Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
There's a sense in MLS circles that the Revs are kind of this year's Wild Card in the Eastern Conference in that they could finish anywhere. I think they'll either be pretty darn good, or they'll be a dumpster fire. So much depends on the defensive spine, which features four new players - Cropper, Angoua, Delamea, and Kouassi.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — The Revolution haven’t had much luck in season openers over the years, and that didn’t change Saturday.

New England fell, 1-0, to the Colorado Rapids on an unseasonably warm day at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, with former Boston University striker Dominique Badji scoring in the 52nd minute.

The Revolution opened on the road for the 21st time in 22 seasons, and fell to 4-12-5 in those matches.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/s...ason-opener/THweegsCsXbD7T2ethAYbM/story.html

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
After viewing the scenes in Atlanta and Orlando yesterday, I lament the fact that MLS in New England is pretty much stuck in the 90's.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gal...bulls-mls-first-game-photos-atmopshere-030517

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gallery/orlando-city-pride-new-stadium-photo-gallery-mls-nwsl-022717

I don't know what to tell you, the Revs are never getting a Stadium in Boston, if the Red Sox and Patriots couldn't do it there is no way the Revolution could.
The Bruins and Celtics only got to build (with their own money) the New Garden after the Old Garden was beyond salvageable, with intermittent power and no AC it was not suitable for Hockey in April or May.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't know what to tell you, the Revs are never getting a Stadium in Boston, if the Red Sox and Patriots couldn't do it there is no way the Revolution could.
The Bruins and Celtics only got to build (with their own money) the New Garden after the Old Garden was beyond salvageable, with intermittent power and no AC it was not suitable for Hockey in April or May.

I was really hoping they could work something out with UMass Boston....that location would be near perfect.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
I was really hoping they could work something out with UMass Boston....that location would be near perfect.

That might happen if UMass-Boston decides to go DI, otherwise they probably don't want a stadium.
and if they do go DI I don't see the difference between having to play with the Patriots vs the UMB Soccer, Lacrosse and Field Hockey teams, and considering playing at Gillette costs the Revolution precisely nothing I can't see Kraft wanting to pay rent in Dorchester.

because so many MLS games are on weekends I don't even know if moving would help attendance, I've heard some people rather like tailgating in Foxboro, granted you lose the Merrimack Valley, you gain Providence by playing SW of Boston.
and on top of that there is the craziness of trying to build anything in Boston, when was the South Station Tower first proposed? 1984? Remember the Pats are in Foxboro after they failed to get a stadium in Boston after bouncing around between Harvard Stadium, Fenway and Alumni Stadium in the 60s.

They're best bet is to get one of those towns around Boston (Everett, Revere, Somerville) that might want something to put them on the map, and build there.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I still think something could be worked out with UMass Boston. It's all posturing right now.

What I have heard is UMass-Boston is playing possum until they know for sure what will happen with the Globe property that John Henry sold last year.

Truth is Kraft is running out of options. Assembly Square is no longer viable, Wonderland apparently has been sold as has Suffolk Downs. Land around Boston is not getting cheaper.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
What I have heard is UMass-Boston is playing possum until they know for sure what will happen with the Globe property that John Henry sold last year.
Interesting. What's the reason for playing possum?

Truth is Kraft is running out of options. Assembly Square is no longer viable, Wonderland apparently has been sold as has Suffolk Downs. Land around Boston is not getting cheaper.
Agreed. I've always thought that unless they find a really good location in Boston, that renovating Gillette to make it more "soccer friendly" was always a possibility.

Still, the political climate in Boston is much different that it was under Menino. I think Walsh and others would like to see this happen.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting. What's the reason for playing possum?

Agreed. I've always thought that unless they find a really good location in Boston, that renovating Gillette to make it more "soccer friendly" was always a possibility.

Still, the political climate in Boston is much different that it was under Menino. I think Walsh and others would like to see this happen.

UMass feels they never got a legit shot to buy the Globe property. The Globe is out of there this summer as they move downtown.

I always thought Wonderland was the best option as it has subway and parking already in place but......

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
UMass feels they never got a legit shot to buy the Globe property. The Globe is out of there this summer as they move downtown.

I always thought Wonderland was the best option as it has subway and parking already in place but......

Also they kind of sent out a story to trash the Teachers Union (who own part of the property), good luck getting anything done if the unions aren't on your side

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
wind chill prediction of 10, most of New England won't see highs of 20 Saturday, terrier is correct, they've switched it to September 2nd @ 7 pm...

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net

I wouldn't be shocked if Boston declares some sort of weather emergency by the end of the day today for Saturday.

Weather emergency?

For a wind chill of 10 and gusts of 60 mph?

Unless I'm missing something in the forecast I don't see that happening.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Weather emergency?

For a wind chill of 10 and gusts of 60 mph?

Unless I'm missing something in the forecast I don't see that happening.

believe it or not, a wind chill warning can be as dangerous as a blizzard, would u like to be the only one at Gillette tomorrow and see how fast u'd last:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->