Speculation: Mitchkov or Zach Benson.

Who do you pick

• Matvei Mitchkov

• Zach Benson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I have trouble taking the Michkov excitement seriously.

First of all he has a contract in the KHL until 2026. That means the team that drafts him loses RFA years at a minimum cost, and he may even opt to never sign an ELC and simply join whichever team he wants as a UFA. Lastly, it sacrifices prime years of Suzuki, Caulfield, etc.

Second, and this part is not his fault, there's a major NATO -Russia proxy war in Ukraine. It's some of the worst warfare since 1945, and it's probably only going to get worse. Sergei Lavrov and Antony Blinken -- most of you don't know who they are -- only met for ten minutes at the G20 meeting because the Indian hosts demanded it. It was ten minutes of nothing.

Quite frankly, any Russian player who is not already in North America may never make it over.
The geopolitical impact of that can’t be understated, there could be a very legitimate chance michkov never leaves or comes over when he only has to play 1 year on an ELC

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
The excitement comes from his play, which is phenomenal. You just rattled off political issues. Those are pertinent to his draft stock and to a team who's taking a chance on him, of course. But you cannot say you have trouble taking the excitement for Michkov seriously based off of that.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

First of all he has a contract in the KHL until 2026. That means the team that drafts him loses RFA years at a minimum cost, and he may even opt to never sign an ELC and simply join whichever team he wants as a UFA. Lastly, it sacrifices prime years of Suzuki, Caulfield, etc.

Second, and this part is not his fault, there's a major NATO -Russia proxy war in Ukraine. It's some of the worst warfare since 1945, and it's probably only going to get worse. Sergei Lavrov and Antony Blinken -- many of you don't know who they are -- only met for ten minutes at the G20 meeting because the Indian hosts demanded it. It was ten minutes of nothing.

Quite frankly, any Russian player who is not already in North America may never make it over.
This is all just speculation

For the same reasons you just stated there’s an equally good chance that KHL contracts become absolutely meaningless and he’s here in two years

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Tough one, probably Michkov since he will be ready for the nhl when he can come over but the idea of a strong two way player with high high offensive potential would be tempting also…would not be mad with either one

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
My point is you are comparing to guys with a better toolbox and a better IQ (Michkov) when you rank him #2 or guys with much better toolboxes (Fantilli, Carlsson). The road to the top 4 for Benson is only there if you believe Fantilli's IQ is too low for the top 5 or becoming a center. I happen to be in that camp, but I don't think Benson IQ is actually elite, I think it's very good - and this makes the argument difficult vs. Fantilli. I am having a hard time correctly evaluating where Yager fits because I think he's way undervalued by scouts as he becomes a 2-way center in the style of Suzuki.

Bedard
Michkov
Carlsson

Benson
Yager / Fantilli
Fantilli / Yager
Smith

But you are taking Benson ahead of Michkov, that's a bit much. Michkov is superior to Benson in every way possible.
I'm sorry. I stopped reading at better IQ. Benson is the top of class in that aspect.

We're just never going to budge.

• Haha
Reactions: Talik Sanis

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I'm sorry. I stopped reading at better IQ. Benson is the top of class in that aspect.

We're just never going to budge.
With all due respect, you have previously admitted to never seeing Michkov play. Benson is the better defensive player, but I think Michkov has better vision and offensive IQ. He constantly sets up his teammates with ridiculous passes and complements his incredible vision with a tremendous goal-scoring ability. Benson does not have the playmaking ability that Michkov has, in my opinion. This isn't to denigrate Benson; Michkov simply is elite at creating offense in every way possible. With that being said, I love Benson as a prospect and I would be ecstatic if we were in a position to draft him.

You'd be surprised at how well Michkov sees the ice. Even today he could have had three or four assists if his teammates had capitalized on his passes.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
What Michkov is doing this year in the KHL at his age and on a team that's absolute garbage is nothing short of ridiculous.

If you take Benson then sure you might be happy the first few years if he develops into a solid 1B/2A center. But a few years down the line when Michkov finally makes the move to the NHL, you'll start regretting that pick the first minute he laces up.

Michkov is clear cut number 2 talent in this draft and would've been the most talented guy in any draft since the Matthews draft. The fact that political/contract issues have the potential to make him drop to us at 5th could be a blessing.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Considering that Montreal will be competitive in five years, there's even less of a question as to which of the players should be selected. Mitchkov is literally on a different tier than anyone in this draft outside of Bedard, and would join the team, even assuming that he plays out the entirety of his contract in the KHL, at just the right time to contribute to potential cup runs. If he's there at 7/8 - I do not believe he's going to get passed the Hawks or Sharks - you take him.

No more drafting of guys who might make it as second line players if every aspect of their development goes well.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
The geopolitical impact of that can’t be understated, there could be a very legitimate chance michkov never leaves or comes over when he only has to play 1 year on an ELC

This. If Michkov was guaranteed to come over, he would be the obvious choice. However, the choice comes down to the assessment of when Michkov will come over and if any geopolitical impact could hinder him coming over.

I voted for Michkov, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I am happy settling for Benson if the risk of Michkov is deemed too high.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
We don’t even know where we drafting yet

3rd overall is like 6pts away from us and we by a country mile have the most difficult schedule of the bottom 7.
Plus there's a lottery that has a 50% probability of a team outside the top 3 drafting 1st overall.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Lol... yeah no. His toolbox is incredibly super duper.

Flavour of the month?! LOL

Kid was over a PPG in his pre-draft eligible season. That's not common.

He also had one of the highest productions rates in the WHL as a 15-year-old.

Flavour of the Month.... :biglaugh:
The answer is still Michkov. The only thing Benson has in his favour is that a dictator from his native country hasn’t invaded another country and fought against the Ukraine in the US proxy war. Michkov is better in every way.

Reactions: DAChampion

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Lol... yeah no. His toolbox is incredibly super duper.

Flavour of the month?! LOL

Kid was over a PPG in his pre-draft eligible season. That's not common.

He also had one of the highest productions rates in the WHL as a 15-year-old.

Flavour of the Month.... :biglaugh:
Michkov is statistically the best Russian prospect ever while playing on arguably the worst KHL team of all time

It is not close I’m sorry

Reactions: Andrei79 and SOLR

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I think it is possible to have a covert discussion with Michkov. It needs to be a “friend” of the Habs, someone I am sure Bobrov can find.

Because if Michkov does want to come over, the NHL team will probably only need to give some money to HC. It might be all part of the negociations HC had with Michkov. Everyone wins and both HC and Michkov get protection.

Anyway, just a thought. I don’t see this as a big issue for the NHL.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
The geo-political side of this argument can't really be answered at this stage with the current general knowledge based on Michkov's situation.

If the Habs brass believes Michkov is a potential option for them, I am very confident they will do everything in their power (resources, connections, etc.) to understand the situation better, before making their choice. This would make or break their potential selection of Michkov, or deem him a risk too great and go with their next choice.

Without this information, we can't make an educated choice with the current general knowledge available to us.

IMO Michkov is the better player right now based on on-ice performance, however, his situation certainly complicates the choice. I also think Montreal (as well as Chicago & potentially Vancouver) would be an enticing option for him and have the necessary resources to make it happen.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The answer is still Michkov. The only thing Benson has in his favour is that a dictator from his native country hasn’t invaded another country and fought against the Ukraine in the US proxy war. Michkov is better in every way.
The only thing? Are you cracked. That is by far the most important thing. Putin is running out of soldiers. Will he stop or draft any able bodied male he can find? If Putin is still in power in 4 months can a team take the risk when the top 5-7 may all be elite talents?

Reactions: phillytennis

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The only thing? Are you cracked. That is by far the most important thing. Putin is running out of soldiers. Will he stop or draft any able bodied male he can find? If Putin is still in power in 4 months can a team take the risk when the top 5-7 may all be elite talents?
Lolol f*** Putin.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Benson is the safer choice given we wouldn't have to worry IF he's ever going to come.

However given Michkov's potential, I'll roll the dice and take a chance on him. We aren't going to be a very competitive team for a couple years anyways, if we can keep improving and then add Michkov in his early 20's he could have a huge impact like Kaprizov did in Minnesota.

A PP with Hutson on the point feeding both Caufield and Michkov would be insane.

Jul 6, 2016
Benson is the safer choice given we wouldn't have to worry IF he's ever going to come.

However given Michkov's potential, I'll roll the dice and take a chance on him. We aren't going to be a very competitive team for a couple years anyways, if we can keep improving and then add Michkov in his early 20's he could have a huge impact like Kaprizov did in Minnesota.

A PP with Hutson on the point feeding both Caufield and Michkov would be insane.
Smallest PP in the NHL for sure. They ccould hide anywhere on the ice ! Ot be annilihated by strong big teams.

He will for the next decade.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad