OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Manny Machado warns Yankees and everyone: I don’t hustle

“I’ve been thinking about it and it happens every time, there’s no excuse for it honestly,” Machado said about his hustle. “I’ve never given excuses for not running. I’m not hurt, there’s no excuse but I’ve been the same player. … I’ve been doing this for [seven] years, I’m in The Show for [seven] years, I’ve done the same thing for [seven] years, I’ve been the same player.

“Obviously I’m not going to change, I’m not the type of player that’s going to be ‘Johnny Hustle,’ and run down the line and slide to first base and … you know, whatever can happen. That’s just not my personality, that’s not my cup of tea, that’s not who I am.”

No thanks.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have more of a problem with the fact that he doesn't care that he doesn't hustle and he says he won't change, than with him simply not running hard to first. It's just a shitty attitude.

That said, I would take him on the Mets any day. What he does offensively more than makes up for the handful of times where running hard to first actually matters in the outcome of a play, and the even fewer instances where it has an impact on the outcome of the game. I mean Harper does the same stuff. He doesn't have the douchey attitude about it but he loafs to first all the time. I hate it, but some guys make it worth it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have more of a problem with the fact that he doesn't care that he doesn't hustle and he says he won't change, than with him simply not running hard to first. It's just a ****ty attitude.

Yeah, that's exactly it for me. He acknowledges that it's an issue and says "too bad I'm good at baseball so I do what I want."

That said, I would take him on the Mets any day. What he does offensively more than makes up for the handful of times where running hard to first actually matters in the outcome of a play, and the even fewer instances where it has an impact on the outcome of the game. I mean Harper does the same stuff. He doesn't have the *****ey attitude about it but he loafs to first all the time. I hate it, but some guys make it worth it.

I agree with this if he fills a need.

Do the Yankees need to put up with it to add another power hitter? It's like the Predators shelling out big money for another defenseman who happens to have a bad attitude.

And I know Machado and Harper are capable of other things besides homers, but are they willing? We're talking about big dollars in a small stadium with a shitty attitude. We don't need another .250 hitter.

That's exactly what happened to Mark Teixeira after his first season here, and by all accounts, he had a great attitude. "I get paid to hit homeruns" he would say.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tying run on third and Barnes just slaps it up the middle.

That's exactly what you'll never see the Yankees do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

He could grow defensively. It doesn't happen that often once guys have made it to the Majors (unless they're like 19 or something), but it could happen.

"Makeup" is such a ridiculous thing, IMO. I mean, if you have terrible makeup, fine, if you're causing all sorts of problems that's obviously not something that you want. But that's just it: you only ever hear of guys with great makeup or bad makeup. What about the 95% of other guys who have average makeup? They seem to do okay. No one talks about their makeup because it would be odd to do so. But what does "great makeup" get you that the average big leaguer doesn't have? IDK.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Bad news that he'll be our 3B. Terrible news if the left side of our infield ends up being Andujar-Machado.

Good news that we're not trading him. Never understood that. This teams needs to trade their best oWAR player like I need a hole in my head.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bad news that he'll be our 3B. Terrible news if the left side of our infield ends up being Andujar-Machado.

Good news that we're not trading him. Never understood that. This teams needs to trade their best oWAR player like I need a hole in my head.

Hicks is our oWAR leader.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How many mets or Yankees are Johnny hustle? Do you really want to see judge or cespedes busting down the line on every younger and risk tweaking a handing or worse?
Judge hustles pretty much every play, especially in the playoffs. Stanton same thing.

Cespedes is another story.

Anyways, really have no idea what the Yankees will decide to do but i think they come away with either Machado or Harper definitely, as well as Corbin. Happ is a strong possibility because of his ability in the AL East.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Judge hustles pretty much every play, especially in the playoffs. Stanton same thing.

Cespedes is another story.

Anyways, really have no idea what the Yankees will decide to do but i think they come away with either Machado or Harper definitely, as well as Corbin. Happ is a strong possibility because of his ability in the AL East.
Cesp was always hurting his hammies. He had somewhat of a legitimate reason not to bust it out of the box. He could barely play a functional OF without hurting himself. Hopefully the heel surgery relieves his altered gait/stride and it's no longer an issue. Not that he was a huge hustler to begin with, but most guys really aren't, honestly.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also, I want to say, in defense of Joe West (feels bad, man)--I think he made the right call. He certainly justified the call properly after the game, and the replay official was correct to rule as he/she did that there was not enough evidence to overturn his call, but again--I actually think the call was correct to begin with. I see a bunch of dudes, most pressed against the wall, a few with their hands pretty clearly over the wall, and an OFer who at the moment he "would have" made the catch didn't appear to actually be quite at the wall. I'd say it's like 75-25 West was right. I know everyone likes to hate on him because he's a pompous asshole who likes to make himself part of the game, but I think he got it correct.

Reactions: Fossy21

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Also, I want to say, in defense of Joe West (feels bad, man)--I think he made the right call. He certainly justified the call properly after the game, and the replay official was correct to rule as he/she did that there was not enough evidence to overturn his call, but again--I actually think the call was correct to begin with. I see a bunch of dudes, most pressed against the wall, a few with their hands pretty clearly over the wall, and an OFer who at the moment he "would have" made the catch didn't appear to actually be quite at the wall. I'd say it's like 75-25 West was right. I know everyone likes to hate on him because he's a pompous ******* who likes to make himself part of the game, but I think he got it correct.

I feel like that really was a no win call. No matter what he called, people were going to flip out.

And if my team was on either end of that call, I could probably argue it each way.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel like that really was a no win call. No matter what he called, people were going to flip out.

And if my team was on either end of that call, I could probably argue it each way.
Exactly. Either way the call was made, it would be controversial, and either way, it would stand up to video review.

I just happen to think that fat bastard actually got it right. I really wanted for it to be wrong because f*** the Sox and f*** Joe West, but, unfortunately, I see what he saw.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Andujar is probably going to regress offensively next year. There's a season of data and a year of film to look at on him. He swings at too many pitches out of the zone (40%, league average is 30%) and walks at a mere 4% rate. He's going to have to adjust and prove he can lay off but he's got big time upside as a hitter in the majors.

According to BBRef, his bat was 21 Runs above average and his defense was -25 runs below average. What should have been a 5-6 Win season was a 2-3 Win season because of the defense.

Hicks is our oWAR leader.

Besides, oWar takes into account position so you'll get a boost playing a premium position like CF, not the best stat to evaluate a hitter. Andjuar was 2nd in OPS to Judge on this team but as I explained above I think he's gonna drop off until he can lay off stuff out of the zone where teams will really attack him next year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Apparently teams were calling Cash and checking in on Gary

735.gif

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Apparently teams were calling Cash and checking in on Gary

735.gif
I'd take him for the Mets. Playing in Citi, which this year I believe was the most pitcher-friendly park by a decent bit (and is generally bottom-five or so), I think it would be good for him. I think getting out of the spotlight would be good, too. Of course you're still in the spotlight with the Yankees, but at least until the Mets turn it around, it's a lot different in Queens.

He'd be a good option to have compete with Vargas at the back end, loser going to the pen. And also serving as insurance if Wheeler or Matz were to go down with an injury. If the price was right for us, like a 4th OF-type and some C+ prospects, I'd do it. I suspect the Yankees don't want to just give him away, though, especially to the Mets.

EDIT: I see you said Gary. I initially ready it as Gray. My bad.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd take him for the Mets. Playing in Citi, which this year I believe was the most pitcher-friendly park by a decent bit (and is generally bottom-five or so), I think it would be good for him. I think getting out of the spotlight would be good, too. Of course you're still in the spotlight with the Yankees, but at least until the Mets turn it around, it's a lot different in Queens.

He'd be a good option to have compete with Vargas at the back end, loser going to the pen. And also serving as insurance if Wheeler or Matz were to go down with an injury. If the price was right for us, like a 4th OF-type and some C+ prospects, I'd do it. I suspect the Yankees don't want to just give him away, though, especially to the Mets.

EDIT: I see you said Gary. I initially ready it as Gray. My bad.
You're not wrong, though.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He could grow defensively. It doesn't happen that often once guys have made it to the Majors (unless they're like 19 or something), but it could happen.

"Makeup" is such a ridiculous thing, IMO. I mean, if you have terrible makeup, fine, if you're causing all sorts of problems that's obviously not something that you want. But that's just it: you only ever hear of guys with great makeup or bad makeup. What about the 95% of other guys who have average makeup? They seem to do okay. No one talks about their makeup because it would be odd to do so. But what does "great makeup" get you that the average big leaguer doesn't have? IDK.
He has pretty terrible tools as a defender. He should be put in a position defensively where he can hurt he team the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad