Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team II - New York City wins the MLS Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
For what it's worth, the Revs are going to have some work to do this winter.

They need to find a replacement for Tajon Buchanan.

DeJuan Jones signed a contract extension, but there have been rumors linking him to clubs in the Bundesliga.

My guess is that Adam Buksa is going to try to force a move back to Europe.

Matt Turner could very well draw interest overseas, as well.

...and they need to have their ducks in a row quickly, because Champions League games start February 15th.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If they're all good penalties I agree but he was there and in position. Doesn't mean they would have won though. NYCFC was deserving winner.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
For what it's worth, the Revs are going to have some work to do this winter.

They need to find a replacement for Tajon Buchanan.

DeJuan Jones signed a contract extension, but there have been rumors linking him to clubs in the Bundesliga.

My guess is that Adam Buksa is going to try to force a move back to Europe.

Matt Turner could very well draw interest overseas, as well.

...and they need to have their ducks in a row quickly, because Champions League games start February 15th.

And the hits just keep coming because it sounds like Bruce Arena is looking for the nearest exit if his post game press conference is anything to go by.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Excuse making from prominent former players once again. Put a sock in it Twellman. Tonight was a disaster.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It was a very good year regardless of last night

No it wasn't because we didn't win the title. The goal is championship or bust and the team wasn't good enough. It's because the Krafts cheaped out on the roster outside of the Designated Players and Arena was unhappy that the Krafts didn't commit fully to overhauling the team. Now this team is going to get stripped barren as already seen with Tajon Buchanan going to Club Brugge in Belgium. Buksa is probably going to get scooped up by a desperate team on the verge of relegation in the top 5 leagues, that goes double for Carles Gil, and Turner is probably going to draw interest from some smaller European league. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if one our depth players in DeJuan Jones gets an offer from a small European team out of the blue and the Krafts sell him for pocket money and use it to buy a new boat to sail on Martha's Vineyard. Oh and we also could lose Bruce Arena like the way the Patriots lost Bill Parcells back in '96.

The fact of the matter is that this team lives to disappoint you.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
No it wasn't because we didn't win the title. The goal is championship or bust and the team wasn't good enough. It's because the Krafts cheaped out on the roster outside of the Designated Players and Arena was unhappy that the Krafts didn't commit fully to overhauling the team. Now this team is going to get stripped barren as already seen with Tajon Buchanan going to Club Brugge in Belgium. Buksa is probably going to get scooped up by a desperate team on the verge of relegation in the top 5 leagues, that goes double for Carles Gil, and Turner is probably going to draw interest from some smaller European league. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if one our depth players in DeJuan Jones gets an offer from a small European team out of the blue and the Krafts sell him for pocket money and use it to buy a new boat to sail on Martha's Vineyard. Oh and we also could lose Bruce Arena like the way the Patriots lost Bill Parcells back in '96.

The fact of the matter is that this team lives to disappoint you.
Let it all out brother

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Let it all out brother

How else am I supposed to react to this though? This team is stuck in a never ending cycle of sucking to being good for x amount of years but falling short and then blowing it up to fall back down the standings again. It gets tiresome after a while.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
How else am I supposed to react to this though? This team is stuck in a never ending cycle of sucking to being good for x amount of years but falling short and then blowing it up to fall back down the standings again. It gets tiresome after a while.
At least we don't have to worry about relegation

Reactions: EvilDead

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Turned the game on after the B’s and was very surprised to see the game was being decided by penalty kicks. I think playoff games should be decided on the field/pitch. I have a hard time taking the sport seriously when they end postseason games that way.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Turned the game on after the B’s and was very surprised to see the game was being decided by penalty kicks. I think playoff games should be decided on the field/pitch. I have a hard time taking the sport seriously when they end postseason games that way.
Can't play all night Joe

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

They should do a two legged playoff format and have the series decided by goal aggregate with an away goal tie breaker.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
No it wasn't because we didn't win the title. The goal is championship or bust and the team wasn't good enough.
I'd argue that "Playoff Champion or Bust" is a very North American point of view.

What's more meaningful? A trophy won based on a series of single elimination matches, or a trophy won over the course of 34 games played over the course of six months?

There's a reason why the Premier League title is considered far more prestigious than the FA Cup.

It's because the Krafts cheaped out on the roster outside of the Designated Players and Arena was unhappy that the Krafts didn't commit fully to overhauling the team.
I'm not sure there's much evidence to support this.

Now this team is going to get stripped barren as already seen with Tajon Buchanan going to Club Brugge in Belgium. Buksa is probably going to get scooped up by a desperate team on the verge of relegation in the top 5 leagues, that goes double for Carles Gil, and Turner is probably going to draw interest from some smaller European league. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if one our depth players in DeJuan Jones gets an offer from a small European team out of the blue and the Krafts sell him for pocket money and use it to buy a new boat to sail on Martha's Vineyard.
As you said, Buchanan is already gone. Big loss, but the club has money to spend to replace him.

Buksa is under contract for another year, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if he's sold to a club in Europe, and I know there's been some interest among a couple of Premier League clubs. He'd also be a big loss, but if he moves, they should get another nice transfer fee for him.

Carles Gil just signed a contract extension. I'd be shocked if he moves on.

It wouldn't shock me if Matt Turner moves to Europe, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was to a team in Switzerland or Austria. In my mind, he's every bit the goalkeeper Zack Steffen is, and Steffen's good enough to play for a number of clubs in Europe's Top Five Leagues. I think it's likely that he spends another season in New England, and looks to move to Europe after the World Cup.

DeJuan Jones also just signed a contract extension, but he's been linked to some mid-table teams in the Bundesliga. Wouldn't shock me if he moved on, although I think you're underselling him as a "depth player" -- he just finished 5th in MLS Defender of the Year voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad