Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Crowds of about 20,000 are expected for the San Jose match and a charity contest against Chelsea FC next Wednesday, far smaller numbers than previously projected. Announced attendance for the Montreal game April 24 was 9,422, lowest for a Revolution home match since 2013, and the crowd appeared much smaller.

I brought up the attendance issues last year (numbers have gone down each year for the last 3 years) and was told it was all weather-related and there was essentially "nothing to see here" because they would bounce back at the end of last year. They didn't. And now things have gotten even worse.

Still holding that line?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Crowds of about 20,000 are expected for the San Jose match and a charity contest against Chelsea FC next Wednesday, far smaller numbers than previously projected. Announced attendance for the Montreal game April 24 was 9,422, lowest for a Revolution home match since 2013, and the crowd appeared much smaller.

I brought up the attendance issues last year (numbers have gone down each year for the last 3 years) and was told it was all weather-related and there was essentially "nothing to see here" because they would bounce back at the end of last year. They didn't. And now things have gotten even worse.

Still holding that line?
There was a time when the Revolution fans were considered the best in MLS.... I kid you not

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
There was a time when the Revolution fans were considered the best in MLS.... I kid you not

No doubt. They helped make the league what it is today. Kraft took that support for granted and now one can only assume he uses the team as a big tax writeoff. He really needs to do the right thing and sell the team.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Still holding that line?

A soccer venue for the Revs in or near the city is the biggest pipe dream around here since the megaplex. They're just a convenient date-filler for Gillette and seat filler for Patriot Place. Eventually, they'll get their typical 12-15,000 average crowd for the season.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I don't understand how the Revs keep letting Mike Burns hire lousy coaches. And his job seems perfectly safe. It's cringe-worthy.

A soccer venue for the Revs in or near the city is the biggest pipe dream around here since the megaplex. They're just a convenient date-filler for Gillette and seat filler for Patriot Place. Eventually, they'll get their typical 12-15,000 average crowd for the season.
FWIW, Revs' average attendance the last five years...
  • 2014: 16,681 / 26,441 (Playoffs)
  • 2015: 19,626
  • 2016: 20,185
  • 2017: 19,367
  • 2018: 18,347
I honestly think the Krafts would like to build a new stadium for the team. I also think that the bar for the kind of deal they would need to move out of Gillette is incredibly high... probably so high that most municipalities would be wary of making such a deal.

They had their shot with the old Bayside Expo site, and they blew it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
How has this league/team not folded yet? Mind bending.
The league is in fine shape and growing every year. It's the team that is a complete disaster.

If they weren't one of the original 1996 clubs and if Kraft weren't so incredibly powerful, I'm sure the league would've intervened by now. But the Revs are clearly an afterthought that they don't invest in. If they built a soccer-specific stadium around the Boston metro area and had a proactive ownership group, it'd draw tremendously and they could do well. But Kraft doesn't want them to leave his lot in Foxboro and doesn't care enough to get players.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
How has this league/team not folded yet? Mind bending.
You sound like my old local Newspaper Sports guy that eagerly stated the league would fold in 2 years back in 1996 and if I'm a Pats fan be very worried this dope will be running the whole organization when Dad dies

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
The league is in fine shape and growing every year. It's the team that is a complete disaster.

If they weren't one of the original 1996 clubs and if Kraft weren't so incredibly powerful, I'm sure the league would've intervened by now. But the Revs are clearly an afterthought that they don't invest in. If they built a soccer-specific stadium around the Boston metro area and had a proactive ownership group, it'd draw tremendously and they could do well. But Kraft doesn't want them to leave his lot in Foxboro and doesn't care enough to get players.

Good heavens, now even Minnesota United has it's dream stadium, Allianz Field. Wow. Oh well, settling in to watch the last day of the Prem, hope Brighton can make it nervy.

'Scarves Up:' United ready to open Allianz Field

Reactions: dabid

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

It’d be great if someone stepped in and got another team in Boston proper - would be huge and would be a good kick in the ass for the Revs - but slim chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad