OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There is no reason to think Andujar's defense should improve much if at all. He'll always be a guy right on that cusp of being so good with the bat you live with the extra outs and runs vs a complete liability you have to slide from the position.

If he hits like he did last year and the Yankees don't go after Machado, you'll see him as the everyday 3B and come out in later innings for a defensive replacement if they have the lead. And maybe sit a few days depending on who's pitching for Yankees/other guys. Remember, Boone had to start Neil Walker with CC on the mound for Game 4 (Walker was like 0 for his last 30 in the playoffs) because of the whole defense thing.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
There is no reason to think Andujar's defense should improve much if at all. He'll always be a guy right on that cusp of being so good with the bat you live with the extra outs and runs vs a complete liability you have to slide from the position.

If he hits like he did last year and the Yankees don't go after Machado, you'll see him as the everyday 3B and come out in later innings for a defensive replacement if they have the lead. And maybe sit a few days depending on who's pitching for Yankees/other guys. Remember, Boone had to start Neil Walker with CC on the mound for Game 4 (Walker was like 0 for his last 30 in the playoffs) because of the whole defense thing.
Call me a cynic but I'll speculate that Boone made those changes because Cora made lineup changes the game before and was praised for it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They are trying to hit home-runs. That's the organization's philosophy. That's what they teach their hitters. That home-runs are the most important thing.

This is why I don't think firing Thames changes much.

Baseball has become very analytical. The Yankees as an organization, are at the very top when it comes to this.

They look at computerized numbers before each game, and tell Boone what to do. He's not allowed to deviate from it. Otherwise he will be questioned by Cashman. It's likely why Severino was not taken out after the 3rd inning in game 3. The plan/script told him prior to the game, Severino needs to go 4 innings.
I don't buy Boone being shackled up by the FO. If anything the numbers would dictate Severino coming out earlier, not later.

Analytics departments don't produce scripts for games. That's absurd. The whole point of advanced analytics is to leverage the available information to make decisions that are most likely to produce the desired result. A game script defeats the purpose of even having advanced analytics available. A script would be something proposed by someone who literally doesn't care about analytics.

I mean I knew this was going to be sketchy when you said, "they look at computerized numbers," but then the rest of what you said is ludicrous. Not even a shred of an idea as to how analytics are used.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Call me a cynic but I'll speculate that Boone made those changes because Cora made lineup changes the game before and was praised for it.

That, Facing a RHP in Porcello and having CC on the mound who generates a lot of ground balls to the 3rd base side of the infield probably all played a factor.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I don't buy Boone being shackled up by the FO. If anything the numbers would dictate Severino coming out earlier, not later.

Analytics departments don't produce scripts for games. That's absurd. The whole point of advanced analytics is to leverage the available information to make decisions that are most likely to produce the desired result. A game script defeats the purpose of even having advanced analytics available. A script would be something proposed by someone who literally doesn't care about analytics.

I mean I knew this was going to be sketchy when you said, "they look at computerized numbers," but then the rest of what you said is ludicrous. Not even a shred of an idea as to how analytics are used.

You not buying into it, doesn't change what's going on.

Cashman:

Part of maintaining that new culture is fighting fiercely to protect it, Cashman said last week before the wild card game. From his perspective, that means having difficult conversations. Speaking generally, he used interactions with his manager and coaching staff as an example.

“If a coach or a manager decides to do something with the lineup, or pitch usage, or play one player versus another, and if that comes at the expense of your philosophy or runs counter to your philosophy, then you’ve got to call that coach or manager on the carpet,” Cashman said. “Versus, ‘ah, let it slide.’ You can’t let things slide. You have to constantly reinforce and educate and do battle with it. You also challenge them.”

Indeed, Cashman can’t let this slide. One bad decision in a critical game counts as a bad night. But compounding that mistake with another egregious miscalculation just 24 hours later signals a larger problem. How the Yankees react will be telling.

Carig: Why Aaron Boone’s postseason managerial missteps...

The "philosophy" he's referring to is analytics.

Girardi is no longer here cause he managed with his 'gut' at times. Going against what Cashman and his analytic team wanted.

Teams are no longer hiring those type of managers. It's all young inexperienced managers that don't mind being puppets. (some are puppets to different degrees)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You not buying into it, doesn't change what's going on.

Cashman:

Part of maintaining that new culture is fighting fiercely to protect it, Cashman said last week before the wild card game. From his perspective, that means having difficult conversations. Speaking generally, he used interactions with his manager and coaching staff as an example.

“If a coach or a manager decides to do something with the lineup, or pitch usage, or play one player versus another, and if that comes at the expense of your philosophy or runs counter to your philosophy, then you’ve got to call that coach or manager on the carpet,” Cashman said. “Versus, ‘ah, let it slide.’ You can’t let things slide. You have to constantly reinforce and educate and do battle with it. You also challenge them.”

Indeed, Cashman can’t let this slide. One bad decision in a critical game counts as a bad night. But compounding that mistake with another egregious miscalculation just 24 hours later signals a larger problem. How the Yankees react will be telling.

Carig: Why Aaron Boone’s postseason managerial missteps...

The "philosophy" he's referring to is analytics.

Girardi is no longer here cause he managed with his 'gut' at times. Going against what Cashman and his analytic team wanted.

Teams are no longer hiring those type of managers. It's all young inexperienced managers that don't mind being puppets. (some are puppets to different degrees)
...okay...

I was pointing out the flaws in your understanding of advanced analytics and how they would be used. You threw it out there that Cashman would be upset if Boone pulled Severino too early; my point is that scenario is the exact opposite approach Cashman would take. If the probabilities called for Severino to come out, then Cashman would want him to come out. You say that Cashman decided beforehand that Severino "must" pitch 3 or 4 innings; anyone even remotely analytically inclined would never establish before a game that a pitcher "must" pitch a certain amount of innings. An analytics guy would want his manager to evaluate each situation as it developed, go to the pen early, and play the matchups. Not stick with him for an arbitrary number of innings.

The whole idea of some computer spitting out numbers before a game, producing some sort of "plan" is just crazy. The computers spit out data that then must be interpreted and applied by a human. I mean, have you seen Gabe Kapler, perhaps the most analytically-inclined manager the game has ever seen? When he's pinch hitting guys in the second inning or pulling good pitchers after 4 innings, do you think that's something that was determined before the game? Because it's not. He's making decisions real-time based on the data that his team has given to him. That's the whole point--leveraging the data batter to batter to make the best decision. The concept of some pre-planned script just runs contrary to the very foundation of analytics.

So, sure, I have no doubt that Cashman and Boone don't see eye-to-eye on everything. I'm sure Cashman wasn't thrilled with Severino being left in to load the bases (left in too long, not pulled too soon, as you argued). But again, this idea of guys being puppets, there only to implement the game plan, that's ludicrous. Like Kapler, Cash, Lovullo, etc., are operating on some script dictated by the front office before each game? I mean...come on.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
This incredibly wrong...and quite honestly I am not sure how much you truly understand the game of baseball, and that is not me being a jerk.

I say this because the APPROACH is terrible abd has a ton to do with not hitting with runners in scoring position. The philosophy, as I have stated being the foundation for any team that STARTS with the hitting coach, is what needs to change. They don’t change their approach when walking up to the plate with the situation they are hitting in AND they take the same heavy swing in 0 strike count as a 2 strike count. That is the overlying issue. That is why they are so homerun or bust and are killed for it. They dont shorten up their swings and focus on driving a line drive gap to gap when in 2 strike count or even a 1 strike count. No strikes, sure take your best swing, but after that when you need a big hit, you need baserunners to put the pressure on the opposing pitcher and get the momentum going you shorten up your swing and spray the ball. This was no better (or worse) exemplified in that last inning when you watch Stanton, Sanchez, and even Torres all do just this when they needed just a hit to extend the game and the series. They couldnt do it. Only Didi went up there focused on driving a ball for a base hit.

Spoiled? Nope, not spoiled at all. That lineup underperformed and it had the same flaws all season. And I certainly dont blame 9 hitters all making the same mistake/taking the same approach. I blame Thames. Fans of other teams certainly would not kill to have a team that underachieved and is no longer playing baseball in October because they couldnt hit guys over when needed most.

Yep. This is a big problem. Our GM is HEAVY into the home-run ball. That's what's most important to him. I'm telling you guys. Batting average has been devalued.
Why do you think he traded for Stanton instead of going for J.D Martinez?

The Red Sox and the Astros are into analytics too but they are not so far gone with it like Cashman is. They still value putting the ball in play/contact, stolen bases and batting average. Both of those teams hit with RISP.
Cora is also allowed to at times, to ignore what the numbers say and go on gut.

Marcus Thames is just preaching what Cashman wants.

Torres is the only one that will shorten up his swing with two strikes. But I think they have him to trying to hit more homers now. I followed him when he was in the minors. He was not a big pull hitter. More of a spray the ball to all fields. As soon as he came up, he somewhat abandoned that approach and started pulling a lot. Which resulted in what they wanted....more homers.

Notice too how Sanchez approach for entire season was to try to yank the ball out seemingly every at-bat?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They are trying to hit home-runs. That's the organization's philosophy. That's what they teach their hitters. That home-runs are the most important thing.

This is why I don't think firing Thames changes much.

Baseball has become very analytical. The Yankees as an organization, are at the very top when it comes to this.

They look at computerized numbers before each game, and tell Boone what to do. He's not allowed to deviate from it. Otherwise he will be questioned by Cashman. It's likely why Severino was not taken out after the 3rd inning in game 3. The plan/script told him prior to the game, Severino needs to go 4 innings.
I get why the analytics favor homeruns. Over large samples, they're by far the easiest form of run creation. There's nothing wrong with hitting them.

That said, you shouldn't be totally helpless in a sample of one at-bat where you should be able to do something else. The Yankees are totally lost.

Baseball is unique in that it has static, isolated situations. While analytics do a great job of painting a 162 game picture and should be noted, your team should be prepared to do something very specific in the 8th inning of game 97.

We're not prepared. We don't adapt to situations. We only look at the big picture.

The playoffs are a tiny sample. That's why you have a team that wins 100 games that some posters never considered a real threat.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Harper doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to buy into what we need to do.

He strikes me as a 'I'm paid to hit homeruns, peasant" and then proceed to strike out 300 times type of guy.

This team needs another three-outcome hitter like the Rangers need another RHD.

This year Harper walked more and struck out less than Judge. Just saying.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This year Harper walked more and struck out less than Judge. Just saying.

He'll take one look at right field and that'll be the end of him walking.

While I question some parts of the team's philosophy, I understand why they want to be right-handed.

Reactions: ponzu4u

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He's also steadfast in his conviction that he's a shortstop. So there's that issue too.

All I can think of is "We talkin bout hitting coaches....?" in Allen Iverson's voice.

Premium shortstops get paid more than premium 3rd basemen. The moment Machado gets the extension he's looking for he'll be happy to move to 3B.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kershaw+bumgarner for the ultimate lulz.

Id stay away from Shaw though. Sooo many miles on that arm
Terrified of handing Kershaw a contract. He is 30 years old right now. Normally I’d be ok with that, but with his history of back problems and the miles on his arm, that has all the makings of being another Ellsbury type contract disaster.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd offer Kershaw huge money but for like three years, maybe with like some sort of IP kicker that extends to four.

That said, he's from Texas and has played in LA forever. Not sure he'd even want to come to the East Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad