OT: MLB Thread Part XXI: Title Still TBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
This might be a good idea. Move Andujar to the OF or 1st or trade him for a high return a la Jesus Montero.
Well it looks like Machado is close to a lock next yr at 3B, if Cash wants him. And Andujar will never be as good as Hicks, Stanton and Judge. I guess we can DH him and rotate with Stanton/Judge in the outfield.

Or trade him for high return and give Clint more playing time next year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
ClosedEnormousJunco-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i think that's more resting him and making sure he's 110 than an actual injury preventing him from pitching. they have the division locked up at this point

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
i think that's more resting him and making sure he's 110 than an actual injury preventing him from pitching. they have the division locked up at this point

Don't buy that at all.

Its not legal to put someone on the DL for just "reasons" and if they want to rest him, not having him pitch is about the worst way to go about it too. They should have probably given him more rest before bringing him back to pitch against the O's.

Something is clearly ailing him, and his shoulder didn't respond positively to what ever they tried on his last DL stint. If this were a matter of keeping his innings/pitches down they could just skip him a few times down the stretch and/or take him out an inning earlier than normal. That way you can keep him fresh-ish while still allowing him to go out there and throw.

Plus, If we say that he misses a month, He will have gone around 2 months with out throwing over 100 or more pitches. That stamina won't be there when he gets back and it'll take more than a few starts to build that back up. I'm sure that he'll throw on the side and what ever to get "ready" but there is no way you can emulate in game pitching and just throwing a side session.

Thats before even getting into the inevitable high stress innings he'll have to deal with in the playoffs.

I'm not writing his eulogy but if the worry meter was at a 2 or a 3 after his first DL stint, I'd put it at a solid 6 or 7 now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
deGrom should win the Cy Young. He is having one of the greatest seasons of my lifetime. Unfortunately, he's a Met.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Didn't Sale just whiff 12 guys in 5 innings after coming back from his first stint...his FB was sitting upper-90's too. If somethings wrong with him it's probably a little discomfort that wouldn't have prevented him from pitching if they were in a tight division race. I'd be a little concerned it's something more but like I said, probably just rest to ensure he's 110 for October.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Didn't Sale just whiff 12 guys in 5 innings after coming back from his first stint...his FB was sitting upper-90's too. If somethings wrong with him it's probably a little discomfort that wouldn't have prevented him from pitching if they were in a tight division race. I'd be a little concerned it's something more but like I said, probably just rest to ensure he's 110 for October.

Thor was hitting triple digits before he got hurt and missed almost all of last season.

Velocity isn't indicative of injury vs no injury (it can be, but this isn't always the case) . His arm didn't bounce back from pitching (and he threw under 70 pitches, which is much lighter than an actual work load) the way that he wanted it to. The rest that he took beforehand wasn't enough and while that isn't super problematic in it's own right, it is something that raises more than a few flags.

Plus he was fine with that extra rest, if his shoulder doesn't get any better, do you feel confident in his ability to bounce back and throw well again 5 days later as opposed to the 10+ days he can get right now?

There are other ways to give him that rest with out throwing him on the DL. Unless they give him ample time off (4-6 weeks) this is something that he will likely have to pitch through. He may have to pitch through it regardless.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That guy in Washington is pretty good.
Scherzer's great. deGrom leads in ERA (now down to 1.71 after the CG today), FIP, xFIP, fWAR, adjusted ERA+, etc. I know BP and BR like Scherzer better. They're 1-2, for sure. I'll give it to the guy who is having one of the best ERA seasons of the modern era.

Honestly as good as Scherzer has been, I think if the Mets were a .500 team or better like the Nats and deGrom had 15 wins now instead of 8, he'd be the clear front runner. And I don't think it's "clear," I just think deGrom has been so consistently awesome all year. And yeah I'm not impartial, I get that, too.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Scherzer's great. deGrom leads in ERA (now down to 1.71 after the CG today), FIP, xFIP, fWAR, adjusted ERA+, etc. I know BP and BR like Scherzer better. They're 1-2, for sure. I'll give it to the guy who is having one of the best ERA seasons of the modern era.

Honestly as good as Scherzer has been, I think if the Mets were a .500 team or better like the Nats and deGrom had 15 wins now instead of 8, he'd be the clear front runner. And I don't think it's "clear," I just think deGrom has been so consistently awesome all year. And yeah I'm not impartial, I get that, too.

DeGrom having 15 wins instead of 8 shouldn't matter. Then again dinosaurs tend to vote for these awards.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
DeGrom having 15 wins instead of 8 shouldn't matter. Then again dinosaurs tend to vote for these awards.
And that's why it would be a stunner if deGrom wins, IMO. Which is a shame, because W shouldn't matter.
Degrom won’t win because Mets.

Not a big deal because having an undeserving winner is more common than it should be.
Eh, it matters to the player, it matters to the fans of that team, it potentially matters when evaluating guys for the HOF (not saying that applies to deGrom, just in general), and it matters to fans who care about the awards going to the right guy. So, I think for a lot of people, it is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad