Proposal: Mittelstadt (BUF) for Mercer (NJ)

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
This came up to my mind when I read the latest Trade Watch List from The Fourth Period. I know it's not always the most reliable source, and I don't expect this to happen, but let's discuss this just for fun.

"9. Casey Mittelstadt, C - Buffalo Sabres​

The Sabres are taking calls on Mittelstadt, who can become an RFA this July. As TFP’s David Pagnotta reported, the Sabres are interested in a talent-for-talent swap and are not looking to move him for future assets. While this could be a move that happens in the summer, momentum could build between the time of this update and deadline day."

Last year Mercer's value was probably higher than Mittelstadt's, now it's the opposite.

:sabres
Mercer + 2nd

:devils
Mittelstadt

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Where was Mittlestadt 3 years ago?

I'm a big fan of his but Mercer is a perfect fit for the Devils moving forward.
Ummm...developing? How dare he at 22 develop more. Who cares about 3 years ago. Bad take.

As a GM you gonna make a trade based on stats from 3 years ago? Come on man.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No problem, we will keep out defensively responsible 60-70 point center and you keep your 40 point center who is -16 on a good team.

Case closed.

Never has scored 70 points, has never hit 20 goals, and the player acquired is 3 years younger. Mittelstadt is currently playing his best hockey but you’re sleeping on Dawson where all Devils are kind of having an off year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm mostly stat watching Mittelstadt, so I'm not sure how good he really is. :laugh:
Mitts is a legit NHL 2C going forward. Defensively responsible, a beast on the backcheck and is super hard to separate from the puck once he's got it. Very good passer with an underrated shot that he needs to use more.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Never has scored 70 points, has never hit 20 goals, and the player acquired is 3 years younger. Mittelstadt is currently playing his best hockey but you’re sleeping on Dawson where all Devils are kind of having an off year.
He is on track for 67. So does my statement hold true? 60-70. Falls in the upper part of that.

I never said I wanted Mercer. I said close the thread, keep him. You dont have to try to sell the trade to me.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ummmmmmmmmmm...developing? How dare he at 22 develop more. Who cares about 3 years ago. Bad take.

As a GM you gonna make a trade based on stats from 3 years ago? Come on man.
The point is that Mercer is 3 years behind Mittlestadt.

It's also funny that you called a 25 year old with a career high 59 points a "60-70" point player, while the guy with 56 points last year as a 21 year old is a "40 point" player.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The value seems fine........but I don't see the point. Mercer can hopefully become what Mitts is now, and I don't think that's the kind of deal Adams is looking for.
What are they looking for anyway? Just a different dynamic? More veteran guys? Are they just worried about spending the money on 3 good centers?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The point is that Mercer is 3 years behind Mittlestadt.

It's also funny that you called a 25 year old with a career high 59 points a "60-70" point player, while the guy with 56 points last year as a 21 year old is a "40 point" player.
So, when making a trade are you not trading for what the player will do for your team in the future?

Not what a player did 3 years ago. Its a bad take.

With a 12.3% on ice sh% at 5v5 lol.
So then we agree. You keep Mercer and we keep Mitts.

I never made the trade proposal bud. A devils fan did.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What are they looking for anyway? Just a different dynamic? More veteran guys? Are they just worried about spending the money on 3 good centers?

I don't think we're actively shopping Mitts unless he's looking for money that is significantly more than Tage and Cozens.

But if we do trade Mitts, I imagine we'd be looking for a legit top 4 RHD and/or a more veteran two-way 3rd line-center type. And more grit.

Reactions: stevo61

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So, when making a trade are you not trading for what the player will do for your team in the future?

Not what a player did 3 years ago. Its a bad take.
My point isn't that Mittelstadt is the player he was 3 years ago. It's that Mercer is 3 years younger, and well ahead of where Casey was at that point.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
I don't think we're actively shopping Mitts unless he's looking for money that is significantly more than Tage and Cozens.

But if we do trade Mitts, I imagine we'd be looking for a legit top 4 RHD and/or a more veteran two-way 3rd line-center type. And more grit.

Can you think of examples of legit top 4 rhd with terms that teams would be willing to let go while being able cap wise to sign mitts long term at 7m per year? Just being genuinely curious here not trolling

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Can you think of examples of legit top 4 rhd with terms that teams would be willing to let go while being able cap wise to sign mitts long term at 7m per year? Just being genuinely curious here not trolling

I have zero idea. My GUESS is that it'd either have to be a younger RHD with the legit potential to be a long-term top 4 RHD or we'd have to package something with Mitts to get an already-established top 4 RHD.

As far as who? No idea. I've got a lot of "ifs". IF Colorado had a spare RHD, they'd be a fit. I wonder if Nashville could be a fit....but Fabbro would be the only RHD that could be of interest. Boston would be a tremendous fit.....but Carlo would be the only RHD of interest, and I doubt he'd move. Calgary could be a fit, but Weegar isn't available and what would we need to add to get Andersson?

Lots of ifs, but nothing really "good".

Reactions: Remparts666

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad