MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Adam Wainwright won the Clemente Award. I don't think it's deserving its own thread, but he deserves this award, not just because of his own endeavors, but because he's a main player in other endeavors that his teammates and friends take on.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Would love to get him on the Jays and rumours have it that both sides have talked but the Mets makes a ton of sense. Springer grew up in Connecticut and had a lot of family and baseball ties to the area. With Cano being off the books this year the Mets can definitely get this done.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Blanca Vizquel’s right hand rests on Omar Vizquel’s chest and her left hand is draped over his shoulder as the couple pose for a poolside photograph during a vacation to the Dominican Republic almost five years ago. Hair pulled back in a sleek ponytail, Blanca is beaming. Omar, her husband, dressed in a striped button-down shirt, grins. The couple appears rested, happy

Underneath the photo, posted on Jan. 7, 2016, on Omar’s Instagram account, reads the caption: “Felicitaciones a mi polli preciosa en su Cumpleanos. Q sigas tan linda como siempre. Eres mi rayito de sol y campanera incondicional te amo.”

“Congratulations to my precious little chicken (Omar’s nickname for Blanca) on her birthday. Stay as cute as ever. You are my ray of sunshine and unconditional partner, I love you.”

Ten days after that was posted, Omar was led out of the couple’s home in Sammamish, Washington, in handcuffs and ushered into a police car. Blanca remained inside the house, in her room, shaking and fearful, calling friends, distraught over what had occurred, concerned about what would come next.

“It’s devastating because the person you love is supposed to protect you, and when (he’s) the one who’s hurting you … it’s like slow motion and you’re scared and then the police are there, and you know you can’t take it back,” Blanca told The Athletic.

For years, Blanca remained mostly quiet about the abuse she endured. But in August, after six years of marriage and after what she described as one last volatile interaction with Omar, she fled their home in Arizona, spent time in a women’s shelter and then, less than a week later, initiated divorce proceedings. In an Instagram live video posted on Oct. 7, she announced in Spanish that “no one deserves to have violence against them.”

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Him and Gubi have been on the air ever since I started watching Angel games heavily. I’m sad to lose him, it won’t be the same
i enjoy gubicza but rojas bugged the hell out of me.

Sep 19, 2008
Got used to Rojas later on in his career. Always loved the walkoff call "Drive home safely!"

Sep 19, 2008
There is talk that Manfred wants the 162 game season this year. The owners are opposed as they don't feel like 162 is doable especially with fans not being allowed.

Not sure why they can't just have a shortened season.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
There is talk that Manfred wants the 162 game season this year. The owners are opposed as they don't feel like 162 is doable especially with fans not being allowed.

Not sure why they can't just have a shortened season.

There will be another fight as the players will not be interested in taking a short salary again

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't claim to know the ins and outs of these negotiations and what is best for either side but what would the reasoning be for the union to turn this down?

They probably want bigger/better concessions from the owners. Remember, they came very close to not even having a season last year.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They probably want bigger/better concessions from the owners. Remember, they came very close to not even having a season last year.

Yeah and I guess at this point they haven’t really made public what those asks are, other than I’m sure more money and sooner. I suppose the expanded playoffs is the biggest chip they have to play so they want to get the most out of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad