OT: MLB Thread Part XXI: Title Still TBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well the prospect of doing that isn't exactly exciting either.

Houston is in a bit of hot water though. For all the talk about the Yankees possibly falling out of it, Houston is even closer to to that being a possibility.

And that's why it would be a stunner if deGrom wins, IMO. Which is a shame, because W shouldn't matter.

Eh, it matters to the player, it matters to the fans of that team, it potentially matters when evaluating guys for the HOF (not saying that applies to deGrom, just in general), and it matters to fans who care about the awards going to the right guy. So, I think for a lot of people, it is a big deal.

Fair enough.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The same problem pervades hockey. Connor McDavid was the best and therefore most 'valuable' player last year but wasn't even a Hart finalist because team results and playoffs.

Reactions: All Might

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The same problem pervades hockey. Connor McDavid was the best and therefore most 'valuable' player last year but wasn't even a Hart finalist because team results and playoffs.
Yeah, it happens everywhere. I actually somewhat understand why people emphasize those things in the MVP award, because there are so many variables and so many things that are up to individual interpretation. I don't agree with it but I understand it.

The Cy Young, on the other hand, is just for the best pitcher. Right? Best regular season pitcher. That other shit shouldn't matter. "Player judged most valuable to his team" leaves a lot of weasel room. I just think the Cy Young should be one of the most cut and dry things.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's dumb. If anything, the best player in the game playing on a bad team....doesn't that make him even more valuble "to his team"? Makes no sense. Unless the implication is McDavid deserves blame for them missing the playoffs which is nonsense.

He lit the league on fire at Even Strength and was a +20 on a minus team....

But Jake should definitely win it over Max right now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Thornton getting the Hart in 05/06 was one of the biggest travesty in sports history.

Jagr was the best player in the league that season and way more valuable than a player who only played 58 games for his team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Thornton getting the Hart in 05/06 was one of the biggest travesty in sports history.

Jagr was the best player in the league that season and way more valuable than a player who only played 58 games for his team.
I would've voted for Jagr as well, but it wasn't that bad. Thornton won the Art Ross that season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Man I hope that gets Bird going eventually.

I know I've said that like a dozen times already, but there is a reason Cash said he had the best bat in the system.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Happ is awesome, sign him to a 2 yr + club option or something after the season.

Shoot Sonny into the sun, re-sign CC to 1 yr contracts for life, ease in Montgomery + Sheffield and load up the brink trucks for Corbin.

Severino
Corbin
Tanaka
Happ
CC/Montgomery/Sheffield

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Sleeping, actually.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Machinehead

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Happ is awesome, sign him to a 2 yr + club option or something after the season.

Shoot Sonny into the sun, re-sign CC to 1 yr contracts for life, ease in Montgomery + Sheffield and load up the brink trucks for Corbin.

Severino
Corbin
Tanaka
Happ
CC/Montgomery/Sheffield

Corbin scares me somewhat. This season is really his first elite/great season. Could just be a contract year for him.

Reactions: RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad