OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Machado at 23 - 6.3 WAR

Andujar at 23 - 2.7 WAR

I'd say there was quite a bit of difference.
I was talking about just numbers. Machado's numbers at 23 (his 5th year in the league btw) were batted .294, .876 OPS, 37 hrs, 96 RBIs, 105 runs, 40 doubles, 120 Ks.

Andujar's numbers at the same age, without the benefit of knowing the league the way that Machado had already were: .297 ba, .855 OPS, 27 hrs, 92 RBIs, 83, runs 48 doubles, 97 ks.

War correctly takes a more than just one metric into consideration. However, if Andujar's fielding can just become adequate, his WAR will rise drastically. Look at the offensive production. And that is without the benefit of knowing the league. I am not saying that Andujar is the next Machado, but the Yankees have something in him. What WAR does not measure is the effect of bringing on another $300m on to the team structure.

Reactions: NCRanger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There is no need to add Harper. None.

People complaining about RH bats haven't paid attention. The shift has straight up eaten LH hitters alive. They've targeted RH bats that can take advantage of the short porch in right. Theres a method to their madness and it's one that is clearly the right method.

If Andujar does get traded, it probably wont be for the young controllable arm that we're all seeking. Like I said I expect him to be dangled for a sure thing (Bumgarner.)

They need to add a young controllable arm that they can add to what they already have. Severino will get himself sorted out, the off season+a real pitching coach will do wonders.

I pretty much agree with all of this. f*** Harper.

The only thing is, if they're gonna do the short porch thing, we need a HC that will tell Stanton and Gary to stop trying to yank the ball.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Machado is a fantastic player. I’d love to have him if you can get him on your terms.

He question is whether or not you can justify the difference in what they’re going to be paid the new few years. If you give zero f***s about that, then you sign him and move andujar for an arm. If you’re going to be budget conscious, you have to go about things differently.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I was talking about just numbers. Machado's numbers at 23 (his 5th year in the league btw) were batted .294, .876 OPS, 37 hrs, 96 RBIs, 105 runs, 40 doubles, 120 Ks.

Andujar's numbers at the same age, without the benefit of knowing the league the way that Machado had already were: .297 ba, .855 OPS, 27 hrs, 92 RBIs, 83, runs 48 doubles, 97 ks.

War correctly takes a more than just one metric into consideration. However, if Andujar's fielding can just become adequate, his WAR will rise drastically. Look at the offensive production. And that is without the benefit of knowing the league. I am not saying that Andujar is the next Machado, but the Yankees have something in him. What WAR does not measure is the effect of bringing on another $300m on to the team structure.
That's a massive if. He had an historically bad season defensively. You need to go back to 2011 with Mark Reynolds to find a qualifying third baseman with similar/worse numbers.

Reactions: All Might

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Harper doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to buy into what we need to do.

He strikes me as a 'I'm paid to hit homeruns, peasant" and then proceed to strike out 300 times type of guy.

This team needs another three-outcome hitter like the Rangers need another RHD.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Machado is a fantastic player. I’d love to have him if you can get him on your terms.

He question is whether or not you can justify the difference in what they’re going to be paid the new few years. If you give zero ****s about that, then you sign him and move andujar for an arm. If you’re going to be budget conscious, you have to go about things differently.

He's also steadfast in his conviction that he's a shortstop. So there's that issue too.

Not with Thames coaching then they won't.

All I can think of is "We talkin bout hitting coaches....?" in Allen Iverson's voice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If he's almost soley responsible for the problems of hitting with RISP, why is he not responsible for the success and break out of guys like Voit, Andujar, Hicks, Torres etc?

It's not to say there isn't some good and some bad. The team put up a lot of runs.

But it's been proven that they can't score in the playoffs with the approach they have. You gonna change the approach or you gonna change the whole lineup?

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not sure I would even put Torres in the "good" category.

The first half was brilliant because he was being the hitter he always was - a guy who doesn't really try and hit homers and is a multi-faceted weapon, but can hit them without trying.

Then he got the disease. I don't remember him going opposite way the entire second half.

Reactions: LeetchisGod and RGY

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I also don't get the whole major approach overhaul narrative. People act like they are trying to strike out or hit a home run. That's garbage. They get on base but They havne't gotten enough hits with guys in scoring position that's all. It will be addressed and I'm confident it will be resolved.

Too many typical spoiled Yankee fans. Fans of like 27-28 other teams would absolutely KILL to have the lineup the Yankees have.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I also don't get the whole major approach overhaul narrative. People act like they are trying to strike out or hit a home run. That's garbage. They get on base but They havne't gotten enough hits with guys in scoring position that's all. It will be addressed and I'm confident it will be resolved.

Too many typical spoiled Yankee fans. Fans of like 27-28 other teams would absolutely KILL to have the lineup the Yankees have.
This incredibly wrong...and quite honestly I am not sure how much you truly understand the game of baseball, and that is not me being a jerk.

I say this because the APPROACH is terrible abd has a ton to do with not hitting with runners in scoring position. The philosophy, as I have stated being the foundation for any team that STARTS with the hitting coach, is what needs to change. They don’t change their approach when walking up to the plate with the situation they are hitting in AND they take the same heavy swing in 0 strike count as a 2 strike count. That is the overlying issue. That is why they are so homerun or bust and are killed for it. They dont shorten up their swings and focus on driving a line drive gap to gap when in 2 strike count or even a 1 strike count. No strikes, sure take your best swing, but after that when you need a big hit, you need baserunners to put the pressure on the opposing pitcher and get the momentum going you shorten up your swing and spray the ball. This was no better (or worse) exemplified in that last inning when you watch Stanton, Sanchez, and even Torres all do just this when they needed just a hit to extend the game and the series. They couldnt do it. Only Didi went up there focused on driving a ball for a base hit.

Spoiled? Nope, not spoiled at all. That lineup underperformed and it had the same flaws all season. And I certainly dont blame 9 hitters all making the same mistake/taking the same approach. I blame Thames. Fans of other teams certainly would not kill to have a team that underachieved and is no longer playing baseball in October because they couldnt hit guys over when needed most.

Reactions: NCRanger

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sure, it's all the hitting coach and the players just need to choke up with 2 strikes. It's so easy! I'm done with this argument it will never go anywhere.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's a massive if. He had an historically bad season defensively. You need to go back to 2011 with Mark Reynolds to find a qualifying third baseman with similar/worse numbers.
Yes, but again, he's a rookie and can be taught to at least become adequate.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sure, it's all the hitting coach and the players just need to choke up with 2 strikes. It's so easy! I'm done with this argument it will never go anywhere.
Who said anything about choking up? Thats not what “shortening up” means.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Hopefully Stanton will get tired of the booing and opt his way the hell out of town. I have come to despise him quicker than any other big money acquisition that I can remember.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn't say to give up on him but he was in the minors for 6 seasons. Don't they teach defense there?
Right, of course. And he spent 2 years in the GCL, where before that he's likely at the complex practicing, practicing, practicing. Also given how bad he is I would expect him to have spent time in the instructional leagues. I'm sure he has spent a ton of time on his defense to this point.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

They are trying to hit home-runs. That's the organization's philosophy. That's what they teach their hitters. That home-runs are the most important thing.

This is why I don't think firing Thames changes much.

Baseball has become very analytical. The Yankees as an organization, are at the very top when it comes to this.

They look at computerized numbers before each game, and tell Boone what to do. He's not allowed to deviate from it. Otherwise he will be questioned by Cashman. It's likely why Severino was not taken out after the 3rd inning in game 3. The plan/script told him prior to the game, Severino needs to go 4 innings.

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad