OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Looks like Harper leaning towards the Giants.

What a stroke of genius by them if true. Prevent trading quality assets for an inferior player in Stanton and sign the superior Harper a year later. They must be thanking the stars that the Yankees swooped in for him.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
what insurance

a premium for a policy on a contract like that will run something like 7M per year. Yankees are eating every penny of that country

Nope the premium is not nearly that much. From the following Forbes article: Jacoby Ellsbury's Absence Seems To Be Working Out For Him And The Yankees

For instance, the Mets have been collecting insurance on their third baseman, David Wright, for the past couple of seasons in which he has missed huge chunks of playing time due to a case of spinal stenosis.

According to a source in the Mets organization, Wright’s policy cost the team $2 million, and has been been repaying the team 75% of Wright’s $20 million yearly salary for the time he has missed since 2015. Wright’s policy kicks in whenever the player has missed 60 days of the season, which has happened in each of the past four seasons.

A Yankees source told me the club has a similar policy on Ellsbury, which has already begun to defray the bulk of his salary for the first two months of 2018. In an ideal world, Ellsbury would sit out the remainder of the season, the Yankees would muddle through with a rotation of Gardner, Hicks and Frazier in centerfield – and be reimbursed to the tune of $15,857,142.86.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Re: Andujar's defense. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. While it's true we are bereft of players who have improved their D at an infield position after struggling early in their careers, it's also true that most times those players are immediately moved to different positions (RF, LF, 1B) where they can be sheltered.

The Yanks are one of the most (if not the most now) analytically inclined teams in MLB. Their analytical department is pretty sizable and they spend a lot of money towards it. Just read a blurb that they had a camera set up behind Paxton's (and probably other pitchers) BP sessions yesterday to accumulate data on all his pitches.

I mention the above because I doubt they throw the analytics away when it comes to Andujar's defense. One thing about DRS and UZR is I take them with a grain of salt due to the fact that they (I believe still) use 'Baseball Info Solutions' data which is plotted by humans which leads to human error and bias. Until Statcast is made publicly available, DRS and UZR will always have the human element built in. Even so, it's accepted that it takes sample size of 2.5-3 seasons worth of games for DRS/UZR to be predictive of a players true talent. Like I mentioned above, usually players don't even get to that sample size before being moved to a different position.

Analytics aside. The eye test, at least to me, showed that Andujar had bad instincts on batted balls which limited his range. His footwork seemed a mess which ended up messing up his throwing. Some double clutching and then rushed throws then ensued.

Luckily the Yankees have all the statcast data available to them and have their own defensive metrics which will help to decide Andujar's future. If he can settle out in the next two years as a nominally below league avg to league avg defender in their metrics then they will keep him at 3B if his offensive output continues on track.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

What a stroke of genius by them if true. Prevent trading quality assets for an inferior player in Stanton and sign the superior Harper a year later. They must be thanking the stars that the Yankees swooped in for him.
tenor.gif

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Debatable. It's not like we're talking Mike Trout here.

Stanton has quickly gotten underrated.

And the Yankees didn't trade any quality assets to get him, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad