Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The league is in fine shape and growing every year. It's the team that is a complete disaster.

If they weren't one of the original 1996 clubs and if Kraft weren't so incredibly powerful, I'm sure the league would've intervened by now. But the Revs are clearly an afterthought that they don't invest in. If they built a soccer-specific stadium around the Boston metro area and had a proactive ownership group, it'd draw tremendously and they could do well. But Kraft doesn't want them to leave his lot in Foxboro and doesn't care enough to get players.

The team is clearly a tax write off for Kraft. Although Garber's big push to make progress in Chicago, NYC, and Boston may cause a change in fortunes. As long as Kraft owns it though, I doubt anything gets done. But that's just me and my pessimism. The Revs are the Buffalo Bills of MLS. They always find a way to disappoint you.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
...and this is why. There was no way the most successful Head Coach in MLS history was gonna take marching orders from Mike friggin' Burns.

HUGE move from the Krafts.

IafratesEmptyNetGoal

Jul 30, 2005
I was watching the game on tv Saturday night, and I could hear the supporters groups spend what seemed like the entire 90 minutes chanting phrases along the lines of "Fire Mike Burns." Keeping him was going to be a PR nightmare if that rang through the stadium and the tv broadcasts week after week.

Reactions: sabremike

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
...and this is why. There was no way the most successful Head Coach in MLS history was gonna take marching orders from Mike friggin' Burns.

HUGE move from the Krafts.

Meh. I've soured on Arena a bit after the absolute disaster that was the 2018 World Cup qualification for the US Men's National team. Still, he's better than most recent manager the Revs have brought in and he has championship credentials.

Reactions: TrashPanda

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
I've never heard of a team with those deep pockets that have taken 10+ years to get a stadium built. If they were committed they would have built something by now.

We have unimaginative branding, a crap soccer stadium, mediocre management, so-so talent, and an owner that doesnt really care. The only plus is that our owners really are very good... if they decide to focus on it.

Makes following them a bit of a chore...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Meh. I've soured on Arena a bit after the absolute disaster that was the 2018 World Cup qualification for the US Men's National team. Still, he's better than most recent manager the Revs have brought in and he has championship credentials.
As a fan of Metro since the very beginning I will tell you this: Metro has been a neverending series of stupid moves, but the absolute dumbest was when Mark DeGrampiere (who was literally a goddamned soda salesman with no soccer knowledge whatsoever) fired Bruce Arena. And remember the team also once fired Bob Bradley as well.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1558936211375.jpg

Awesome!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I've never heard of a team with those deep pockets that have taken 10+ years to get a stadium built. If they were committed they would have built something by now.

We have unimaginative branding, a crap soccer stadium, mediocre management, so-so talent, and an owner that doesnt really care. The only plus is that our owners really are very good... if they decide to focus on it.

Makes following them a bit of a chore...

The Revs have always been Jonathan Kraft's baby and he is not his father.

There is only one place left that makes sense for a soccer/concert venue and that is the site of the old Wonderland dog track.

Just get it done.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Gold Cup is underway, US up 1-0 on Guyana. First big international competition under the new coach, but there's not much competition until the knockout stages. We're on the opposite side from Mexico and Costa Rica, so we wouldn't even have to lay both.

Meanwhile down in South America, Brazil drew Venezuela 0-0 in Copa America. Neymar is out, but still, that's absurd. They're the hosts and still struggling.

Honestly, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should really merge Gold Cup and Copa America, it'd be way better for both regions.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Gold Cup is underway, US up 1-0 on Guyana. First big international competition under the new coach, but there's not much competition until the knockout stages. We're on the opposite side from Mexico and Costa Rica, so we wouldn't even have to lay both.

Meanwhile down in South America, Brazil drew Venezuela 0-0 in Copa America. Neymar is out, but still, that's absurd. They're the hosts and still struggling.

Honestly, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should really merge Gold Cup and Copa America, it'd be way better for both regions.

If they’re going to do that it should be every four years because what the Gold Cup has become is a money grab joke. Teams like Guyana who are ranked in the high 100s is not good to watch.

Re: the US team some of the decisions that Berhalter made are head scratching and discouraging. I understand Brooks, Yedlin and Adams are hurt but Sargent can’t get on the roster to get some run vs Guyana? Makes no sense to me.

Team is way, way too MLS heavy per usual. I won’t be too disappointed in the roster for this second rate tournament, but if it continues in qualifiers next year and the year after then we’ll have issues.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Of the handful of WWC games I've seen this tourney, the Dutch team really caught my eye. They have some top notch talent if you know what I mean.

Reactions: N o o d l e s
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad