OT: MLB Thread Part XX: Title incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Archer does cause concerns for me. But we need a better option than Cessa/German to round out the rotation. Then we could look to see if someone else becomes available such as a DeGrom. We need a SP badly

Archer is on one of the team friendliest deals in the majors and has control for 3 more years I think. Factor in the division tax, the ask is going to be absurdly high for a middle rotation starter. I really don't see the fit.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Hamels has another year at $20 million and he hasn't been good since he was in Philly.

He was always a liability in big games, fortunately there was one major exception to that in the 2008 World Series but he otherwise tended to struggle when he was needed most. The Mets regularly abused him from 2006-2009. He was pretty much the only guy on those teams that didn’t seem to own the Mets

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm starting to believe that this isn't the year to mortgage our prospects. The AL playoffs is going to be a minefield. We have a better chance of losing the wildcard game than making the world series. Not to mention that the available starting pitching is underwhelming.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm starting to believe that this isn't the year to mortgage our prospects. The AL playoffs is going to be a minefield. We have a better chance of losing the wildcard game than making the world series.
Doesn’t mean we cant make moves to add. I absolutely would not trade any high level prospects for any of the available starters or relievers. No need for position player UNLESS a high level starter became available and Andujar was in the deal.

Britton and at least one SP is needed to help close the gap in the AL East

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Doesn’t mean we cant make moves to add. I absolutely would not trade any high level prospects for any of the available starters or relievers. No need for position player UNLESS a high level starter became available and Andujar was in the deal.

Britton and at least one SP is needed to help close the gap in the AL East

?? Zach Britton and a Starter who can actually help the team would cost high level prospects. Yankees don't need another arm out of the pen. Astros are gonna grab Britton or perhaps the Cubbies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
?? Zach Britton and a Starter who can actually help the team would cost high level prospects. Yankees don't need another arm out of the pen. Astros are gonna grab Britton or perhaps the Cubbies.

They don't need another arm out of the pen, but getting someone like Britton would basically be death for other teams in close games when it matters.

Look at the other bullpens in the AL, they all suck.

Reactions: RGY

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Astros back end is horrendous.

Sox bridge to Kimbrel is just as bad.

And what, Zach Britton magically fixes these bullpens you claim are so bad? Honestly, Houston probably repeats even if they do nothing. They have the best starting rotation bar none. Verlander's gonna go 7-8 innings a game. You can piggy back McCullers or Morton on top of each other like they did last year. And their pen is a lot better than it was last year by every objective metric.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Posted the Pedro Yankees are my daddy video on HFBruins because they were talking mad shit about El Gary...lol. Wonder if they'll thread or sub ban me. I wouldn't really care if a Red Sox fan came in here TBH.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And what, Zach Britton magically fixes these bullpens you claim are so bad? Honestly, Houston probably repeats even if they do nothing. They have the best starting rotation bar none. Verlander's gonna go 7-8 innings a game. You can piggy back McCullers or Morton on top of each other like they did last year. And their pen is a lot better than it was last year by every objective metric.

I’m not the one making that argument...

I’m saying people shouldn’t be scoffing at the idea of adding a reliever to our pen. Yes we have plenty of options, but adding another one (which simultaneously would allow us to be rid of schreve) is a massive win.

He would make both Boston and Houston’s pens much better though. Houston’s guys aren’t going to be able to go crazy deep into every game unless they want to run on fumes in October.

Plus guys have bad starts.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d take a lock down lefty in addition to a quality starter.

So many games in the postseason come down to who has the deeper/better pen. Why not make a strength even stronger?
I don't disagree, I just don't want this to be in lieu of doing something else.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yet you expected the Mets to get good prospects for Familia? What am I missing here?
Huh? Reading comprehension problem? No. My point was the Mets handled it wrong and did not need to rush to deal him. That same deal was going to be there today, tomorrow, and thursday, next weekend.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ok

Still better than Shreve....and he has been solid lately

Better than Shreve doesn't really matter since Shreve is never going to pitch in a high leverage spot in the playoffs. They already have Green Betances Robertson Chapman who will get every important situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad