OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Wow Ron Darling was completely wrong the other day on Francessa he said in no way will be Colon be traded and at 41 nobody will want to pay him 11m..I thought Ronnie was dialed in but he's wrong on this one..He also said stay away from Castro and get Baez?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think that we need to trade for a SS.

Ruben has been batting .266 these last couple of weeks. Even if he's batting in the neighborhood of .240, i'd be OK with it because of the defensive support that we're getting from him.

Gregorious, by all accounts, is an even worse batter than Tejada - if that's possible.

I don't know about that. Gregorius has hit significantly better at every stop throughout the minors, and his career MLB OPS is 60 points higher than Tejada's. They're both pretty similar offensively, though Gregorius has more pop--he already has 7 XBH in 83 ABs in the big this year, whereas Tejada has 10 in 245 ABs. Tejada has been really good defensively, though, and certainly more so than Gregorius who has been average.

I wouldn't want to give up a lot for Gregorius, either. Just someone to consider if the organization decides that Ruben is too erratic offensively.

BarbaraAlphanse

Wow Ron Darling was completely wrong the other day on Francessa he said in no way will be Colon be traded and at 41 nobody will want to pay him 11m..I thought Ronnie was dialed in but he's wrong on this one..He also said stay away from Castro and get Baez?

I respect Darling, and think he knows what he's talking about a lot of the time... but Keith seems much more in tune with talent evaluation and what the team should do.

I feel that more people take Darling seriously because of his professional demeanor, while Keith can rip crude jokes and lose credibly through his personality... but Keith seems like the better of the two to listen to in terms of projecting MLB talent.

I wonder what he has to say about what the Mets should do. I know he loves Wheeler, deGrom, and TdA, at the very least.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't know about that. Gregorius has hit significantly better at every stop throughout the minors, and his career MLB OPS is 60 points higher than Tejada's. They're both pretty similar offensively, though Gregorius has more pop--he already has 7 XBH in 83 ABs in the big this year, whereas Tejada has 10 in 245 ABs. Tejada has been really good defensively, though, and certainly more so than Gregorius who has been average.

I wouldn't want to give up a lot for Gregorius, either. Just someone to consider if the organization decides that Ruben is too erratic offensively.

Wish we had pounced on Owings during the offseason.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not the best of times for NYC baseball, thats for sure.

The Yankees continue to throw money at problems and field teams that are tougher and tougher to root for each year.

The Mets have been selling their fans on prospects since Sandy took over. Its been a few years now, wheres the results?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

The Yankees continue to throw money at problems and field teams that are tougher and tougher to root for each year.

The Mets have been selling their fans on prospects since Sandy took over. Its been a few years now, wheres the results?

They are coming. Very close most of them. I'd say when he started, most of the guys we had were far off and there were few and far between. The crop that made it from before Alderson were Duda and the bullpen guys like Mejia and Familia. The guys coming now are his building blocks. The team is in position to add major league talent, yet not kill the farm. There is something to say about that. Also, the on field product is close but is vastly inconsistent. Can lose 7 or 9, then win 7 of 9, like we see now. This team somewhat is similar to the 05 Mets. Need to add a couple pieces for a run.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They are coming. Very close most of them. I'd say when he started, most of the guys we had were far off and there were few and far between. The crop that made it from before Alderson were Duda and the bullpen guys like Mejia and Familia. The guys coming now are his building blocks. The team is in position to add major league talent, yet not kill the farm. There is something to say about that. Also, the on field product is close but is vastly inconsistent. Can lose 7 or 9, then win 7 of 9, like we see now. This team somewhat is similar to the 05 Mets. Need to add a couple pieces for a run.

We'll see.

Im a Yankee fan, but despite both teams not doing too well in the standings, I am a bit jealous that the Mets at least provide a little bit of hope.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net

The Mets are a lot more set up for long term success than they have at any other point of my life. The Mets are gluttonous with starting pitching. A look at the young starters and ages next year of the staff.

Harvey (25) - 2.39 ERA 261 Ks in 237 IP
Niese (28) - 3.87 ERA - having a career year so far this year with a 2.97 ERA
Wheeler (25) - 3.67 ERA
Gee (28) - 3.75 ERA - 3.38 ERA last 2 years
DeGrom (26) - 3.18 ERA MLB - 2.58 ERA AAA
Syndergaard (22) - 5.31 ERA AAA, 7-4 record, widely regarded as a top prospect
Montero (25) - 5.40 ERA MLB, 3.75 AAA
Matz (23) - 3.00 ERA AA, 2.21 A+

Leathersich (25) - 2.56 67 K's in 38 IP AA

The position prospects are promising as well.
MLB:
C D'Arnaud (26)- hasn't hit yet, but he will. Too much evidence.
CF Lagares (25) - plus defender, beginning to hit, needs to improve plate discipline
AAA:
C Plawecki (25) - hit .326 with 46 RBIs in 58 AA games, promoted to AAA recently
IF Flores (23) - hasn't hit yet at majors but like D'Arnaud lots of evidence to say he will. .326 at AAA
IF/OF Campbell (27) - late bloomer who hit .314 and a .435 OBP at AAA last year and .355/.442 this year at AAA. Promoted to the Mets he's continued to hit .340/.386 in 103 ABs. Has played every position and is a minor league career .980 fielding percentage
AA:
2B Herrera (22) hit .307/.355 at A+ and continued hitting at AA hitting .326/.398
SS Reynolds (25) - hit .355/.430 at AA and has continued at AAA hitting .337/.389
CF Nimmo (22) - hit .322//448 at A+ and has been promoted to AA

The Mets are in good shape going forward. I'd like to see them give some of these guys a real chance in the second half of this year. Tejada is not the answer at SS and I'd like them to bring up Reynolds and give him a real shot there. All that guy does is hit. Also, give Campbell a position LF? and let him play everyday.

The Mets need to figure out where they need to improve and where they don't. 1B, LF, and SS all need to be significantly improved. The Bullpen needs significant help.

But the results are coming. I expect to be a playoff team next year.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hard to argue with you there, but Sandy has taken the necessary steps to try and give this franchise not only a good team but sustained success for years to come.

That path always has to begin with the foundation first. He reconstructed the make of this franchise from the bottom up.

Is it troubling that the Mets don't spend money that should be indicative of their market and their net worth? Absolutely. But if you look at his moves in a vacuum, he cut payroll on a team that wasn't going to be successful for years, restocked their farm, created a winning environment in every minor league affiliate, and has done a hell of a job developing most of these guys.

It's what we hope Sather has done w/ Hfd this year. Provide a winning environment for our prospects so that when they come up they're not only prepared to handle big league duties but also have a winning mentality.

Whats more is that I think his vision aligns with what you would do in a similar situation.

Yankees seem to have gone on to do exactly what you stand against, and that is mindlessy throw bushels of money at players in hopes to bandaid their problems.

Conceivably, with just 1 big trade, the Mets could continue playing well and find a way into the WC this year... if not take this lack luster division by surprise. But even if they do that, the future still looks very very bright.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Michael Conforto is joining the Cyclones this weekend. Gotta get down to a game and watch him play because he may not be there for long.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Jeter up at bat. The "Derek Jeter" chants die out and he takes the first pitch. In between the first and second pitch, you hear a guy chanting:

"OVERRATED!"

Then Jeter smashes a double down the right field line :nod:

Don't like baseball at all, but man, you gotta re2pect the Jeets :yo:

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Wont be cheap.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He's also not having the greatest of seasons. Struggling in the PCL, a notorious hitter's league, is a bit worrisome for a guy supposed to be a future stud.

Horrible start to the season. He's been much better lately.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I'd trade Wheeler for Castro straight up. Wheeler is way too inconsistent. You can't start labeling him a front end starter til he proves he can be consistent.

:laugh:

Mets fans are the most impatient, self-deprecating bunch of people that I've ever encountered. Yeah, he has to be more consistent. It's his second season. Give it time.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
:laugh:

Mets fans are the most impatient, self-deprecating bunch of people that I've ever encountered. Yeah, he has to be more consistent. It's his second season. Give it time.

That'd be a pretty fair deal. If anything it would favor the Mets. And I'm not a big Castro fan either, but he has a ton of value.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
That'd be a pretty fair deal. If anything it would favor the Mets. And I'm not a big Castro fan either, but he has a ton of value.

Wasn't really making a comment as to the value, but rather how quickly some fans are to abandon the rotation of the future that they were having wet dreams about just this past off season.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
But the grass is always greener, I suppose.

We need a shorstop and Castro is young, excellent, and cost controlled. I'd prefer a guy who walks more, but there's no denying he'd be a huge upgrade.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But the grass is always greener, I suppose.

Well a big part of the reason that people are now willing to consider moving Wheeler is the emergence of deGrom and the great season (to date) for Steven Matz.

Part of "the plan," at least from the perspective of fans, has always been to trade some of the surplus pitching for a stud OF or great young infielder. So I don't really see proposals that include Wheeler as surprising or in any way unreasonable.

Harvey
Wheeler
Niese
Gee
Syndergaard
deGrom
Montero
Matz

Those are all guys with great value, either as established starters or prospects. Someone is going to have to be moved eventually.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Well a big part of the reason that people are now willing to consider moving Wheeler is the emergence of deGrom and the great season (to date) for Steven Matz.

Part of "the plan," at least from the perspective of fans, has always been to trade some of the surplus pitching for a stud OF or great young infielder. So I don't really see proposals that include Wheeler as surprising or in any way unreasonable.

Harvey
Wheeler
Niese
Gee
Syndergaard
deGrom
Montero
Matz

Those are all guys with great value, either as established starters or prospects. Someone is going to have to be moved eventually.

Those are the two I'm most willing to include in trades. I guess Niese's injury history is a mark against him, but a cost-controlled lefty is a valuable asset.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think in the offseason, if you can get someone like Castro or Tulowitzki, for a package of Gee, the prospect that Colon nets, and someone like Wilmer Flores... you absolutely have to do it.

Gee is dependable and cost controlled. I like him in our rotation, but if trading him means we can get back a big bat... i'm willing to do that trade 10 times out of 10.

We would still have Harvey Wheeler Niese deGrom and one of Syndergaard, Montero, or Matz.

That being said, I think a big topic of discussion next year will be if the Mets begin using a 6 man rotation.

I think whichever team begins using it will revolutionize baseball. Something needs to be done about these injuries to pitchers and a 6 man rotation could significantly decrease injuries to young players.

If the Mets were to go to a 6 man rotation, trading Gee wouldn't/shouldn't really be in the cards.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Those are the two I'm most willing to include in trades. I guess Niese's injury history is a mark against him, but a cost-controlled lefty is a valuable asset.

I think need to keep Gee as he gives the Mets a different look fromHarvey, Wheeler and Syndergaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad