MLS 2016 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Good half for Watts, Powers isn't a #10. Should sub Hairston in for Badji.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Excellent work by Montreal today. Ciman was a stud

BWP's miss will probably come back to bite us in the ass, not getting that away goal. Thought a 3-1 win at RBA is conceivable.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Van Damme was excellent again for the Galaxy. All over the field breaking up plays and with some excellent skill leading up to the go ahead goal.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
2 questions.

What can you guys tell me about Axel Sjöberg?

And where would you guys rank MLS compared with other leagues? PL, Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga is better.....are MLS in the same tier as the first leagues in Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland, Belgium, Turkey etc or in the same tier as the first leauges in Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Israel, Greece etc?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
2 questions.

What can you guys tell me about Axel Sjöberg?

And where would you guys rank MLS compared with other leagues? PL, Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga is better.....are MLS in the same tier as the first leagues in Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland, Belgium, Turkey etc or in the same tier as the first leauges in Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Israel, Greece etc?
Don't watch Sjoberg enough to give you a complete scouting report but from what I've seen of him is that he is a big defender that uses his strength and height very well.

Also I would rank MLS in the same tier as Netherlands, Russia, Turkey but the Belgium and Swiss leagues are a tier below.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
The top of the Dutch, Russian and Turkish leagues are far ahead of MLS. Zero chance that MLS clubs could compete with Galatasaray, Zenit, PSV, Fenerbache, CSKA etc. MLS clubs, however, could easily compete with the bottom halves of those leagues. MLS, IMO is also ahead of Scandinavia at this point. Before, moving from MLS to say, Sweden, would been seen as an upgrade. Now it's seen as a lateral move at best and in most cases, a clear step down.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The top of the Dutch, Russian and Turkish leagues are far ahead of MLS. Zero chance that MLS clubs could compete with Galatasaray, Zenit, PSV, Fenerbache, CSKA etc. MLS clubs, however, could easily compete with the bottom halves of those leagues. MLS, IMO is also ahead of Scandinavia at this point. Before, moving from MLS to say, Sweden, would been seen as an upgrade. Now it's seen as a lateral move at best and in most cases, a clear step down.

I think teams like Seattle and LA at their best could compete with the top half. I could see them maybe not finishing top 5 but definitely 5-10.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's really tough to compare because the structure of the leagues are completely different. Everywhere else there's 3-4 big clubs and the rest. In mls the salary cap makes it more a league like nfl-nhl-nba. So the way we can compare European leagues is how their team do in Champions League and Europa. Of course mls don't play those and they don't do well in concacaf champions league either. The best from at least 20 countries in Europe are better than the best mls teams because they can attract better players to play in the European Cups... The real goal of mls should be and probably is to compete with the Mexican league to be the best here or very close. At the moment mls is far from the Mexican league that's the real problem. Another thing that hurts mls is the league format, way too long 9 months+ and the quite useless 34 games regular seasons and then having 12/20 teams in a rushed playoff format. The league format doesn't bring out the competitive edge in players and teams enough. And finally already with 20 teams it's too much, it dilute the product way to much. Finally the league must improce drastically the officiating. At the moment the league does well in attracting people to the stadiums but they are terrible for television because most games don't feel important and the commentators-production etc is subpar.

Do you see mls teams leading 2-0 at home to Arsenal in a competitive game like Razgrad of Bulgaria did yesterday? Do you see mls teams doing what Shakhtar does on a regular basis, what Copenhagen Gent does?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Galaxy with Keane who couldn't start with decent epl teams and DosSantos who couldn't start in La Liga and a couple old guys? I would say the other poster is right, the best mls teams could play with the bottom half of some of those leagues but I don't see them compete against the top half. Rostov who played Atletico Madrid tough for two games are 7th in Russia at the moment.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
How do you think Portland Timbers and Columbus Crew would have looked like this year in European Cups, even Europa...

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I say let's enjoy the league for what it is and hope it can improve still. Toronto-Montreal Seattle-LosAngeles 1/2's could be fun.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Nominations for the awards are up

MVP:
Bradley Wright Philips
David Villa
Sacha Klejstan

Defender of the Year:
Jelle Van Damme
Axel Sjoberg
Matt Hedges

Goalkeeper of the year:
Andre Blake
Tim Howard
Luis Robles

Newcomer of the Year:
Ola Kamara
Nicolas Lodeiro
Jelle Van Damme

Rookie of the Year:
Jack Harrison
Jordan Morris
Keegan Rosenberry

Coach of the Year:
Pablo Mastroeni
Oscar Pareja
Patrick Vieira

Comeback player of the year:
Frank Lampard
Kevin Molino
Chris Pontius

Only real surprise is not having Giovinco nominated for MVP. I'm not a fan of having 2 players from the same team being nominated for MVP

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

MVP:
Bradley Wright Philips
David Villa
Sacha Klejstan

Defender of the Year:
Jelle Van Damme
Axel Sjoberg
Matt Hedges

Goalkeeper of the year:
Andre Blake
Tim Howard
Luis Robles

Newcomer of the Year:
Ola Kamara
Nicolas Lodeiro
Jelle Van Damme

Rookie of the Year:
Jack Harrison
Jordan Morris
Keegan Rosenberry

Coach of the Year:
Pablo Mastroeni
Oscar Pareja
Patrick Vieira

Frank Lampard
Kevin Molino
Chris Pontius

Only real surprise is not having Giovinco nominated for MVP. I'm not a fan of having 2 players from the same team being nominated for MVP

My picks

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
MVP:
Bradley Wright Philips
David Villa
Sacha Klejstan

Defender of the Year:
Jelle Van Damme
Axel Sjoberg
Matt Hedges

Goalkeeper of the year:
Andre Blake
Tim Howard
Luis Robles

Newcomer of the Year:
Ola Kamara
Nicolas Lodeiro
Jelle Van Damme

Rookie of the Year:
Jack Harrison
Jordan Morris
Keegan Rosenberry

Coach of the Year:
Pablo Mastroeni
Oscar Pareja
Patrick Vieira

Frank Lampard
Kevin Molino
Chris Pontius

Most of these could really go any way. Only ones I'm confident in are Lodeiro winning Newcomer and Mastroeni winning COTY.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

MVP:
Bradley Wright Philips
David Villa
Sacha Klejstan

Defender of the Year:
Jelle Van Damme
Axel Sjoberg
Matt Hedges

Goalkeeper of the year:
Andre Blake
Tim Howard
Luis Robles

Newcomer of the Year:
Ola Kamara
Nicolas Lodeiro
Jelle Van Damme

Rookie of the Year:
Jack Harrison
Jordan Morris
Keegan Rosenberry

Coach of the Year:
Pablo Mastroeni
Oscar Pareja
Patrick Vieira

Frank Lampard
Kevin Molino
Chris Pontius

hesitant for coach of the year, I think Patrick and Pablo equally deserve it and i know Jordan will win ROTY but I prefer Rosenberry by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad