OT: MLB 2020 Discussion Opening Day and beyond

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
"It's a beautiful day for a ballgame. Let's play two today!" -Ernie Banks

the doubleheader catch up "postponed" games vs the cards just started…

….crank 'em

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As if the Mets season wasn't bad enough

Guess the Subway Series this weekend is going to be a wash.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Mets were just starting to play better too. So yeah, par for the course. If these tests were taken Monday-Wednesday, whoever is positive was positive before they got to Florida.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Mets deserve the Benny Hill theme after being shut out twice by the Marlins, capped off by the eighth inning when they made Jon Berti look like Jackie Robinson and themselves look like the Bad News Bears in their first game.

Reactions: Bleedred

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
I'd have traded the doubleheader win yesterday TO GET the Cohen news. Both on the same day? A rare exciting day to be a Mets fan.
As long as Harris & Blitzer didn't buy the Mets, I would be okay. This is what we all wanted as Mets fans. Let's hope Cohen is able to rid this stench in Flushing Queens into a viable franchise which wins more consistently

Reactions: tr83

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Edwin Diaz cant be gone fast enough - dude is the worst pitcher I have ever seen

Cohen needs to clean house of the entire organization - everyone from the GM to the tech guy

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
God, Seaver passing stings. I never got to see him pitch, but watching old games and footage and then looking at where he ranks in almost every major pitching statistic post World War II, there's a case to be made that he's the greatest right-hander to ever start a MLB game.

I always view Seaver through the prism of how it must've been to watch him burst onto the scene from my dad's point of view. My dad comes from a family of first generation Sicilian immigrants and their children, most of whom were National League fans, but with the Giants and Dodgers gone after 1957 dad could've easily become a Yankees fan; after all, he was 8-9 years old when the Maris/Mantle home run chase was happening and the Yankees won the '61 World Series. And while dad did love Mantle, he still immediately embraced the Mets when they started the next year...and got to put up with years of losing in return.

But Tom Seaver appearing in '67 was the first big sign that that faith was going to be rewarded, and by 1969 the Miracle Mets happened, with Seaver leading the way. Makes me feel a little bit better about growing up and having to tolerate all the Wilpon-related nonsense I've seen as a Mets fan. But what really sucks here is that Seaver's death was announced on my dad's birthday; just another kick from a year that's been crappy for everybody, tearing a chunk of his youth away like that.

Still, I'm probably going to get on YouTube and find some old games to watch, like Seaver's return to the Mets on Opening Day 1983. Hard to fathom a pitcher that great for so long, and harder to fathom what he meant to generations of fans; the Devils equivalent is the connection so many of us felt with Marty, both because of his in-game performance and what he represented for the franchise as a whole.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The fact the Brewers made the playoffs at 29-31 and the Mets couldn't even match that makes them even more pathetic. Thank goodness the new ownership is about to wipe out the stench of the Wilpons at least.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What a game last night.

Incredible that the most reliable Yankees on the entire roster are DJ LeMahieu and Gio Urshela. But holy shit do I love them.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Brosseau of all people hitting the HR off Chapman...that script would have gotten thrown out in Hollywood given that infamous buzzball incident earlier in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad