OT: MLB 2020 Discussion Opening Day and beyond

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Ive tried getting into baseball but man oh man does it seem like a dying sport

This whole Astros debacle really makes it hard for me to care much. If a team can cheat, win a Championship, and get away with it scotch-free - what kind of sport is that??

Baseball, America’s past time - or is it just cheating is America’s past time? Lol

Reactions: tr83

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Baseball isn’t the easiest sport to enjoy as a neutral.

A big part of it is getting behind a team. You see it with ratings. Baseball does well locally, but the national broadcasts generally struggle.

MLB seems to be trying to emulate the NBA in selling players more then teams nationally. Get neutral fans to become fans of a player and want to follow that way.

The Astros scandal was a bad black eye though and Manfred did a bad job handing out punishment.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well it's just too many games to watch if you don't have your own team, and if you do have your own team there's a game almost every night so you're not likely going to stay up after a Mets or Yankees game to watch a rando Giants-Diamondbacks contest. You're also not going to watch Sunday Night baseball with A-Rod doing the telecasts when there could be NBA/NHL playoffs on, football in September, even other popular cable TV shows.

Sadly this Astros thing might actually bring MORE eyeballs to the set, with the old contreversy sells, having a heel everyone can hate sells mentality. Especially since people want to see beanbrawls and fights as much as baseball doesn't want that to happen or market it, there will be some given how much vitriol players like Bellinger are throwing the Astros' way.

Houston didn't do themselves any favors with their arrogant presser where they showed zero real contrition even to the guys who got fired because of it.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Well it's just too many games to watch if you don't have your own team, and if you do have your own team there's a game almost every night so you're not likely going to stay up after a Mets or Yankees game to watch a rando Giants-Diamondbacks contest. You're also not going to watch Sunday Night baseball with A-Rod doing the telecasts when there could be NBA/NHL playoffs on, football in September, even other popular cable TV shows.

Sadly this Astros thing might actually bring MORE eyeballs to the set, with the old contreversy sells, having a heel everyone can hate sells mentality. Especially since people want to see beanbrawls and fights as much as baseball doesn't want that to happen or market it, there will be some given how much vitriol players like Bellinger are throwing the Astros' way.

Houston didn't do themselves any favors with their arrogant presser where they showed zero real contrition even to the guys who got fired because of it.

Sadly, I think you're right. And without going off on a forbidden tangent, it seems that society will just shrug its shoulders in apathy and continue to watch because "it's part of my routine."

In the perfect world, fans would make MLB by boycotting it until Manfred resigns, the Astros owner is forced to sell the team, and every single player and coach on that Astros team is banned for life.

Reactions: StvBroDan

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
NYY Severino needs Tommy John surgery. Just when I thought I could drown my devils sorrow in a great Yankee team, they go and ruin it for me.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The original depth of the Yanks starting pitching is being tested already. I believe we have a young pup or two that is near ready and may be called upon. Maybe there is a trade for a vet starter?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Do they consider pulling the plug on Severino next year as a starter and just leaving him in the bullpen? This is now two straight years he's mostly been out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No reason just to have this as one fifteen-post thread, we can use it for the whole season and just adjust the title when it gets to the regular season.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
No reason just to have this as one fifteen-post thread, we can use it for the whole season and just adjust the title when it gets to the regular season.
Well if 83 doesn't want It let me know.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Watching the Yankee game today was a friggin joke. Watching a player talking on the field instead of the dam game.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Houston Astros probably released this virus so there will be no people in the stands when the season begins to abuse them lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad