OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What would we do with Machado and another righty bat?

DJ Lemahieu is a great ballplayer. Very very good contact hitter. Great fielder. He already doesnt have a spot and we are paying him $12 million per. Of course we can rotate him around the infield but that becomes more difficult if you add Machado.

Cant assume Andujar can simply play 1B either. Dont know if he has the athletic build for the position to be quite honest.

Plus Voit/Bird become non existent, and all value is diminished if you wanted to trade 1 or both. They really need Bird to be a comeback player of the year essentially. They need that lefty bat badly.

Harper can go to LF. Frazier rotates in. Gardner gets 30-40 starts rotating in. Frazier can get some starts in CF. So could Harper against less concerning matchups.
Like I said before, I think signing LeMahieu is a waste if we go after Machado. But at least I can see a scenario where it makes some sense.

The Yankees have four starting outfielders as it is, with Frazier waiting in the wings, and if one of them has to constantly DH, then that's more of Andujar butchering third base.

The only sound argument for Harper seems to be that he's left-handed but he still has to play a position the team actually needs to fill.

Not to mention he's also yet another three outcome hitter.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Like I said before, I think signing LeMahieu is a waste if we go after Machado. But at least I can see a scenario where it makes some sense.

The Yankees have four starting outfielders as it is, with Frazier waiting in the wings, and if one of them has to constantly DH, then that's more of Andujar butchering third base.

The only sound argument for Harper seems to be that he's left-handed but he still has to play a position the team actually needs to fill.

Not to mention he's also yet another three outcome hitter.
I would rather have LeMahieu rotate in at 3B and have Harper in LF than have Machado at 3B and Andujar getting reps at 1B with LeMahieu, Voit and Bird all wasted now. You are only affecting Frazier with Harper, and Frazier can still get his reps. Gardner is a late game defensive replacement and pinch runner while getting some starts. He is insurance at this point.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would rather have LeMahieu rotate in at 3B and have Harper in LF than have Machado at 3B and Andujar getting reps at 1B with LeMahieu, Voit and Bird all wasted now. You are only affecting Frazier with Harper, and Frazier can still get his reps. Gardner is a late game defensive replacement and pinch runner while getting some starts. He is insurance at this point.
Gardner is still a 2-3 WAR player. It would be an outrageous waste of money to have him never playing.

The whole thing is an outrageous waste of money. You spend 30 x 7/8 on something you need.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cmon this is a little excessive.

Plus his bat in Yankee Stadium as a lefty would ultimately have a huge swing in his power numbers
Since they entered the league, Stanton has been worth 9 more wins, about 80 more runs, and about 40 more runs on offense.

He's much better than Harper.

Reactions: Irishguy42

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Since they entered the league, Stanton has been worth 9 more wins, about 80 more runs, and about 40 more runs on offense.

He's much better than Harper.
And I think over the next 3 years if both had Yankee stadium as their home, the gap would be significantly shortened. Because Harper is a lefty.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And I think over the next 3 years if both had Yankee stadium as their home, the gap would be significantly shortened. Because Harper is a lefty.
You could say the same of Stanton who played in Yellowstone before he got to the Yankees.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not according to fangraphs. Might want to double check those numbers.
I don't know what fangraphs you're reading.

Harper

fWAR - 30.7
Off - 199.7
wRAA - 212.9
wRC - 667

Stanton

fWAR - 39.0
Off - 238.6
wRAA - 254.2
wRC - 806

Stanton played an extra 150 games. Take those out and he still beats Harper in every category.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Harper

fWAR - 30.7
Off - 199.7
wRAA - 212.9
wRC - 667

Stanton

fWAR - 39.0
Off - 238.6
wRAA - 254.2
wRC - 806

Stanton played an extra 150 games. Take those out and he still beats Harper in every category.
Stanton has played 1144 Games. Harper has played 927. Stanton broke in 2 years earlier.

Go compare the numbers from 2012-2018.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stanton has played 1144 Games. Harper has played 927. Stanton broke in 2 years earlier.

Go compare the numbers from 2012-2018.
Just since 2012, Stanton has a slightly higher WAR, and slightly higher wRC+, and 65 more homers in fewer games.

Like I said, he's Stanton with less power.

Meanwhile, Stanton gets nothing but shit in this thread and Harper is hailed as a savior.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not to mention Harper has had one season he's never even equaled half of. Treat that as the anomaly it is, and the gap gets even bigger.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just since 2012, Stanton has a slightly higher WAR, and slightly higher wRC+, and 65 more homers in fewer games.

Like I said, he's Stanton with less power.

Meanwhile, Stanton gets nothing but **** in this thread and Harper is hailed as a savior.
Well thats not me. I love Stanton. I am a huge fan of his.

But adding Harper’s lefty bat only makes them more balanced. Every piece of success in yankees history has had a big lefty bat in the lineup, at least one.

And the point was, the gap is not large between Stanton and Harper. It just isnt

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well thats not me. I love Stanton. I am a huge fan of his.

But adding Harper’s lefty bat only makes them more balanced. Every piece of success in yankees history has had a big lefty bat in the lineup, at least one.

And the point was, the gap is not large between Stanton and Harper. It just isnt
Adding a lefty that also does nothing but hit homers doesn't make them more balanced. Adding a bat like LeMahieu makes them more balanced.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Harper

fWAR - 30.7
Off - 199.7
wRAA - 212.9
wRC - 667

Stanton

fWAR - 39.0
Off - 238.6
wRAA - 254.2
wRC - 806

Bit unfair to include 2010 and 2011 seasons for Stanton considering Harper was in minors.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bryce career OBP 30 points higher 388 vs 358 and is a much more patient hitter with a career 15% walk rate. Almost all of Stanton's value as a hitter and player is hitting the ball out of the park.

Also, with men on base Bryce has a career 147 wRC+ vs 124 career wRC+ with men on base for Stanton, striking out 10% less of the time. Also factor in the Lefty bat and impact that could have in matchups and lineup construction and the synergistic effect it could have on the line up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bryce career OBP 30 points higher 388 vs 358 and is a much more patient hitter with a career 15% walk rate. Almost all of Stanton's value as a hitter and player is hitting the ball out of the park.

Also, with men on base Bryce has a career 147 wRC+ vs 124 career wRC+ with men on base for Stanton, striking out 10% less of the time. Also factor in the Lefty bat and impact that could have in matchups and lineup construction and the synergistic effect it could have on the line up.
30 million a year for 15% more walks and synergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad