Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team II - New York City wins the MLS Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
NYCFC winning MLS Cup via two penalty shootouts and a win over a team missing six starters to COVID is why I will always value the Supporters' Shield more.

Except it's not the championship and many teams devalue it as a title nowadays. Especially with the current playoff format and the gimmicky wild card system and other garbage. The fact of the matter is that MLS needs to treat the MLS Cup like how UEFA treats the round of 16 in the Champions League. They need to go back to the two legged aggregate formula with away goal tie breakers while having a 16 team seeding based on a combined league table to make winning the Supporter's Shield more important.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Except it's not the championship and many teams devalue it as a title nowadays. Especially with the current playoff format and the gimmicky wild card system and other garbage. The fact of the matter is that MLS needs to treat the MLS Cup like how UEFA treats the round of 16 in the Champions League. They need to go back to the two legged aggregate formula with away goal tie breakers while having a 16 team seeding based on a combined league table to make winning the Supporter's Shield more important.
Agreeed

Reactions: EvilDead

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Last week I was in England and went and saw my team (Portsmouth) in the FA Cup for the second time, and fourth time overall.

... I've still yet to see them win. They lost to League 2 Harrogate 2-1.

But the experience is always enjoyable. Great seats too:

View attachment 489690

I looked at the third round draw and there is one remaining club I've never heard of: Boreham Wood F.C., who will host AFC Wimbledon.

DFBahyfWsAAmA6r.jpg

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Wimbledon's a club I've always had a soft spot for. With all of Pompey's troubles over the years, I always loved how the Dons have risen from the ashes and are a quite successful League 1 squad.

Wanna make a trip to Plough Lane to see a game, maybe next year.

Reactions: Gator Mike

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Yeah, I don't exactly know how things are going to work themselves out moving forward.

If you go single table, then you probably also have play each team home and away. There's going to be 30 teams in MLS soon, so that would be 58 Regular Season games. Once you factor in international breaks and the off-season, teams would basically be forced to play twice a week, nearly every week, for months. I don't think that's possible.

I don't think promotion/relegation is a viable option for numerous reasons.

If you reduce the number of playoff teams, then that means you increase the number of meaningless late-season games.

Not a lot of easy answers.

blurbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Somerville, MA
Visit site
Wimbledon's a club I've always had a soft spot for. With all of Pompey's troubles over the years, I always loved how the Dons have risen from the ashes and are a quite successful League 1 squad.

Wanna make a trip to Plough Lane to see a game, maybe next year.

That is one of the things you have to love about the promotion/relegation system and how football is done in general in Europe.

For anyone who has a minute, I highly recommend reading up on their history (AFC Wimbledon: One of the Best Comeback Stories in World Football), but you have to remember in other countries the ideas of moving a team to another town let alone state is unheard of.

My good friend was a Wimbledon fan, and was livid when they moved to Milton Keynes and became a supporter of AFC Wimbledon instead.

Reactions: GabeTravels

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
And now it's official...

Bruce is bringing in the players he trusts and knows can win in big moments, a la Bill Parcells. Not that I blame him or deride him for it. Lletget and Gonzalez add a lot to this team and could help in pushing this team over the hump come playoff time and CONCACAF Champions League time.

Reactions: Gator Mike

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad