Proposal: Mittelstadt (BUF) for Mercer (NJ)

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Mercer is a pretty special player and he’s so young that there’s so much room to grow. I can understand why every team would want him. I’d love him on the Flames. But I would think it would be unlikely for Jersey to part with him

Reactions: Chainshot

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Sabres should be looking at something like Zacha for Haula type trade.

Target a player who fills a badly needed role and commands a modest salary. Give up the better talent but create a better team.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Mittelstadt is about to be an RFA and has zero reason to take a discount with the Devils (think about how Meier took top money to sign while Bratt and JHughes probably took less). So there's no fit for the Devils who will be cap strapped very soon when they have to decent money to some goalie and then account for LHughes and Nemec' raises in a year and two.

Mercer can be bridged at lowish money given that he's not having that great a year. I'm actually against committing any sort of long term deal to him. I'd rather keep the cap hit as low as possible during his RFA years and spend that money on other pieces (goalie and another defensive D potentially). He might become a 'core' member that you try to keep around at all costs but he also might not. Remember that Kasperi Kapanen looked like that type of player for awhile until he wasn't.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
No problem, we will keep out defensively responsible 60-70 point center who is +8 on a bad team and you keep your 40 point center who is -16 on a good team.

Case closed.
Mercer isn't a center but go ahead. 113 less games, one less goal. -29 differential too. Good luck bud.
IMG_3812.jpeg

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Mercer isn't a center but go ahead. 113 less games, one less goal. -29 differential too. Good luck bud. View attachment 818804
Mittelstadt isn't a goal scorer, he's definitely more of a playmaker, so he'll obviously lag in the goal scoring department. +/- is also a terrible metric to use as it's massively influenced by the quality of the team the player is on, there's little doubt that NJ has and has had a better overall team than the Sabres. There doesn't need to be a shit throwing contest between the two fanbases involved here. I'd rather have Mittelstadt because he's a true center, who's developed a great two way game. If necessary I'd move him in a deal that addresses a need for Buffalo. Dawson Mercer doesn't really address any sort of need. I have no issue with Devils fans who'd prefer to keep Mercer and gamble on his upside, the cost controlled years also seem to be an added benefit.

Reactions: dire wolf and DJN21

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Mittelstadt isn't a goal scorer, he's definitely more of a playmaker, so he'll obviously lag in the goal scoring department. +/- is also a terrible metric to use as it's massively influenced by the quality of the team the player is on, there's little doubt that NJ has and has had a better overall team than the Sabres. There doesn't need to be a shit throwing contest between the two fanbases involved here. I'd rather have Mittelstadt because he's a true center, who's developed a great two way game. If necessary I'd move him in a deal that addresses a need for Buffalo. Dawson Mercer doesn't really address any sort of need. I have no issue with Devils fans who'd prefer to keep Mercer and gamble on his upside, the cost controlled years also seem to be an added benefit.
My response was directly related to the state in which the person I quoted used. I like Mittelstadt but there's no reason for NJ to move Mercer for him.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
My response was directly related to the state in which the person I quoted used. I like Mittelstadt but there's no reason for NJ to move Mercer for him.
Yeah I get that and while I understand that specific posters point that Buffalo isn't moving a guy in Mitts that has broken out and become one of our best players he clearly missed the mark on Mercer. There's a lot to like there and calling a young guy who's still developing a "40 point player" based on one partial season is certainly disingenuous.

Reactions: Billdo

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This w
Thread was not posted by a sabres fan. Your analysis isheabily skewed toward early yr misd management. Most here would have had him play in ahl is first fee years of 18/19, 19/20.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
That's kind of a silly way to look at it, no? It ignores their previous work and focuses solely on like 2/3s of a season.
If you want to trade based on what a player did 3 years ago you should trade for Huberdeau. I bet he is dirt cheap.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Dude I never proposed the trade. Check yourself, go after the OP for posting it.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
no...no not yet but thats kinda the point of trading for immediate help and the cost of later help (maybe). Thats basically how most trades go.
The divide (if there really is any) between the players is not large enough to warrant a trade.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The divide (if there really is any) between the players is not large enough to warrant a trade.
we have pages of Sabres fans saying if we make any trade at all its for a top 4man....legit no offense to devils fans or you or OP...we dont want or need Mercer....like at all. Please keep him...

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Didn't say you did but you were who I was responding to. You're the one who mentioned the stats.
Ya cause I am not interested in the trade and every stat that I posted was factual.

Its not my fault you have having trouble with it.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Ya cause I am not interested in the trade and every stat that I posted was factual.

It’s not my fault you have having trouble with it.

I love how to you Mittlestadt having a career = progress and development, but Mercer having a poor year, but is younger and has produced better than Mittlestadt at the same age = finished product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad