MLS 2016 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The ball from Magee on the corner was fabulous. Already doing more than Gio did in the entire 1st half

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
A goal, an assist, and a drawn penalty.

Holy half, Mike Magee.

To continue the positivity...I sincerely hope Ashley Cole keeps this up, because his effort has been there every minute he's played thus far and he's had a hell of a game. He looks like a man motivated to prove people, people like me, wrong. I'll happily eat crow if he keeps this up.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
To continue the positivity...I sincerely hope Ashley Cole keeps this up, because his effort has been there every minute he's played thus far and he's had a hell of a game. He looks like a man motivated to prove people, people like me, wrong. I'll happily eat crow if he keeps this up.

Yeah, I really didn't want to say it, but he's played really well tonight. He's had at least two last gasp, goal saving tackles and looks like he actually gives a ****. Hopefully he continues to do the same.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Talk about a tale of 2 halves. There was almost nothing positive about the 1st half and Magee comes on and the rest was history.

I thought Cole was terrific in the 2nd half. Made some really nice tackles and broke up plays and was decent going forward. Steres had a solid 1st team debut. I thought DeJong played really well. Didn't standout too much, but played a solid game. Gerrard...well there's room for improvement. Great assist on the 4th goal from the set piece.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
de Jong definitely needs time to meld and to figure out exactly where he fits in this ever-changing formation. Actually, scratch that, he knows where he fits, but not everyone else does. He's shown promise and most of the negatives can be summed up as only being with the team for 2-3 weeks now.

Gerrard...I'll never question his effort, but his body has failed him. He's still capable of the occasional good play, but in all honesty he really needs to be played in a role similar to what has been projected for Magee.

Magee...well, tonight was special. Limit his minutes and maximize his effectiveness...though obviously tonight isn't exactly sustainable.

The biggest takeaway from this is simply that the 4-4-2 must be used and Bruce has to find a way to get Gio to work in it, rather than trying to change the formation around him.

Rogers flipping sides has been a tough transition, but he's shown some positives. Lletget was up and down, but he got 80 minutes in, which basically equals what he's played to this point so that's good. Kennedy didn't survive 20 minutes before going down, but didn't exactly impress...nobody expected greatness from him this year, but I really wouldn't be surprised if Rowe takes the starters' job by the All-Star Break.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I hate watching this game on Unimas. The English commentary is so far behind the play

edit: Oh ffs we're already losing :shakehead

The Unimas commentators (or at least Ramses Sandoval) are absolutely horrible. I can't understand why that guy still has a job. Nails on a chalkboard.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Can anyone tell me anything about Perry Kitchen?

Didn't see him too much because I rarely watch DC games, but he's a reliable defensive midfielder from what I've seen.

Totally off-topic, but I had a dream on the weekend leading into the MLS season openers that Vancouver was opening the season against the Galaxy... but they were called the L.A. Nazis... Apparently I have some deep rooted hate for the Galaxy. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What the hell, man? :laugh:

Kitchen is solid at what he does...not a stud or anything. Not really sure why he figured he'd be some hot commodity, or even a commodity in Europe, but whatever.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
What the hell, man? :laugh:

Kitchen is solid at what he does...not a stud or anything. Not really sure why he figured he'd be some hot commodity, or even a commodity in Europe, but whatever.

Every team is always a defensive midfield away from a championship so he probably thinks he will be in more demand in Europe since the MLS is more focused on strikers

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hoilett is a free agent in the summer *
Rollins himted it was a Canadian player tfc where looking to sign

Would adding Hoilett make Altidore available (if he isn't already)?

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Can anyone tell me anything about Perry Kitchen?

Meh, above average MLS dmid. Ok in distribution, nothing special on set pieces, pretty much coulda been a 10 year MLS guy if he didn't go chasing overseas money.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Hoilett is a free agent in the summer *
Rollins himted it was a Canadian player tfc where looking to sign

That's such a redundant signing if you're committed to playing Gio on the left

If they're going that route better off signing Edgar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events