cups to try and win now.

The good news is that I think kids are catching on. Take a look at the US roster from the last U-20 World Cup. Very few kids who aren't signed to good/very good European clubs or MLS teams that have a history of giving chances to their academy kids. That's encouraging. And that's also why the USMNT won't miss another World Cup in our lifetimes.
There was quite a few players who refused overseas moves cause they were getting good money from MLS and they didn't have to fight for playing time,our Nation team suffered because of it.

I was out in San Diego for US Soccer's DA Summer event 2 weeks ago,interesting comparison between the Boys and girls teams, for the most part and depending on who's playing the girls fields are ringed with College Coach's with a few assorted National team scouts while the boys especially in the bigger games have pro scouts from all over the world and very few Colleges watching.
A lot of good players are coming up,MLS unfortunately will grab their share of them but a few will end up in Europe and Mexico.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Is it really a straight comparison though?

The behavior/celebrations across association football are all over the top. Not trying to argue whether or not it’s “right”...simply saying that the USWNT receiving so much attention and criticism for it is sketchy.

Sure, if you compare it to hockey, it appears reprehensible. But for better or worse, it’s sort of par for the course for this sport.

am I in a time warp where we didnt just spend 2/3 of the season hearing the Canes get trashed, called bush league, etc by fans and media members over the Storm Surge?

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
Sort of my point. It’s not the normal culture in hockey, but it is in soccer.

And yeah, I get this is a hockey forum and all....but I'm not sure it's soccer that has the problem here.

I'd also argue that celebration "culture" is very much a thing among young hockey players and that's a good thing for the sport. This idea that everyone had everything figured out in the 1950's is sort of ludicrous and regressive.

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
It will never, ever, ever happen. But MLS should really be 2 20 team leagues with promotion/relegation and no salary cap. That way teams that have talented players who need development/playing time can be loaned out, etc.

But MLS designed itself like the other 4 major sports even though the professional environment in the sport is nothing like the others.

Reactions: GabeTravels

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta United is currently ruining the careers of two promising players - Andrew Carleton and George Bello. And I almost can't blame them - Frank de Boer doesn't give a crap about developing teen wonderkids. He's got MLS Cups to try and win now.

To be fair, that's not why those two players are not playing. Carleton, a hometown product, has shown nothing but a stunning lack of maturity, both for Tata (ignoring curfew the night before the MLS Cup, leading to his being banned from the game and championship parade), and now for FdB (forgetting his passport when the team was set to travel to Toronto recently and being left behind at the airport, forcing the team to dress one fewer player during the game). The quality of his play is secondary to the baggage he's created.

Bello's been hurt all season, but is close to being able to finally play. We'll see what happens when we get to that point. FdB is not against playing kids (see Barco, Vazquez, and Miles Robinson (quietly the best centerback in MLS)).

Reactions: TrashPanda

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Ideally for the 2022 World Cup We will like up with something like this:

Sargent - Weah - Boyd

Pulisic - Adams - McKennie

LB - Brooks - Miazga - Yedlin

Steffen

Or something similar. The LB spot is interesting to me

I’m interested in seeing how Duane Holmes, Weah, Sargent and Adams develop

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
So, Gustavo Bou made his debut for the Revolution tonight, and as far as debut goals go, this one wasn't bad.

Revs now unbeaten in their last nine games after firing Brad Friedel -- they dominated the Vancouver Whitecaps by a score of 4-0 tonight at Gillette.

Absolute beauty.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Newcomer Gustavo Bou, Cristian Penilla, Carles Gil, and Diego Fagundez all scored as the Revs ran their unbeaten streak to 11 last night with a 4-1 thrashing of Orlando City at Gillette Stadium.

It was an important win because the playoff race in the Eastern Conference is extremely tight. Seven teams make the playoffs, and as of the moment, there are only four points separating 2nd place from 8th place.

Enormous month of games on the horizon for the club, starting next Saturday night at home against league-leading LAFC, who features MVP front-runner Carlos Vela, as well as former Revs star Lee Nguyen, who will make his return to Foxboro for the first time since his controversial hold out and subsequent trade in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad