OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I really think he's capable of playing an average 2B in the bigs. If he can do that, his bat could be good for 3-4 WAR annually at that position--which is actually a relatively significant improvement over Murph.

It's a super small sample size, but Fangraphs actually likes Flores better at shortstop than second base.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
It's a super small sample size, but Fangraphs actually likes Flores better at shortstop than second base.

SSS theater, I don't think Flores is a marginally + SS.

However, if he can be marginally negative while bringing a 770 or more OPS, gotta take it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
****ing Cano.

Good for Bartolo though. Well, good for the Mets. Keep driving that value up, Bartolo!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I just don't see how that could continue over a decent sample size. Range is going to be his issue, and that's more of a problem at SS than 2B.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I just don't see how that could continue over a decent sample size. Range is going to be his issue, and that's more of a problem at SS than 2B.

Ok, but we have Herrera who can both hit and play second base. I don't really see where Flores fits here.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Francesa was going on about how the Mets rotation should be good enough to win 90 games next year provided they add a big bad in LF. The question becomes, who will be available in the offseason, and what do we trade?

Assume that we trade Colon at the deadline or at the Winter Meetings for prospects. Next year we have Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, deGrom, Syndergaard, Gee, Montero and Matz that are or will be near Major League ready. I'm fine with packing Gee and Montero and going with a young rotation of Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, deGrom and Syndergaard. The question is, who is available? And will a package of Gee (probably a #4) and Montero (a prospect with #4 upside) be enough to get an impact bat?

Stanton is not realistic. Neither is Carlos Gonzalez. The Mets aren't picking up Tulowitzki for a huge package and $120 million left on his deal. Any other ideas?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Francesa was going on about how the Mets rotation should be good enough to win 90 games next year provided they add a big bad in LF. The question becomes, who will be available in the offseason, and what do we trade?

Assume that we trade Colon at the deadline or at the Winter Meetings for prospects. Next year we have Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, deGrom, Syndergaard, Gee, Montero and Matz that are or will be near Major League ready. I'm fine with packing Gee and Montero and going with a young rotation of Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, deGrom and Syndergaard. The question is, who is available? And will a package of Gee (probably a #4) and Montero (a prospect with #4 upside) be enough to get an impact bat?

Stanton is not realistic. Neither is Carlos Gonzalez. The Mets aren't picking up Tulowitzki for a huge package and $120 million left on his deal. Any other ideas?

I think the league is really starved for offense right now and the Mets might be stuck bargain hunting unless the Cubs decide to move one of their guys. The free agent market is pretty barren.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There's not much out there. Nelson Cruz will be back on the market, but after his awesome season he'll probably be looking for some ridiculous multi-year deal. After him, you're looking at an old guy like Cuddyer or gambling on someone like Rasmus. Mike Morse is a potentially interesting name.

If the Mets want to make a splash, they should sign that Cuban kid Tomas. They say his power grades out as a 70, which is insane.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I think the league is really starved for offense right now and the Mets might be stuck bargain hunting unless the Cubs decide to move one of their guys. The free agent market is pretty barren.

No question about it, it's a pitchers league. In 2010 the Giants won the World Series with Aubrey Huff as their biggest hitting threat. But that's a risk to rely solely on pitching in the event that Harvey has complications from surgery, Syndergaard doesn't pan out, etc.

The Mets and Cubs make perfect trade partners. They won't move Bryant or Baez, but if Castro is on the outs in the offseason, that'd be a big bat.

I think as of now, with the projected rotation and the current lineup without any major changes, can win about 83-85 games next year. But that's not going to cut it, even as a 2nd Wild Card. The key is to find that bat that can add an extra 5 or so wins and can push the Mets into the 90 range.

There's not much out there. Nelson Cruz will be back on the market, but after his awesome season he'll probably be looking for some ridiculous multi-year deal. After him, you're looking at an old guy like Cuddyer or gambling on someone like Rasmus. Mike Morse is a potentially interesting name.

If the Mets want to make a splash, they should sign that Cuban kid Tomas. They say his power grades out as a 70, which is insane.

Cruz was my guy last offseason. The Mets should have brought him in (especially for .75M more than Chris Young), but now, like you said I can see him looking for 3/39 similar to Victorino's deal in Boston.

I like Mike Morse. Say you throw 3 years and 30 million at Morse. Doable because Colon is making 11 Million next year and he will be dealt. Rasmus won't be a FA unless the Jays decide to part with him, and he's hitting .218. No thanks.

But say you get a guy like Morse. Maybe he pushes the Mets into a the 86-88 range. Still not good enough, IMO.

This would be your lineup:

Granderson RF
Murphy 2B
Wright 3B
Morse LF
(ideally, provided he takes the next step) D'Arnaud C
Duda 1B
Lagares/E. Young CF
Tejada SS

I don't think that's a playoff lineup. This organization desperately needs an even average SS. Tejada is just awful.

I'm all for Tomas. Need some power on this club.

BarbaraAlphanse

I saw that power grade and was super excited myself. Then I did some digging.

He is no where near the same batter as Puig, Cespedes, or Abreu. No where. He's not even in the same stratosphere as the 3 aforementioned players. His stats in Cuba are significantly worse than all 3 (when they all played there).

He's going to be an overwhelming disappointment with all the buzz that Abreu got and the results that Abreu is posting.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
I saw that power grade and was super excited myself. Then I did some digging.

He is no where near the same batter as Puig, Cespedes, or Abreu. No where. He's not even in the same stratosphere as the 3 aforementioned players. His stats in Cuba are significantly worse than all 3 (when they all played there).

He's going to be an overwhelming disappointment with all the buzz that Abreu got and the results that Abreu is posting.

He doesn't need to be Puig, Cespedes or Abreu to be a significant addition to the Mets lineup.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Fat world of good is 70 power going to do if you cant put a barrel on the ball. Look at Willy Mo Pena, he had crazy power but couldn't handle breaking pitches.

BarbaraAlphanse

The Mets need to find a steal, not make a big splash.

There are no corner OF's that entice me in the FA market this year. Maybe Morse. Maybe, and he's not what we need.

There would be absolutely no way that we got Giancarlo. It's like if Philly was to trade us Giroux. Not happening.

I'd stay away from CarGo like the plague. He's batting like .218 away and like .350 at Coors Field.

Tulo's splits are similar.

Can Profar be traded for? Could you get Francisco Lindor? Joc Pederson? Etc.

BarbaraAlphanse

He doesn't need to be Puig, Cespedes or Abreu to be a significant addition to the Mets lineup.

If we're investing 5 years in him and blocking Conforto and Nimmo... he sure as hell be pretty good.

A lot of scouts are projecting .240-.250 w/ 12-15 hrs best case scenario.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If we're investing 5 years in him and blocking Conforto and Nimmo... he sure as hell be pretty good.

A lot of scouts are projecting .240-.250 w/ 12-15 hrs best case scenario.

For Nimmo? He's a guy that'll hit for high batting average and get on base at a very good clip. Lack of pop is his weakness but he if sticks at CF you take a high OBP guy with low teens HRs any day.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
The Mets need to find a steal, not make a big splash.

There are no corner OF's that entice me in the FA market this year. Maybe Morse. Maybe, and he's not what we need.

There would be absolutely no way that we got Giancarlo. It's like if Philly was to trade us Giroux. Not happening.

I'd stay away from CarGo like the plague. He's batting like .218 away and like .350 at Coors Field.

Tulo's splits are similar.

Can Profar be traded for? Could you get Francisco Lindor? Joc Pederson? Etc.

Morse is a 20-25 HR guy in a full year. He hit 31 when he played 146 games. I think for Colon's salary, I'd pull the trigger. He's also a .280 career hitter, which fits in fine in our 4-5 spot in the lineup.

I'm all for finding a steal, which gets back to the Cubs point. We need to flip a pitching prospect for a hitter. I don't see why LA would trade Pederson for a pitching prospect with that rotation.

Maybe buy low on Ethier? He has 3 years left, but maybe LA eats some of his salary. Kemp has far too much money coming to him, even if the Dodgers retained money.

But I agree, the Mets need to get creative.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Nelson Cruz wants a 1 or 2 year deal you definitely consider him. Stopgap. I think he chases 4 or 5 year deal.

BarbaraAlphanse

For Nimmo? He's a guy that'll hit for high batting average and get on base at a very good clip. Lack of pop is his weakness but he if sticks at CF you take a high OBP guy with low teens HRs any day.

For Tomas.

For Nimmo, early projections seem to be .280-.310, eventually getting 20-25 hrs once he builds his frame.

By all accounts, Nimmo seems to be a blue chip prospect. He's in the top 50 in Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America, and ESPN's mid-season top prospects list. I believe 44, 46, 36, respectively? Might be a few slots off on one of those.

Conforto has a 20-30 hr projection with a much lower average. Something like .250-.265. Bigger power ceiling, though.

BarbaraAlphanse

Morse is a 20-25 HR guy in a full year. He hit 31 when he played 146 games. I think for Colon's salary, I'd pull the trigger. He's also a .280 career hitter, which fits in fine in our 4-5 spot in the lineup.

I'm all for finding a steal, which gets back to the Cubs point. We need to flip a pitching prospect for a hitter. I don't see why LA would trade Pederson for a pitching prospect with that rotation.

Maybe buy low on Ethier? He has 3 years left, but maybe LA eats some of his salary. Kemp has far too much money coming to him, even if the Dodgers retained money.

But I agree, the Mets need to get creative.

Pederson is blocked. Profar had a season ending injury and was a disappointment (which was to be expected at that age). Lindor is still a year away.

There have to be more prospects with unideal situations. Guys that are blocked or that teams have soured on.

BarbaraAlphanse

A guy who is flying under the radar by everyone. Last year's 1st round pick, Dom Smith.

Guy will be a stud.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
For Tomas.

For Nimmo, early projections seem to be .280-.310, eventually getting 20-25 hrs once he builds his frame.

By all accounts, Nimmo seems to be a blue chip prospect. He's in the top 50 in Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America, and ESPN's mid-season top prospects list. I believe 44, 46, 36, respectively? Might be a few slots off on one of those.

Conforto has a 20-30 hr projection with a much lower average. Something like .250-.265. Bigger power ceiling, though.

Agree on Conforto. 30 HR pop but some contact issues.

I don't think Nimmo ever turns into a 25 HR guy. More like a 10-15 HR guy who makes a living of getting on the base. If he sticks at CF that's a pretty darn good player.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lindor is a pipe dream. He just got promoted to AAA and should get a look at majors this season. Why would Indians trade him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad