OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
But if you have a guy who is straight up dealing in a game and the manager takes him out because he doesn't want to go through the order a 3rd time, thats not an analytics things, thats a manager who doesn't have his finger on the pulse of the game.

It may be semantics but here is where I kind of disagree. They aren't advanced stats but the whole third time through the order, the whole after a certain amount of pitches, is all based on stats. BTW I'm not saying I'm supporting Cash or his decision or that I disagree with your final assessment. The problem isn't using statistics. It's the second part of the equation, the real world analysis of statistics.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
What may be even worse than taking Snell out was the decision to put in Anderson right after.

Anderson has been doing his best Ottavino impression all postseason. He wasn't lights out like he was during the regular season, and it seemed like the Rays were operating under the assumption that he would be.

I know the prevailing sentiment is that the postseason is too small of a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions about a player's performance (Cashman always touts this line after repeated playoff failures). But Anderson allowed runs in 7 consecutive games dating back to the ALDS - how can he possibly be relied upon in that situation?
Not only that but Betts has had trouble vs lefties but was hitting righties well.

Reactions: OverTheCap

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It may be semantics but here is where I kind of disagree. They aren't advanced stats but the whole third time through the order, the whole after a certain amount of pitches, is all based on stats. BTW I'm not saying I'm supporting Cash or his decision or that I disagree with your final assessment. The problem isn't using statistics. It's the second part of the equation, the real world analysis of statistics.
Exactly, no '3rd time through the order' is based on a huge spike in OPS specifically for Snell. That's Managing by the Binder 101

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Looks like they're laying the groundwork to fry Turner for this.

I'm not clear on the timeline. What is the point of random testing if the results return mid games? Was this a 2nd test to confirm the initial? Or the whole batch for that day came back mid game?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Looks like they're laying the groundwork to fry Turner for this.

I'm not clear on the timeline. What is the point of random testing if the results return mid games? Was this a 2nd test to confirm the initial? Or the whole batch for that day came back mid game?
The timeline is that MLB learned, around the 2nd inning, that Turner's test from Monday (the previous day) came back inconclusive. His Tuesday test (from before the game) is run by itself. The results (positive) come back around the 6th inning, and they pull him mid-inning.

Why the MLB started the game before having 100% confidence in test results is weird, unless the testers gave the go-ahead to do the game, and then relooked at the results and saw a discrepancy and got on the phone with the MLB ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: East Coast Bias

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Turner just won a ring, I'm sure he probably doesn't care what punishment MLB will throw down, especially after the joke of a punishment they gave the Astros for cheating, lol

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The timeline is that MLB learned, around the 2nd inning, that Turner's test from Monday (the previous day) came back inconclusive. His Tuesday test (from before the game) is run by itself. The results (positive) come back around the 6th inning, and they pull him mid-inning.

Why the MLB started the game before having 100% confidence in test results is weird, unless the testers gave the go-ahead to do the game, and then relooked at the results and saw a discrepancy and got on the phone with the MLB ASAP.

After the game, Manfred looked like a man who didn’t expect a positive 2nd test

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Turner just won a ring, I'm sure he probably doesn't care what punishment MLB will throw down, especially after the joke of a punishment they gave the Astros for cheating, lol

f***in with peoples health/lives ==/== cheating at a game.

Dick move by JT but I do get it, you just won the WS and peaked in life, can't imagine going into quarantine/isolation instead of celebrating with the boys.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You missed the best part: He opposes Cohen buying the team on character grounds but favors the team being sold to A-Rod (who as we all know is the most high character individual on Earth) instead.

Reactions: egelband

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Exactly, no '3rd time through the order' is based on a huge spike in OPS specifically for Snell. That's Managing by the Binder 101

....but there is one thing, and this puts me at a loss for why Cash took Snell out. I looked up some of Snell's numbers earlier today and found that specific to him, for the last two years he actually had slightly better numbers 3rd time through the order. Although this year (small sample of course) both his 2nd and 3rd time through the order numbers were horrible. In his Cy Young 2018 campaign, he did have a drop off going through the lineup the third time but the numbers were still really good in holding hitters to a below average OPS.

Also taking Snell out and putting in Anderson to face Betts wasn't supported by the statistics. It was just a mind boggling decision on all fronts. Of course I just saw that Jomboy has it explained out succinctly and hilariously.

Reactions: Maximus and romba

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Eat plates of shit Tampa.

Pick a charity of your choice.

Dear William Rimberg-Buch,
The American Red Cross is very grateful for your generous gift of $20.00 on October 29, 2020 to Western Wildfires.
Please see below for a copy of your tax receipt information for your donation. A copy of this tax receipt will also be emailed to [email protected].
The humanitarian efforts of the Red Cross provide comfort and hope to so many during their times of need. Thank you for your commitment to this critically important work. Our mission depends on the support and compassion of donors like you.
On behalf of those we serve, thank you for standing with us.
Sincerely,
mcgovernsig.jpg

Gail McGovern
President and CEO, American Red Cross

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You missed the best part: He opposes Cohen buying the team on character grounds but favors the team being sold to A-Rod (who as we all know is the most high character individual on Earth) instead.

ARod is the fakest human ever. He's the relative or schmucky family friend you see at a wedding that you get forced into the most contrived ten minute conversation with during the smorgasbord hour.

Jon Miller was terrible and ARod is somehow worse.

Reactions: sabremike

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Under an hour from officially having Cohen voted to own the Mets. I cannot see DeBlasio gutting this deal. If he does, he'll kill any of their offseason plans.

The good thing is, no matter who the owner is, new ownership is going to invest. ARod said they would have a payroll near $225-250M on the radio the other day if he got ownership. Cohen is going to spend. He makes his money away from baseball. This is a dream for him to get a championship back to Queens.

I also like Alderson coming in to oversee everything. The majority of the team right now are guys he either drafted or brought in via trade. BVW got JD Davis and not much else. Now, he'll actually have a payroll where he can make moves he probably wanted to, but could not.

For the first time since 2015, there is some real hype around this team acquiring real talent and being in the mix with the top teams. Starting pitching has to be the emphasis and getting a legit centerfielder. Springer would be ideal to fill that hole. He might need to move to a corner in 3-4 years, but the immediate impact of getting a high end offensive and defensive player in that role is paramount to improving their offense and not having a defensive hole in CF. Moves someone like Nimmo to LF, where he is a better fit. And the obvious void at catcher would need to be addressed, hopefully via trade (Realmuto isn't big on playing in NY).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I also like Alderson coming in to oversee everything. The majority of the team right now are guys he either drafted or brought in via trade. BVW got JD Davis and not much else. Now, he'll actually have a payroll where he can make moves he probably wanted to, but could not.

alderson did a really great job stacking talent and doesn’t get enough credit IMO.

there were definitely annoying 1 year vet deals during that time, but that was the Wilpons refusing to commit to anything beyond the next financial results.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->