MLS - 2023 Season

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Red Bulls get an important win over a pretty unmotivated Cincy. With their loss in Chicago that practically ends Miami’s playoff hopes, they pretty much must win out and even then it’s not in their own hands. Btw, 60,000+ at Soldier Field tonight

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Red Bulls get an important win over a pretty unmotivated Cincy. With their loss in Chicago that practically ends Miami’s playoff hopes, they pretty much must win out and even then it’s not in their own hands. Btw, 60,000+ at Soldier Field tonight

Galaxy similar to Miami at the moment. Lost to the Sounders last night on a last second throw-in essentially ending the Galaxy's season. Technically they're not mathematically eliminated, but we have to win out and hope teams ahead of us drop points which is extremely unlikely.

Dug ourselves too deep of a hole to climb out of and injuries to 5 starters killed this team. Appreciate the fight they've had over the past couple of months, but it wasn't enough.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Minnesota sack Adrian Heath who’s been there from the beginning, they are still in the playoff hunt but with two games left out of their control and probably won’t make it

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Houston win the Open Cup, once again Messi wasn’t even in the squad, probably a slightly more serious injury than what Miami wants to report. And naturally with NFL coming back alot of the buzz from neutrals has died down already in combination with him playing so few games recently
Have to admit I hope they shut him down for the season now that they're eliminated. Of course their last 2 games being home and away against Charlotte with Charlotte potentially only needing one win to get into the playoffs might be skewing my opinion there a bit.

Reactions: bluesfan94

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
This is the problem with MLS and bringing over big names. Most of the viewers and attendance today watching a meaningless game even though they try to hype it up as Decision Day where you know, the fate of the season is going to play out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is the problem with MLS and bringing over big names. Most of the viewers and attendance today watching a meaningless game even though they try to hype it up as Decision Day where you know, the fate of the season is going to play out.
Not so meaningless. Charlotte clinched with the win and the rest of the days results so far.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The issue is that there are too many playoff teams and the playoff format sucks. This is fine, it’s a little hokey but it’s not egregious

Reactions: DaveG

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not so meaningless. Charlotte clinched with the win and the rest of the days results so far.
Yeah crazy, good for them getting the lottery ticket in.

The issue is that there are too many playoff teams and the playoff format sucks. This is fine, it’s a little hokey but it’s not egregious
Totally agree, it's trying to create some drama when few people are paying attention.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn't realize the 1st round is a 'best of 3'...wtf, MLS going back to the 90s but I guess its another Apple call for more content/games. However other than the issue of having way too many teams in the playoffs the problem is all the momentum is gone, there will be a freaking international break in the middle of the playoffs, people are locked in on NFL/college football and the NHL/NBA seasons starting

Anyway the play-in games
East: NY Red Bulls vs. Charlotte
West: Sporting KC vs. San Jose Earthquakes

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Fitting result for the Galaxy to end their season. Happy to not have Chicharito and Costa clogging up our DP slots. Time to get better talent to help out Puig.

Regards to the playoffs, I think someone in the East is going to win this year. The Usual suspects in LAFC and Seattle don't look like world beaters and you don't know how a first year expansion team in St. Louis is going to do.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Happy this season is finally over..... what a terrible year in Toronto:

Didn't realize the 1st round is a 'best of 3'...wtf, MLS going back to the 90s but I guess its another
Third different playoff format this decade and the worst one of the lot.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Apple TV all about milking that content. I don't even mind the play-in game idea for the playoffs, but the whole 3 game series thing is ridiculous. Just have it home and away with an away goals component and PKs if it's still tied. It just works.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Apple TV all about milking that content. I don't even mind the play-in game idea for the playoffs, but the whole 3 game series thing is ridiculous. Just have it home and away with an away goals component and PKs if it's still tied. It just works.
The problem is that that doesn't give the higher seed any benefit

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there's zero chance san diego sticks with that badge with how bad it's being shit on by literally everyone

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The problem is that that doesn't give the higher seed any benefit
The higher seed plays a worse team. That’s a benefit.

Best of three does not exist in any other form of soccer on the planet as far as I know. It’s being different either just to be different, or to needlessly Americanize it. It’s dumb.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Would be cool to see NYRB f*** around and win the whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath. They did look deadly last night though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad