OT: MLB 2020 Discussion Opening Day and beyond

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Brosseau of all people hitting the HR off Chapman...that script would have gotten thrown out in Hollywood given that infamous buzzball incident earlier in the season.

Yeah - karma is a bitch.

Did anyone else think that Higgy might have framed a couple of the earlier pitches and Aroldis never faces Brosseau? I'm not at all a Sanchez hater, but when you start thinking of what possibly went wrong with a team that had ALOT of things go right for it....

That was a tough one to swallow - I think I feel worst for Gardner and Urshela (who just was SUCH a player for them this year - reminded me of Nettles).

I'm really disappointed about the opportunity they had here that just passed them by- but alcohol helps. (and so does a decent Free Agency Day).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
CC apparently went off the some of the Yanks decision making in the ALDS. The Game 2 pitching choices and how they used Chapman.

It'd be a lot harder to find anyone who actually agreed with the former lol, the Chapman thing isn't quite as black and white but were these people not watching in 2016 when Maddon basically destroyed him by Game 7 using him multi-innings for multiple games in a row?

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I'm just hoping that Yankees fans are conflicted right now about which outcome they'd like less

1) Rays AL Champs
2) Cheating Astros AL Champs

As loser Mets fan, basking in the frustration of successful teams is all I have.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Blake Snell getting pulled while dominating was a fitting conclusion to the 2020 season on the field. Justin Turner getting dinged on COVID during the game and then being allowed to start the game and celebrate with the team is peak 2020 off the field.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Blake Snell getting pulled while dominating was a fitting conclusion to the 2020 season on the field. Justin Turner getting dinged on COVID during the game and then being allowed to start the game and celebrate with the team is peak 2020 off the field.

Maybe all the alcohol her was drinking during celebration helped build a barrier between Turner and his teammates and his girlfriend :laugh:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The level of reliance on the numbers to take out your best pitcher who was f***ing dealing in a must win game is insane.

To not only do that, but put in your worst reliever all postseason, is just asking for a loss. You reap what you sow.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
tin foil hat time

mlb knew around the 5th inning that turner test was positive meaning if the rays forced a game 7 it would have to be postponed for a few days and the dodgers would be without a super key player. so what happens? they ring the rays and tell them to take a dive! remove snell just at the right time and bam dodgers win and avoid postponing the game 7

like i said tin foil hat!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Former Ray David Price opted out of the season and missed out on potentially winning the World Series with the Dodgers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Former Ray David Price opted out of the season and missed out on potentially winning the World Series with the Dodgers.

Dude walked away from $10 million or so too...but I can't say I blame him. Unlike a good chunk of society he actually values health and safety and fortunately in a sense, wound up missing the superspreader event celebration.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If I were a Dodger and I got COVID, the first thing I would do when I see Turner in the spring is knock him the f*** out.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Can anyone explain to me why DeBlasio would even care about the sale of the Mets enough to intervene? As if he isn't despised already by all of NY. We have a city falling apart and the guy decides to meddle in this.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can anyone explain to me why DeBlasio would even care about the sale of the Mets enough to intervene? As if he isn't despised already by all of NY. We have a city falling apart and the guy decides to meddle in this.

Partly because it’s an ego trip with an attempted financial shakedown, partly because A-Rod and his minions still want the team and are trying to take out Cohen by hook or by crook so they’re using their mouthpiece paper (the Post) and a willing BdB as their hatchet men.

I still don’t think when push comes to shove, despite his generally horrible instincts that Bill torpedoes this. It would be suicidal for his post-mayor career, you really can’t afford to get people on all sides of the aisle mad at you and make a sworn blood enemy out of a billionaire on top of it.

Reactions: New Jersey Devils

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If I recall correctly, the White Sox hired announcer Hawk Harrelson to be GM in 1986. One of his first decisions was to fire the managers at every level, including La Russa. His rationale was that managers needed to have long MLB careers or else the players wouldn't respect them. All of their teams proceeded to have rough 1986 seasons and Harrelson quit after one year.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Dude walked away from $10 million or so too...but I can't say I blame him. Unlike a good chunk of society he actually values health and safety and fortunately in a sense, wound up missing the superspreader event celebration.

I'm pretty sure he's OK with it, especially the World Series since he was on the 2018 Red Sox champions. The money? Again, with career earnings of over $200 million I'm doubting it's holding him back financially.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
This’ll be interesting

Dude is 76 years old and 10 years removed from managing when the 2021 season starts. He always struck me as a guy who thinks he's smarter than everyone else, so it isn't surprising he still believes he can manage and relate to today's players.

Reactions: tr83

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does it sound bad that when I first started reading that (especially with the intro citing all of his accolades and the fact that he’s up there in age) I thought it was an announcement that he had passed away?

Never expected to see he was being named manager of an MLB team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad