OT: MLB Thread Part XXI: Title Still TBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
As an aside, why couldn't or wouldn't the Yankees try and re-sign Britton?
They definitely could. They could let Robertson walk and use the money on Britton. Probably could even re-sign Robertson at a lower salary and allocate saved money to Britton

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Getting Britton and substantially strengthening a strength is probably better than slightly improving a weakness with a backline or middle rotation starter like Happ or Hamels. The quality or kind of starter the Yankees need just doesn't seem to be available.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It doesn't help that SF is delusional and the Mets are dumb.

I'm still hoping Cashman pulls something out of his ass. He owes us for massively f***ing up the Cole situation over the winter.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They're hedging their bets with the rotation. Rodriguez is injury prone, Pomeranz has been bad/hurt and they have someone else who can step in and eat innings for Sale down the stretch who is about to hit the point where he wears down every year.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
It doesn't help that SF is delusional and the Mets are dumb.

I'm still hoping Cashman pulls something out of his ass. He owes us for massively ****ing up the Cole situation over the winter.

I don't blame Cashman at all for the Cole thing.

1) Cole would not be pitching THIS well here in all likelihood.

2) Pirates wanted too much from the Yankees for a guy that had a sub 4 ERA the last two seasons before this.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't blame Cashman at all for the Cole thing.

1) Cole would not be pitching THIS well here in all likelihood.

2) Pirates wanted too much from the Yankees for a guy that had a sub 4 ERA the last two seasons before this.

Even if he wasn't pitching this well, he'd be our 2nd best starter.

Pirates would have dealt him here for Frazier+Adams. Cash didn't want to move both in the same deal.

This one is on him.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Yoenis being out with an injury for two months just to comeback for a single game and then immediately go for season ending surgery .

I am very content with the state of this existence.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
My whole point is the Mets should have waited and a lot of people and baseball reporters feel the same way. The market this year is different than years past. It is a head scratching move when you know there are teams looking for a reliable setup man and closer help aka the Astros, Red Sox, and Dodgers to name a few. Not everyone was going to be able to get Britton who was clearly the top target. Now all those teams have to look elsewhere. They were all seriously discussing Britton so their focus could be shifting to Familia right now except he isnt their anymore. The SP market is weak and that is why the Yankees did what they did. Its senseless for the Mets to make the deal when they did, that is all there is to it. We can argue this until we are blue in the face, but it was horrible asset management by them. Not trying to **** on them. I would say the same thing if it was any other team but its not because its the Mets
These baseball reporters aren't any smarter than us - it's not like they have stone tablets from Mt. Sinai. Sometimes waiting is better than not waiting, sometimes it's the opposite. Not that I have any faith in Rico but why should I take the word of "unnamed sources" from a couple of random beat reporters that the Mets could have done better by waiting?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
These baseball reporters aren't any smarter than us - it's not like they have stone tablets from Mt. Sinai. Sometimes waiting is better than not waiting, sometimes it's the opposite. Not that I have any faith in Rico but why should I take the word of "unnamed sources" from a couple of random beat reporters that the Mets could have done better by waiting?
Hmm idk because the beat reporters, are around the teams much more than you are...so yes they may not be “smarter” than you but they absolutely know more. Guys like Heymand and Sherman have great sources. They provide great information. They arent making shit up. It is what they are hearing from members of teams around the league. Dont come in here and make stupid claims like “they arent any smarter”, it just sounds like the easy way out of an argument

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yoenis being out with an injury for two months just to comeback for a single game and then immediately go for season ending surgery .

We had a pitcher get shelved for the year because he fell off a curb. Remember the Duaner Sanchez injury fiasco?

It’s just Mets things.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm still hoping Cashman pulls something out of his ass. He owes us for massively ****ing up the Cole situation over the winter.
He "owes" you? He had one of the quicker rebuilds anyone recalls and has his team positioned to be one of the top 3 teams in baseball. He felt that what the Pirates wanted was too rich. Maybe he likes Frazier a lot better. Or maybe the askance was far more than you think. Am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has the Yankees as the youngest team, and as one of the top teams. Let's give him some rope here.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He "owes" you? He had one of the quicker rebuilds anyone recalls and has his team positioned to be one of the top 3 teams in baseball. He felt that what the Pirates wanted was too rich. Maybe he likes Frazier a lot better. Or maybe the askance was far more than you think. Am more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has the Yankees as the youngest team, and as one of the top teams. Let's give him some rope here.

If Cashman owes Yankee fans, you can only imagine what Mets feel entitled.....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Nah the ask was right in line with what I expected. He actually ended up going for less.

Everyone knew the rotation had an issue. Instead of addressing it he decided to prospect hug. This isn't a new thing for him, he did it with Cliff Lee too in 2010 and that may have cost us another title.

He has a chance to redeem himself now.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nah the ask was right in line with what I expected. He actually ended up going for less.

Everyone knew the rotation had an issue. Instead of addressing it he decided to prospect hug. This isn't a new thing for him, he did it with Cliff Lee too in 2010 and that may have cost us another title.

He has a chance to redeem himself now.
Unless you have an inside track, from what I read/heard the ask was more. At a minimal, Andujar more, If Cashman did not want to pay a Yankee tax, you cannot blame him.

As for "prospect hugging", you cannot have it both ways. Look at what he built on the strength of prospects. You do not get to have such a team, the youngest out there, without hugging someone.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

You can have a slightly used Jacoby Ellsbury for DeGrom

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Unless you have an inside track, from what I read/heard the ask was more. At a minimal, Andujar more, If Cashman did not want to pay a Yankee tax, you cannot blame him.

As for "prospect hugging", you cannot have it both ways. Look at what he built on the strength of prospects. You do not get to have such a team, the youngest out there, without hugging someone.

You keep the right ones.

Not Eduardo Nunez and Chance Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad