Proposal: Mittelstadt (BUF) for Mercer (NJ)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I love how to you Mittlestadt having a career = progress and development, but Mercer having a poor year, but is younger and has produced better than Mittlestadt at the same age = finished product.

I don’t think anyone is saying Mercer is a finished product, but they are saying Mittelstadt is currently better, and development is (pretty notoriously) not always linear, so it’s not a sure thing he eventually will surpass him.

In any event, I think we can all agree neither team wants to make this trade.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I don’t think anyone is saying Mercer is a finished product, but they are saying Mittelstadt is currently better, and development is (pretty notoriously) not always linear, so it’s not a sure thing he eventually will surpass him.

In any event, I think we can all agree neither team wants to make this trade.

Come get your boy.

No problem, we will keep out defensively responsible 60-70 point center who is +8 on a bad team and you keep your 40 point center who is -16 on a good team.

Case closed.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Does Casey have two years of RFA status or one? Totally changes his value. Kevyn Adams told a blogger two years

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mercer is on track for 39 points
Mitts is on track for 67 points

Sounds good to me.
I guess Tage Thompson is a 50-60 point player? Maybe the Sabres should try to trade him for Blake Coleman or Charlie Coyle, who are apparently 65-70 point players now.

That's why using half a season sample size it stupid.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
we have pages of Sabres fans saying if we make any trade at all its for a top 4man....legit no offense to devils fans or you or OP...we dont want or need Mercer....like at all. Please keep him...

As a Devils fan I don’t know why we need five pages of this.

Who cares who’s hypothetically more valuable, Sabres fans aren’t kidding when they say they don’t need Mercer.

They’re tripping over young zippy C/Ws in Buffalo.

Reactions: Zman5778

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I have zero idea. My GUESS is that it'd either have to be a younger RHD with the legit potential to be a long-term top 4 RHD or we'd have to package something with Mitts to get an already-established top 4 RHD.

As far as who? No idea. I've got a lot of "ifs". IF Colorado had a spare RHD, they'd be a fit. I wonder if Nashville could be a fit....but Fabbro would be the only RHD that could be of interest. Boston would be a tremendous fit.....but Carlo would be the only RHD of interest, and I doubt he'd move. Calgary could be a fit, but Weegar isn't available and what would we need to add to get Andersson?

Lots of ifs, but nothing really "good".

Fabbro, is mid to low level return. Just being honest. The advanced metrics, and wall work that Mitts has shown this year, have him progressing great. He's a true second line center. I'd trade him for Andersson potentially giving up more than Mittelstadt, but players like Fabbro, or Harris (MTL) make little to no dent on any tanigble move. Trading him for a winger, doesn't do much for me either. I don't see much that NJ would really want to move for him.

Cozens isn't going anywhere.

Kakko for Mittelstadt??

View attachment 819070

We're not looking at your trash, thanks.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
What about Something around one of Barron/Xhekaj/Struble + a depth forward on a decent contract (RHP maybe?) + WPG 1st?

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Fabbro, is mid to low level return. Just being honest. The advanced metrics, and wall work that Mitts has shown this year, have him progressing great. He's a true second line center. I'd trade him for Andersson potentially giving up more than Mittelstadt, but players like Fabbro, or Harris (MTL) make little to no dent on any tanigble move. Trading him for a winger, doesn't do much for me either. I don't see much that NJ would really want to move for him.

Cozens isn't going anywhere.

We're not looking at your trash, thanks.
Kakko, Schneider, Berard + 1st

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What about Something around one of Barron/Xhekaj/Struble + a depth forward on a decent contract (RHP maybe?) + WPG 1st?
Our GM Kevyn Adams came out yesterday and said that he's done accepting futures in trades (and that he wants to re-sign Mitts....and that Mitts wants to re-sign).

So no, that package wouldn't do.

Reactions: Colezuki

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
No problem, we will keep out defensively responsible 60-70 point center who is +8 on a bad team and you keep your 40 point center who is -16 on a good team.

Case closed.
You did a great job of providing the example of why a public forum never really generates any constructive discussion.

1 - Use of Hyperbole: Check
At this point neither player is a 60-70 point player. Pacing and doing are very different things
2 - Ignore obvious facts: Check
1 player is 25 was drafted in 2017 and has had 6 years of NHL development, while 1 player is 3 years younger with significantly less NHL development (yet the stats for each player are very comparable).
3 - Ignore contract status: Check
One player is 2 years away from UFA and is in need of a new contract. This player is having their best season statistically so will be looking for a significant raise in the off-season, the other is still on their entry level deal, has 4 more years until UFA status, and given their production so far will have a smaller contract (with more years of control) than the other player.
4 - Use your players absolute best season as their baseline evaluation, but use a down year as the other players evaluation: Check
60-70 pts for CM but 40 for DM - nice try
5 - Ignore reports indicating 1 player is being shopped: Check
It has been mentioned by several insiders that CM is on the block. There are no indications the Devils have any interest in moving Mercer.
6 - Using pointless stats to try to prove your point: Check
Why would you list CM +8 and DM -16, when a real quick check shows CM has been a minus player for 5 of his 6 seasons. CM has a career -42 how come this wasn't part of your player take?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
i haven’t looked st rosters but I do believe there are a few nhl or nhl ready RD 25 or younger who can play mid pair And are defensive first.

therr could be multiple trades or one big one.

i dont think this makes sense for either team in OP offer

teams calling does not mean buffalo is selling.
Its helpful if you throw out at least a couple names. The entire premise of your post sort of hinges on these under 25 RHD that are available.

The OP offer is a push

Have cap concerns on Hamifin both in money and term. thats before you factor in whats getting sent back.

They would rather get a more cost controlled RD with on an ELC or on a starter bridge or just signed a $4M deal the next 4 years.

except its not a career year...hes been this way for 2+ years.
he was playing like this in his 2 40 game seasons where he scored at 0.5 points per game in both seasons?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You did a great job of providing the example of why a public forum never really generates any constructive discussion.

1 - Use of Hyperbole: Check
At this point neither player is a 60-70 point player. Pacing and doing are very different things
2 - Ignore obvious facts: Check
1 player is 25 was drafted in 2017 and has had 6 years of NHL development, while 1 player is 3 years younger with significantly less NHL development (yet the stats for each player are very comparable).
3 - Ignore contract status: Check
One player is 2 years away from UFA and is in need of a new contract. This player is having their best season statistically so will be looking for a significant raise in the off-season, the other is still on their entry level deal, has 4 more years until UFA status, and given their production so far will have a smaller contract (with more years of control) than the other player.
4 - Use your players absolute best season as their baseline evaluation, but use a down year as the other players evaluation: Check
60-70 pts for CM but 40 for DM - nice try
5 - Ignore reports indicating 1 player is being shopped: C
It has been mentioned by several insiders that CM is on the block. There are no indications the Devils have any interest in moving Mercer.
6 - Using pointless stats to try to prove your point: Check
Why would you list CM +8 and DM -16, when a real quick check shows CM has been a minus player for 5 of his 6 seasons. CM has a career -42 how come this wasn't part of your player take?
Can you point out the hyperbole in my statement? Thanks!

This whole post is complete nonsense. Posts like this is the reason why there is never any constructive discussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad