OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Under an hour from officially having Cohen voted to own the Mets. I cannot see DeBlasio gutting this deal. If he does, he'll kill any of their offseason plans.

The good thing is, no matter who the owner is, new ownership is going to invest. ARod said they would have a payroll near $225-250M on the radio the other day if he got ownership. Cohen is going to spend. He makes his money away from baseball. This is a dream for him to get a championship back to Queens.

I also like Alderson coming in to oversee everything. The majority of the team right now are guys he either drafted or brought in via trade. BVW got JD Davis and not much else. Now, he'll actually have a payroll where he can make moves he probably wanted to, but could not.

For the first time since 2015, there is some real hype around this team acquiring real talent and being in the mix with the top teams. Starting pitching has to be the emphasis and getting a legit centerfielder. Springer would be ideal to fill that hole. He might need to move to a corner in 3-4 years, but the immediate impact of getting a high end offensive and defensive player in that role is paramount to improving their offense and not having a defensive hole in CF. Moves someone like Nimmo to LF, where he is a better fit. And the obvious void at catcher would need to be addressed, hopefully via trade (Realmuto isn't big on playing in NY).
Springer is 31. I'm no Mets fan but tread lightly with that contract.

Reactions: zephyr and egelband

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
alderson did a really great job stacking talent and doesn’t get enough credit IMO.

there were definitely annoying 1 year vet deals during that time, but that was the Wilpons refusing to commit to anything beyond the next financial results.
A real problem was the Wilpons not willing to spend anything on technology/analytics. Cohen will be the exact opposite.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It’s a huge breath of fresh air no longer having Lester Diamond running the team.
upload_2020-10-31_15-41-37.png

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Congrats to all the Mets fans in here.

Thx not sure "congrats" is in order as all we did was live and die with this team under the horrific ownership of the Wilpons but thx nonetheless....lol

The adjective or two I think of when thinking about Cohen in and the Wilpons gone is "relief" first off and than "hope".

Relief that this actually happened as it's been rough sledding but finally it happened that the Wilpons are gone finally.

And than there is hope cause it looks like we got a owner who could be our "Mark Cuban" type and and will infuse some badly needed capital and will hire the right people so we can bring in the right kind of players to bring us to the point where we can be a threat again to win a championship.

Good days are certainly ahead and for us Met fans it's been a long time coming!

Reactions: egelband

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's weird that we have the wealthiest owner in the sport.

Hopefully they will no longer be run by a middle of the pack team money wise. Also, Alderson will have financial backing for the first time in a while.

Also, they will have an expansive analytics team, which hopefully turns around their player evaluation and deepens their prospect system.

Sure, they'll spend on MLB level talent, but the biggest impact should be development of a consistent pipeline of talent where they can make trades they need to and not go from a top farm to bottom of the barrel after making one big move.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
I think this will be good for the Yankees too.

The Yankees currently have a mystique unlike any other team in American sports (maybe the Lakers). They cannot lose that to the Mets. Being a good/great regular season team but failing to even make the World Series for over a decade cannot be tolerated.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think this will be good for the Yankees too.

The Yankees currently have a mystique unlike any other team in American sports (maybe the Lakers). They cannot lose that to the Mets. Being a good/great regular season team but failing to even make the World Series for over a decade cannot be tolerated.
Unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon. The drafting under Cashman has been atrocious. He has shown no ability to properly evaluate and acquire starting pitching. His gameplan of stocking the lineup with right handed sluggers has failed miserably in the playoffs. The pandemic has also negatively affected his ability to make up for his mistakes with free agent signings. I think the Yankees are going to be in a holding pattern for the foreseeable future.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's weird that we have the wealthiest owner in the sport.

the biggest win is the ability to think longer term. All money isn’t spent equal. When you’re living season to season financially, you can’t make certain decisions and be in on certain guys.

Even when the Wilpons spent, it was always high priced one year deals. Couldn’t commit beyond that.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Legitimately not even asking for the Mets to spend Dodgers level money. The thought that we will invest the analytical department and wont be overseen by a micromanaging man-child is tremendous on its own.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
From what I’ve read it sounds like the plan is to beef up the organization...they will hire 2 guys to run the baseball operation working under sandy. And I’m sure will also beef up scouting, player development etc

It’s spending smartly...one thing that never made sense with the Wilpons. These things are way cheaper than free agents and if they save you from needing to sign a single free agent they pay for themselves...

The other place that teams like the dodgers Yankees Red Sox cubs etc flex their financial advantage is the international free agent market...another expense that could save you $$ later

Reactions: BlessThisMess513
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->